what is the best CIEM money can buy?
Dec 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 45
The Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor has to be very close to the top.  The fact that you tune your own pair to sound exactly how you want them to sound is very cool.  Its also easier to do now that they send the tuning components to you so you don't have to fly to one of the 3 locations they have setup.  If I had an extra $2000 laying around thoughs would be one near the top of my list.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

So is it still the same where it cannot ship outside EU to any other place except US? Btw I may have missed the obvious clue but why is isolation better with the SE-5 way? They are both based on impressions right? Does one stick out more?

Yes, Spiral Ear don't ship directly outside EU (it includes all non-EU countries, US included). I'm located outside EU and used a forwarding shipping address.

That is correct, both 8.A and 5-way's are molded from the same impressions and both fit very well. I have rather large ears and both are comparable with sticking out, SE 5-way maybe sticks out a fraction more.

Isolation is definitely better with the 5-way's, which don't allow as much ambient sound to bleed into. The canals are also about 2mm longer on these. I now see the difference between acrylic and silicone based monitors.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 45
If I were to buy some really high-end CIEM's, I would probably go for the Spiral Ear 5-way's. The Heir Audio 8.A's would be my second choice.
But since I don't have the money, I'm going to go with the Cosmic Ears BA4's :D

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #21 of 45
Heir Audio 8A! 
Mine clocked in at $1793. I drive it with a ALO National Amp. But because both the amps are laid-back in treble, the treble ended up very laid back. I use a PlusSound Audio Exo Silver + 1% Gold cable to improve the treble, while still retaining most of the bass. =D Awesome lush mid range, I must say. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
Heir Audio 8A! 
Mine clocked in at $1793. I drive it with a ALO National Amp. But because both the amps are laid-back in treble, the treble ended up very laid back. I use a PlusSound Audio Exo Silver + 1% Gold cable to improve the treble, while still retaining most of the bass. =D Awesome lush mid range, I must say. 

utterly jealous, congrats

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 45
I'd say the JH16 Pro-JH3a Pro (w/ TWag V3 cable total ~$2,300) or the PP6 (~$2,300), although they include amps. Second choice would be the Heir 8A (~$1,300) and my third being the Spiral Ear 5-Ways ($1,900 w/ detachable cable) or maybe the UERM (~$999). For a review of most noteworthy CIEMs you can look here http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-25-reviews-lear-lcm-5-added-2-12-13. 

- Sorry about your wallets 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:
I will second this opinion about SE 5-way Reference. My recently acquired SE 5-way are certainly top of the line in terms of their technical abilities and my sonic preferences. In fact, having owned both 8.A and LCD2, while 8.A being generally good monitors, I find them somewhat unnatural and unbalanced when compared with the SE 5-way. 8.A can also have harsh and sibilant highs from time to time to my ears, when compared to smooth, very linear and much more extended 5-way's. Isolation is also much better, obviously.
If you're looking for an upgrade to LCD2/3 and overall reference sounding monitors, that would be 5-way's in my opinion. Perhaps there are some others worth looking into as well.

Wow are you saying the Spiral Ear SE 5way can stomp Toe to Toe with the LCD Audeze Full Sized Headphone! ? I've never thought an CIEM can perform that Good, but I've also read a few other posts saying exactly what you're saying. I've also read that the Tralucent Audio T1 can look the Sennheiser HD 800 right in the face, and perform beautifully.

May 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #27 of 45
I found CIEM guru average_joe's round up pretty interesting.
http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem-list/

If you look at the "overall score" which I imagine translates to overall technical ability you find for example the Spiral Ears SE 5-way Reference scored on top with 98.2, Hidition NT-6 Pro scored 96.6, Unique Melody PP6 scored 94.0 Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor scored 90.2, Heir 8.0 scored 84.9 and (non freq phased) JH 16 Pro scored 75.9.

Not sure you can put an absolute score on sound quality, especially regarding CIEM, but I think the effort is admirable. I will for sure be reading all about what those scores translates to in real life listening.

May 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 45
I myself own the Miracles and SE5 and both are amazing CIEMs. At the 1K price point, we are more talking about signature then pure performance difference. For instance, the SE5 will have a more intimate presentation, sound extremely natural yet detailed, with great bass extention. The Miracles will sound airy and elegant, with huge space. Other things have to be considered. Silicone is more isolating and IMO more confortable, but harder to put and remove, so if you are often removing them, do not get silicon, unless you also have another pair.

You also have to consider synergy. Anyways, on any CIEM, do not only consider fanboy reviews. Look at the negative aspects and see if it could bother you. For instance Miracles do not have thick mids, so if you want that it will not work. The SE5 is very slightly on the warm side, so if you like brightness look elsewhere. The Heir 8.a (I base this comment on my owning the 5.0 that supposedly have the same sig) are slightly laid back, so if you like forward sound, you might be frustratred. Etc...

May 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #29 of 45
Hey Mimouille, you have some of the best CIEM's around.....How do you rate 1p2/ Miracle/ SE5 in order of 1to 3? I have the Miracle & love it, but the other 2 i would be be also interested in......

May 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 45
Like I said above more preference than performance. The se5 kills everybody in natural sound. The orchestra is in your ear, the 1plus2 kills everyone in bass and dynamics, the.Miracles kills everyone in airiness. The se5 does have impressive extension both ways. The 1plus2 do have crazy clarity...the Miracles do have great bass tightness. Some may perform better than others, but it is more a matter of mood and synergy. I will say more after I lived with them for a while.
I would not let any of them go.now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back