what is the best for predator
Jun 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zhou-zhou0601

New Head-Fier
as the title shown
i have the portable amp predator.i have been looking for the headphone for it a long time
at last ,i decide to buy one among the hd650 ,dt880 32 ou and the k701
but which is the best for predator?
my music source is cdplayer ej01
usually i listern to pop musics,and symphony occasionally
thanks

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 13
None of those. The 650 and 701 cant be driven properly with that portable amp. The 880 can but its very forward in the mids and highs and the 32 Ohm version will make that even worse.

I would recommend you look at headphones from AudioTechnica, Denon, Sony, and Grado as they all offer low impedance efficent headphones suitable for a portable like the Predator.

AudioCubes.com - Japan's Best Kept Secrets, Delivered.<~~These guys have most of the AT's, Sony's, and Denons. You may also want to consider the HF2 made for Head-Fi members.

The HF2 is sold through TTVJ http://www.ttvj.com/, I think you would need to e-mail him. They are numbered and limited and also come with a Joe Grado Signature. People are compairing them to 1500 dollar headphones and they run 429 I beleive.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 13
thanks for the replying
but the 701 have 63ohm and the sensitivity of 105db ,which are higher than hd650 300ohm and the the sensitivity of 103db ,lower than the dt880 32ohm so ,i think the k701 is suitable for predator
else,what model could i choose from other brand
thanks again

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhou-zhou0601 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replying
but the 701 have 63ohm and the sensitivity of 105db ,which are higher than hd650 300ohm and the the sensitivity of 103db ,lower than the dt880 32ohm so ,i think the k701 is suitable for predator
else,what model could i choose from other brand
thanks again

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...9/#post5600823 <~~Read this before you spend your money.

The 701 is one of the toughest headphones to amp properly. Even when it is amped properly is has no bass and the sound is very fatiguing which eliminates long listening sessions. You will find people talking up what they own all over the place, thus the glowing reviews of the 701. Stop looking for good reviews and find what people complain about when they speak of the 701. Like I said before, something that works well with a portable will sound better than the 701 with a portable, BIGTIME. The 701 is the biggest beginners mistake headphone ever. The 650 is easier to drive than the 701 and you notice I don't recommend the 650 even though I have it. I had the 701's too, they both sucked when used with a portable. Denon, Grado, Audiotechnica all make headphones suitable for what you need and will sound better than either the 650 or 701.

I am not wrong about this.

Both of these will beat out the 650 and 701 with a portable.

AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Air Headphones - ATH-AD700 -
AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 Air Headphones - ATH-AD900 -

Frank

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 13
Re the HD 650 & portable amps, I recently bought the RSA SR-71A and while it can't match my Woo Audio 3, it will drive the crap out of them with no shortage of power for my ear bleeding needs...I never sense that it runs short on power, no clipping,etc...pretty good considering its size.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re the HD 650 & portable amps, I recently bought the RSA SR-71A and while it can't match my Woo Audio 3, it will drive the crap out of them with no shortage of power for my ear bleeding needs...I never sense that it runs short on power, no clipping,etc...pretty good considering its size.

The Predator doesnt really compare to the SR-71A does it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator doesnt really compare to the SR-71A does it.

...don't know, never heard it. I was simply giving my opinion that the HD 650 can be driven fairly well by at least one portable amp that I've owned.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...don't know, never heard it. I was simply giving my opinion that the HD 650 can be driven fairly well by at least one portable amp that I've owned.

Do you think that implying that the op might be happy with a portable plus the 650/701 is good advice?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think that implying that the op might be happy with a portable plus the 650/701 is good advice?

I don't understand your question.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 13
I recently demoed and purchased the Predator form Ray S. Drives my D2000's and Ath-900ti very well. Listened to Sens 600 at the show and it did not impress (very short listening session at the time).

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 13
The 701 is one of the toughest headphones to amp properly. Even when it is amped properly is has no bass and the sound is very fatiguing which eliminates long listening sessions. You will find people talking up what they own all over the place, thus the glowing reviews of the 701. Stop looking for good reviews and find what people complain about when they speak of the 701. Like I said before, something that works well with a portable will sound better than the 701 with a portable, BIGTIME. The 701 is the biggest beginners mistake headphone ever. The 650 is easier to drive than the 701 and you notice I don't recommend the 650 even though I have it. I had the 701's too, they both sucked when used with a portable. Denon, Grado, Audiotechnica all make headphones suitable for what you need and will sound better than either the 650 or 701.

just as the second sentence described,in my systerm ,there is only a little of bass at 701
it seems that predator could not driver 701 properly

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Does anyone have any experience with a Alessandro MS Pro and the Predator? I received the Predator in the mail a couple weeks ago to power my D2000s, but I've been looking to upgrade my headphones more suited to Progressive Rock to either the RS1i or the MS Pro, and if I can I'd like to avoid looking for another amp. I believe the the 32 ohm impedance of the MS Pros should match the Predator fairly well, but I'm still new to this and not sure what other factors to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back