What is the Saddest song ever written?
Aug 24, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #302 of 656
While I'm not sure if it's THE saddest song I know, I'm surprised no one in this thread has mentioned Beloved Wife by Natalie Merchant. If you haven't heard it, it's about the deep pain of losing a wife after decades of marriage and not being able to imagine living life without her.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #304 of 656
For the life of me I can't figure out why people hate Green Day so much, not that I am a fan but it seems to me the biggest crime they ever commited was selling cds.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #306 of 656
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
because they're the music industry's lamer who won't stop yelling "I DIED MY HAIR AND GEL AND IM SO PUNK GUYS LOLI HAET THE GOVERNMENT AMIRITE????"

this is different from any other punk band how?

Let me restate I am not a Green Day fan, however all punk sounds exactly the same "real" or "fake". I think its funny how "real" punk fans hate green day when they sound just like their favorite "punk" band except they are more experienced and far more popular.

Carry on however with the "real" punk that hasn't changed a bit since 1978

EDIT: Sorry for the thread derail, I will shut up now.............anarchy in the uk.....

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #308 of 656
About hating Greenday: I don't

i actually love greenday, but not their new stuff.

10 years ago their attitude was ***** it. it seems american idiot was all about sellings albums

they have fallen into the trap where selling albums is their main prioriity, and they have changed so much since when they started. black eye makeup ten years ago? i dont think so.

although i dont like their new music, i give them alot of credit to try to point out what is wrong with the world. "wake me up when september ends" is great for all of the uninfluenced kidds to help convince them that WAR AGAINST ANOTHER COUNTRY WHO HASNT HARMED US (is bad, and war is bad in general) no mantter what their uneduacted parents say.

in this aspect i am all for greenday (though i dont like their current style of music) but while teenagers are rebelling against their parents, they might as well understand that war is bad and republicans are idiots ----> (this isnt always right, but in this age, you have to asume anyone who voted for bush is NTB -not too bright

im done with my rant now,

but greenday had a solid fanbase in the early 90s, and it is those fans who are now hating greenday for changing the ***** it attiude they once stood for.

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #309 of 656
New nominee: "No Mother" by Old 97's. Words are below, but they lose something w/o the music:

In the valley of the shadows I’m waiting
For mother and the other ones I love
So know I’ll always love you
Until we meet above

In the battle of the bottle I’m an innocent
And the breaking of glass I’m lost
In the shadow of a downtown overpass
My last I did exhaust

No no no mother should ever have to lose a son
No no no mother especially not such a handsome one

In the middle of the meadow I’m waiting
For mother and the other ones I love
There’s no good why this came to pass
There’s only just because

No no no mother should ever have to lose a son
No no no mother especially such a handsome one

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #310 of 656
This has already been mentioned but i was only listening to the lyrics of Gilbert O'Sulllivans song "Alone Again Naturally" the other day & thought OMG what a depressingly sad song.

One of the best renditions of this song i have heard is by a young Canadian Jazz singer Lori Cullen on her album "Calling for Rain". (Highly Recommended)

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #315 of 656
Couldn't bring myself to read the entire thread, but there's certainly a shedload of suicidal bleakness checked within it. How about "Cigarette" by Ben Folds? Quoting from the memory into which it has been etched, the entire lyric is as follows:

"Frank Jones was worn out caring for his often screaming and crying wife through the day but he couldn't sleep at night for fear that she in a stupour from the drugs that didn't ease the pain would set the house ablaze with a cigarette."

Another humdinger of a party classic is "End of the Rainbow" by Richard Thompson. Again quoting from memory, but this time only part:

I bleed for you, you little horror, safe at your mother's breast ...
No lucky break for you around the corner.
Your daddy: he's a bully and he thinks that you're a pest.
Your sister: she's no better than a whore.

Life seems so rosy in the cradle, but I'll be a friend and tell you what's in store.
There's nothing at the end of the rainbow ... nothing to grow up for any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back