What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #766 of 865
But we use Apple’s lightning to 3,5 dongle anymore for audio out.

Yes but the iPhone includes more components inside which can cause interference to the audio quality/chip... the standalone iPod will rank higher than any mobile phone.

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #768 of 865
Yes but the iPhone includes more components inside which can cause interference to the audio quality/chip... the standalone iPod will rank higher than any mobile phone.

How does interference affect the audio quality?

G

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #769 of 865
You can look at the measurements and see that there is no audible interference.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #771 of 865

Even if that was the case, as you say, these are “components inside”. But dongle is not inside; it takes the digital signal out of the phone through the lightning port and gives us the desired analogue signal by using its included DAC. This whole procedure takes place out of the phone, not inside.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #772 of 865
Even if that was the case, as you say, these are “components inside”. But dongle is not inside; it takes the digital signal out of the phone through the lightning port and gives us the desired analogue signal by using its included DAC. This whole procedure takes place out of the phone, not inside.
I don't really know of what I speak but doesn't that signal originate and travel through the phone stuffed with all the components associated with numerous other tasks that the phone performs? It seems reasonable to assume that it is going to pick up some noise on its way to the dongle...

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #773 of 865
Just because something seems like it might be so, it doesn't make it so. The iPhone is designed to put out clean sound and it does.

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #774 of 865
I don't really know of what I speak but doesn't that signal originate and travel through the phone stuffed with all the components associated with numerous other tasks that the phone performs? It seems reasonable to assume that it is going to pick up some noise on its way to the dongle...
IMO the answer to something like that comes from measurements, not from the arbitrary decision that cellphone interference must ruin the sound. they might not even generate something reaching the magnitude of all the other noises and distortions already in the default audio circuitry, headphone distos, room noises, etc. don't fall for the classic audiophile tunnel vision where we look at something in complete isolation and decide that if it seems worst that way, then it's worst and it really matters in a full playback system.
to play devil's advocate, we could wonder if a cellphone that was fully optimized to try and shield its own sensitive components, might not give a better result than something without such a carefully designed shielding and sitting in the vicinity of the cellphone we're probably carrying with us anyway?:imp:

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #775 of 865

It probably does but again, how does "some noise" in the (digital data) signal affect the quality of the (analogue) audio signal?

G

Jun 8, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #776 of 865

Attachments

• 3J3A3306.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #777 of 865
Wish Apple would allow for customization of the volume steps on the IOS devices. Given how well the dongle measures, I would bet one of the major drivers behind perceived differences in sound quality between Iphone/Ipod and mid-tier DAP's is just the ability to fine tune listening volumes.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #778 of 865
Wish Apple would allow for customization of the volume steps on the IOS devices. Given how well the dongle measures, I would bet one of the major drivers behind perceived differences in sound quality between Iphone/Ipod and mid-tier DAP's is just the ability to fine tune listening volumes.

17 steps(including completely muted). 16 squares on my iPods touch 4-6, iPad Mini, and iPhones. 10 steps/squares is comfortably loud via my MDR-7506, and 12-14 steps for my Beyer 880s(250ohm).

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #779 of 865
Sorry if this is the wrong thread... does anybody know why it would be the case that I can load Eagles Hotel California in 24/192 as an AIFF file to the stock music app on my iPod Touch 7th Generation but if I convert the same files to ALAC (tried with iTunes and XLD keeping the bit depth and sample rate the same) I get an error saying that the ALAC files can not be played on the iPod Touch?

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #780 of 865
I'm not positive, but my guess is that the 192 is the problem, not the 24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back