What is the absolutely WORST album/cd you ever bought?
Dec 11, 2001 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
mad.gif
Just for the record books: What's the worst, epitome of bad, most stinkaroo, biggest disappointment, dumbest all-time purchase, unlistenable, piece of crappola album or cd you ever bought?!
mad.gif

Remember, one man's music can be another man's water torture, so don't be afraid if you hated an album and are worried to name it just because somewhere else a bunch of people might like it. I'm asking about your own personal hell with an album purchase.
mad.gif

Let's hear it!

Mine? I'm still thinking about what it was and all the money I've WASTED over the years!

Oh, yeah... and, kids, have fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 92
Britney Spears "Opps. I did it again".

Seriously though, U2's "Rattle and Hum" was pretty bad, IMHO.

Dec 11, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 92
Wow, that's a bold one, but that's your opinion and, like I say, one man's music....

I'm wondering if mine wasn't Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music which was basically a double album of the sound of STATIC. Boy did that piss me off. But at least you could consider that an art piece, I guess. I recently bought a Clash tribute album with Ice Cube, Moby and others on it, that should be banned for being destructive to the memory of the band. What a stinker. Not a single good track on it!

Dec 11, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 92
Bold it may be but I love *EVERY* album in thier catalog *except* that one. It's so bad that I'll call it the worst ever. Perhaps it's becasue it was the biggest let-down ever for me.

Everytime I say that's the worst one ever I get odd looks from *everyone*. Maybe I'll really discover it one day but it's been, what, 15 years now and I still haven't grown to appreciate it. Now, "The Unforgettable Fire", on the other hand...

Dec 11, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 92
mad.gif

I got a few.

Yes - Open Your Eyes (wotta dog, sounds like rehearsal tapes to me)

3 - To the Power of Three (features Keith Emerson, and Carl Palmer of ELP) putrid

Al DiMeola - anything after about 1982. He used to rip on the guitar, now he is supposed to be serious. As Frank Zappa used to say: "Shut up and Play Your Guitar"

U2 - Rattle and Hum - Horrible Sound

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross, and the Eternal Idol. What the hell was Tony Iommi thinking.

Queensryche - anything after Empire. Group went from smashing to awful.

Michael Schenker Group - The three albums he recorded with Robin McCauley.

mad.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 92
I see what you're saying, Nezer, it was a let down. I could be accused of blasphemy, but when The Beatles put out the album "Hey Jude", I thought, "What a loser!" This was after "Sgt. Pepper" "The White Album" and "Abbey Road" and it seemed like a real come down. Sloppy, loose. Of course, many of the songs are now Beatles classics, but I hated it at the time.

Dec 11, 2001 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 92
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of Spartacus. Thank God Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard did almost the same thing sooo much better.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I see what you're saying, Nezer, it was a let down. I could be accused of blasphemy, but when The Beatles put out the album "Hey Jude", I thought, "What a loser!" This was after "Sgt. Pepper" "The White Album" and "Abbey Road" and it seemed like a real come down. Sloppy, loose. Of course, many of the songs are now Beatles classics, but I hated it at the time.

I would agree with you there. When you put the album in perspective with what preceeded it really was a let down. However, it's a classic now because it really shows the band falling apart. It's a piece of history for sure and thats what makes it a classic. Perhaps Rattle and Hum would be a classic if U2 had split shortly after.

Hey Jude really shows them at their best and at their worst. Damned that Yoko!!

Dec 11, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 92
All About Eve - Ultra violet.

This had one of the most crappiest useless production on it that it has ever been my misfortune to hear! Julianne regans crystal clear vocals were buried (apparantly intentionally at the time!) so far down into the mix that you couldn't hear a damn thing that she was going on about. If you check out any of the AAE compilation albums around you can hear that shes got a damn good voice.

Dec 11, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 92
u2's "pop" was pretty awful, too. i never bought "rattle & hum" from all the bad reviews i read of it.

nezer, i agree "unforgettable fire" is one of their best albums. if you can find it the mfsl remaster of that is a huge improvement over the original cd. much warmer sound, eno's synth work sounds full not thin and tinny, and edge's backing vocals really come out.

i'm having a hard time trying to remember the worst of the worst, although philip glass's "hydrogen jukebox" comes to mind.

if this counts my wife got a destiny's child cd that makes me want to shove nine inch nails into my eardrums.

Dec 11, 2001 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Al DiMeola - anything after about 1982. He used to rip on the guitar, now he is supposed to be serious. As Frank Zappa used to say: "Shut up and Play Your Guitar"

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I gotta disagree with you. It's not so much that he's trying to be serious, so much as, his early music was too technical, and now...the key word is "beauty" -- that's what he's going for. BTW, you may want to check out some of his most recent works such as Kiss My Axe and Plays Piazzolla [size=xx-small](?sp)[/size], it's the best of both worlds. Quote:

Originally posted by TerriblySorry
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of Spartacus. Thank God Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard did almost the same thing sooo much better.

Aw, dude, do you still have that? I've been dying to hear it...I heard it was bad, but I just can't imagine him sinking to such depths after War of the Worlds.

Actually, I liked Metal Machine Music, but then again, I like Controlled Bleeding, Merzbow, K.K. Null, Lull...I know he did it deliberately bad, but you will always find a new-school contingent that will consider something like that ground-breaking.

Mine: anything by Shania Twain. Sorry. I made the mistake of actually trying to "go country". (wretch) She's gorgeous (and just gets more gorgeous with every passing year) and she has a fantastic voice, but I just don't like the choice of music she chooses to create.

Dec 11, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Aw, dude, do you still have that? I've been dying to hear it...I heard it was bad, but I just can't imagine him sinking to such depths after War of the Worlds.

If you want to PM me a mailing address, I'll send it to you as a holiday pressie, wont even cost you shipping. If not, it's off to the charity shop with a load of other naff CDs I can't wait to see the back of.

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 92
Fear factory: Digimortal

Simply a let down compared to previous albums...shame on them.

George

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 92
probably The Dismemberment Plan's "...Is Terrified" CD.

guess i'm not sophisticated or artistic enough to appreciate it, but it sucked big-time to me. whiny, art-skool kids trying to be cutting-edge - gimme an AC/DC album anytime.

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 92
Well for me, I would probably have to say Vanilla Ice's first album....I don't even remember the name...that is some serious crap. But hey, I was probably about 12, and I certainly did not show symptoms of coolvij's astonishingly refined taste at such a young age. I have not heard the band, so I can not really say, but I have read a really humorous and brutal review of a band with the ridiculous name Jimmy Eat World. I suggest people read the review, as it is rather well done, if perhaps a little too critical.
here is the URL: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...american.shtml
Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back