What is the absolutely WORST album/cd you ever bought?
Dec 12, 2001 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 92
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DustyChalk
Well, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I gotta disagree with you. It's not so much that he's trying to be serious, so much as, his early music was too technical, and now...the key word is "beauty" -- that's what he's going for. BTW, you may want to check out some of his most recent works such as Kiss My Axe and Plays Piazzolla (?sp), it's the best of both worlds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have and dislike Kiss My Axe. Sounds uninspired. His World Sinfonia stuff is very good, and I do like Plays Piazzolla. Even his last Al DiMeola release the Infinite Desire was good.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 92
I were supposed to get this:

d10859o4ya2.jpg

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. The best allbum made by a exbeatle IMO (yeah better than Imagine).

But instead I got this:

d005897c26l.jpg

Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

It was sorted under John Lennon in the recordstore. The covers look about the same, right? (Not all versons of the John Lennon album have text on it). What about the music? Well Yoko screams like a strangled cat for more than an hour. The backing band is really good but mrs Lennons "singing" must be among the worst ever recorded. This album is totally past notions like "good" or "bad". It's simply unlistenable.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 92
I got a chuckle about someone listing MMM. What about its jazzy equivalent, zero tolerance for silence, by Pat Metheny?

M

Dec 12, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 92
biggrin.gif
Lol, Mr_Slacker! That's a funny story. "screams like a strangled cat for more than an hour. " Man, what is that, anyway? A "can you spot the difference" album cover? I'm sure it has deep emotional signifigance, but that is really confusing. Lol. Good story.

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 92
Maybe she was trying to ride on her husband's album.

My worst mistake is Spice Girls "Spice".

Hey I was 13 then! I've learnt my lesson well.:wink:

It's now with another teen. My 13 year old sis.

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 92
When I was a kid, I bought OMD's Dazzle Ships. It left me gaping in horror because they were a pop band and they were supposed to write pop songs. This album had experimental tracks and some deep theme to it, and I wasn't into that rubbish in my preteen years. I wanted ear candy dammit! Anyway, I quickly tossed the tape, but later accepted that I was fond of some of the tracks. Oh well. I did a search of it on allmusic and they compared it to Kid A. Yeah, I could see that. Try making an 11 year old like Kid A.

Dec 12, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 92
Yoko Ono... The description of the screaming cat is actually one of the nicer ways to sum up that screech. At least it's a good way to test your equipment for how well it can make **** sound.

Honestly I'm suprised SS systems don't overheat and melt and Tubes don't explode when that *thing* is pushed through them.

I figured anything Yoko threw out there was a given for the worst ever so I didn't mention it. And 99.9999% of all pop albums are fair game too. At least they are usually recorded well. Still, you can only dress crap-up so much.

Oh, and speaking of dressing crap up, any album that has a whole song where the lead vocals are pushed through an Antares pitch fixer thingy. The occasional touch-up here and there is fine, but not all over the whole thing. I could spot those vocals on my stock AM/FM system that came in my cheap-o 94 toyota pickup with a blown speaker.

Dec 12, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by mr_slacker
Yoko screams like a strangled cat for more than an hour.

Couldn't help thinking about particular PJ Harvey moments. She spooks me out sometimes.

Dec 12, 2001 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf

Couldn't help thinking about particular PJ Harvey moments. She spooks me out sometimes.

At least she has talent and didn't break-up the Beatles!

Dec 12, 2001 at 11:55 PM Post #27 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf

Hey, I love PJ! Definitely a unique individual, eh? Whole lot of rock in that unsuspecting character.

Worst album: Pachebel's Canon in D: Ocean Waves - some clown-fudgin' company decided to overlay the sound of computerized ocean waves on the classical piece. I'm not even sure how in the hell I got this one in my collection, but probably picked it up from the Meijer's $1.99 bin.

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by mackay maus
...MMM. What about its jazzy equivalent, zero tolerance for silence, by Pat Metheny?...

Actually, there's a story behind that one. "Zero tolerance for Silence" is a slogan used by a protest group against...um...something, aids? Apartheid? I dunno...anyway, he was getting aboard the bandwagon for that. I kind of like it. It's one of the few PM albums I own and will keep.

But then again, "Swallowing Scrap Metal" makes me smile. I'm probably one of the few people who figured out where the 5 parts are.

Dec 13, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 92
Quote:

It's one of the few PM albums I own and will keep.

Actually, I love PM's soundtrack to "Falcon and the Snowman."

P.S. To all the Yoko haters... find a copy of Barenaked Ladies' "Be My Yoko Ono"
wink.gif
Great song.

Dec 13, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #30 of 92
Oh my god....

There isnt a single CD in my collection that I absolutely dislike.
smily_headphones1.gif

Counting Crows - Recovering The Satellites

Well, thats my most disliked CD. And not tottally because of the music, but because of the screetchy honky recording.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back