1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by dlangendorf, Sep 12, 2012.
First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
  1. Mirimar
    I agree. I just don’t understand why it works at 192 in AIFF format but not ALAC. I’m not even playing it at 192 it’s just that it’s a much better recording than the 16/44 CD I have from 1976 which sounds terrible.

2. bigshot
    It probably has something to do with the ALAC codec, not the hardware itself. I bet if you open it in a sound editing program and bounce it down to 96 or 44.1 it will work and won't sound any different.

Mirimar likes this.
  3. gregorio
    My guess would be that it's an apple software restriction for it's own lossless codec. Certainly the decoding of a 192/24 ALAC is easily within the ipod's processor capabilities but maybe it's enough of an extra processor hit to reduce the battery life to below the listening time advertised, if you were to continually play 192/24 ALACs. That would be my guess.

G

Mirimar likes this.
  4. bigshot
    I don't see the advantage of such a high sampling rate in a portable device anyway.

5. castleofargh Contributor
    can you confirm that the AIFF file is indeed what's stored in the ipod itself? not sure because of the way you say it, but would it be possible that the app just converts the file and sends something else entirely?

6. TheSonicTruth
    That's because you - and I - are not audiophiles! :D

7. bigshot
    I prefer to call myself a "Hi Fi Nut"!

8. castleofargh Contributor
    if it's a desire for higher bit depth and sample rate, wouldn't that make the person an objectivist?
    funny-stuff.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. TheSonicTruth
    I don't know if you're just kidding? Otherwise I'd refer you to Monte's Digital Audio articles and clips on Xiph.

10. bigshot
    I think someone who likes bigger numbers would be called a Numeraphile

11. Mirimar
    I’m definitely not worried about the sample rate of the file. I’m only worried about using this recording as it sounds really good compared to the CD version I have from 1976. I can reduce the sample rate to from 192 to 48 but if the EXACT same file as AIFF can be loaded onto the device I can’t see why the ALAC version can’t. Unless the stock Apple Music app or iTunes reduces the sample rate of AIFF files and not ALAC.

12. bigshot
    Bouncing it down won't hurt the sound quality at all if you use a good sound editing app.

13. Mirimar
    Yes. AIFF 24/192 is fine - the same files all things being equal doesn’t work as ALAC. Not a big deal I was just curious!

14. castleofargh Contributor
    oh I completely understand curious ^_^. sadly that was my only idea. maybe someone more familiar with those devices will turn up one day.

First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52