What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Sep 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #316 of 865

Very nicely written. Quick question for you, when attaching a 3.5mm cable to the dongle to plug into, say, a car's AUX input, would you leave the phone volume on max, or a click below?

Sorry for the late reply. Maximum volume should be fine because the car's aux input should have a higher impedance than 16 ohms. The output of the Lightning adapter will not clip. Ten years ago, you couldn't do this on an iPod because the output went into clipping at maximum volume, even with a high-impedance load, but no iOS device has had this problem since the iPod Classic.

BTW, I updated my original report of the adapter (post 292 of this thread) with clearer CCIF IMD graphs, J-test results, and a more carefully calculated output impedance:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627111/what-is-the-sound-quality-of-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/285#post_12872457

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #317 of 865
Sorry for the late reply. Maximum volume should be fine because the car's aux input should have a higher impedance than 16 ohms. The output of the Lightning adapter will not clip. Ten years ago, you couldn't do this on an iPod because the output went into clipping at maximum volume, even with a high-impedance load, but no iOS device has had this problem since the iPod Classic.

BTW, I updated my original report of the adapter (post 292 of this thread) with clearer CCIF IMD graphs, J-test results, and a more carefully calculated output impedance:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627111/what-is-the-sound-quality-of-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/285#post_12872457

Thanks. I kind of figured that out anyway, as the iPhone is technically being fed into the DAC of the dongle, so it's much like feeding it into my Oppo HA-2. And Oppo suggests to set the phone output at maximum volume.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #318 of 865
What a great set of data about the dongle Yuriv!

I think that the dongle is going to give 3rd party Lightning cable makers a run for our money.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #319 of 865
Hi guys, a newbie here. Planning to get an apple device just for listening to music through Spotify. Which has the better audio quality between the iPhone 5s, Ipod touch 5th or 6th gen. Thanks in advance for the help!

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #320 of 865
Hi guys, a newbie here. Planning to get an apple device just for listening to music through Spotify. Which has the better audio quality between the iPhone 5s, Ipod touch 5th or 6th gen. Thanks in advance for the help!

The iPod 4th Gen is the best Apple device for sound. The iPhone for music is OK at best. It's not great. But to be honest, I would not go near a current iPod.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #321 of 865

It all depends on the headphones you're using.  They all measure similarly.

If you're using good quality headphones designed for mobile use, the sound quality can be perfectly acceptable.

But use something that's hard to drive, it's going to suck.  The built-in amps just aren't that powerful.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #323 of 865
Stuck New Year's Day at my parents in laws place with nothing but my wife's iPad mini 4 and my Shure SE846... wow. Compared to my Samsung S7 (snapdragon version) this sounds awesome. Well impressed by the sound quality. Anyone know of any measurements online?

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #325 of 865
The new ipod touch 6 is amazing imo. I've compared it to a hidizs ap100,fiio x1 ,gs3&4&,iPhone 5s,c,iPhone 6,ischitt mimmby(modimb). Maybe my hearing is bad.. lucky me!

I have an iPhone 6s and it is not all that good. I can blow away any iPod Touch/iPhone in terms of sound with a Fiio X3II that costs less than $200. So yes, your iPod Touch 6 is nothing special.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #326 of 865
I have an iPhone 6s and it is not all that good. I can blow away any iPod Touch/iPhone in terms of sound with a Fiio X3II that costs less than $200. So yes, your iPod Touch 6 is nothing special.

Yours must be defective because my iPhone 6s blows away both TotalDAC and Auralic.  Just completely shames them into running home to their sugar daddies.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #328 of 865

Same with my 7 Plus.  In fact, I have to limit my listening sessions or I overdose on audio bliss.  Simply fantastic.

So much more clarity, it's like:

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #329 of 865
If you actually listen to what good audio is,you'd not be saying your Apple device is wonderful. It's really not. The best Apple device for audio is the iPod 4. The iPod Touches & iPhones are rubbish.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #330 of 865
  If you actually listen to what good audio is,you'd not be saying your Apple device is wonderful. It's really not. The best Apple device for audio is the iPod 4. The iPod Touches & iPhones are rubbish.

The iPod 4 is an iPod Touch, I thought.  I have that, too.  Sounds yucky compared to my iPhone 7 Plus, and my hearing is outrageous.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back