What is so horrible about Skullcandy's anyway?
Jul 29, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #76 of 105
As it was stated earlier(and my experience agrees) the Skullcandy in-ear phones are not bad. And they are not overpriced(like Bose). The Ink'd buds can be found for as low as $9.99 and the more expensive ones are only in the $40 range(titan, FMJ).

Overall, they are what you would expect for a $20 range headphone. Nowhere near the high quality of $50+, $100+ like Etys, UE or Sennheiser, but also not bad. They're the same as the low end JVC Marshmallows.

SC in ears are not bad for those on a budget or just as a "throw around" pair of phones.
------------------------
I will not comment on their cans(since I have not tried them) but I would expect the same. Figure a $50 pair of cans that sounds like a $50 pair of cans. And again, at least they are not Bose, selling crap for 3x the price.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #77 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnetiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this was originally posted by someone here a short while ago:

YouTube - skullcandy Skull Crushers with built in subwoofers. BASS

sums it all up really.

I was at a Target in Spokane, WA about a week ago. There was a SkullCandy listening station and (I think) it was the Skullcrushers. First, they were playing (what sounded like mono) heavy/thrash metal. Not the best for showcasing headphones, but then again, look at their demographics. Second, you could flip the bass unit on/off. Ugh. All I heard in my ears was in increase in undefined thump thump thump. The effect was pretty bad. Last, the sound quality. OMG. I can't even begin describe how bad the sound was. Sounded like it was coming from an AM radio.

Seriously. This is really really bad when the Bose station is like heaven compared to this. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. They seemed to be packaged nicely. They generally look good. Priced at the mid-range. I heard bad things about them but never really took anything seriously. But now I've tried them. And they really are that bad.

My personal opinion is that headphones are like anything else audio. You need a trained ear. I know someone that couldn't tell the difference between Sony EX71's and Grado 325i's. Until they started listening to the good one continuously, then switched back to the old one. It's not hard to train, but to all you people that think they don't sound that bad.. Ha, ignorance is bliss.

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #78 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it was stated earlier(and my experience agrees) the Skullcandy in-ear phones are not bad. And they are not overpriced(like Bose). The Ink'd buds can be found for as low as $9.99 and the more expensive ones are only in the $40 range(titan, FMJ).

Overall, they are what you would expect for a $20 range headphone. Nowhere near the high quality of $50+, $100+ like Etys, UE or Sennheiser, but also not bad. They're the same as the low end JVC Marshmallows.

SC in ears are not bad for those on a budget or just as a "throw around" pair of phones.
------------------------
I will not comment on their cans(since I have not tried them) but I would expect the same. Figure a $50 pair of cans that sounds like a $50 pair of cans. And again, at least they are not Bose, selling crap for 3x the price.

Meh, I'll spend the $20-30 extra to get a decent set of in-ears than Skullcandy junk.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #79 of 105
I feel like I should say something because I really like my FMJ 11mm. But I haven't had many upper price IEMs and I got these for the warranty because the wires on buds always break internally for me within 6 months. So I didnt want to spend a lot more and then end up with a worthless dead set. I wasn't sure when I ordered them but they turned out pretty good. It sounds like their full size cans might be worse. They are a relatively new company. Is it possible they are just figuring things out and may one day become "decent"?

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #80 of 105
My brother has a pair of their full sized can. Not sure which or what. Maroon and white colouring, fold up like PX100

No soundstage, bass is weak, highs are tad shrilly and uncontrolled and mids are touch grating. But that's compared to my AT

Compared to PX100 I think they are quite similar. He paid a fiver second hand so pretty good value imo

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #82 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a relatively new company. Is it possible they are just figuring things out and may one day become "decent"?

One thing is for sure, they can only go up from here.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #83 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by cx420ns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wanted a pair before, but after reading so many "run them over with a car" like comments here i'm scared... is it just cause yer all "headphone snobs" (no offense intended) im definitely not with my 15 dollar sony buds, and no way can i afford bose or the more top shelf sein...whatchacallits (heimer? i just saw it spelled 30 seconds ago...)

i was looking at the lowriders...

...i just don't want a plain black hunk o plastic on my head when i can have ~flava~
cool.gif

thanks for any comments

I'm late to this game, but I have listened extensively to most of the full-sized Skullcandy line. They sound much, much worse than they look. And most of the price that Skullcandy charges for those headphones goes towards the styling - and almost nothing towards the sound quality. And it's not that their parts are horrible (far from it); the headphones for the most part are simply poorly designed, with a poor match between the housings and the drivers (and as a result, they suffer from severe resonances which are clearly audible even at very low volume levels).

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #84 of 105
Way to drudge up an old nugget. Makes me glad I'm to dang old to look that darn goofy wearing these things.
Funny thread though, gave me half an hour of laughs (took some time to watch the youtube shorts, so dumb).

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #85 of 105
Ugh. As much as I enjoy having a knock at how i wasted my money on the Skullcandies, i think we should stop making threads like these. ):

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #86 of 105
What's funny, klamP, is that this was the OP's first and only post, and it's gone on about 7 pages longer than any topic I've ever started. I think a bored head-fier got a new nick and started this thread for tickles and jiggles. I would. And I think I will...

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #87 of 105
I just bought a pair of these for $9.99 at TJMax... or was it Ross? Anyway, I was worried they would sound funky because they are 16-Ohm and most stuff doesn't want to power that. I put them on my receiver that I use for my MDR-V700's and they didn't sound good because there weren't much highs and there was lots of bass, but with a little EQ'ing in Winamp, they sound pretty good. They don't compare to my Sony's, but I'm happy for $10 that I can have something that I can use when I don't want to use my bulky Sony's. Only thing that bugs me is that I can hear the noise from the cable brushing up against stuff, VERY easily... like the stubble on my face. Oh well. I like the way they look, too. Time for a recable? lolz!

Oh, yeah I bought the INK'D Smokin' Buds.

Edit: There are many variables which come into play with these guys. What you are powering them with makes a big difference. I noticed that repositioning them also has a very significant impact on their sound. Blind Guardian is sounding good over them at the moment. Again, I had to EQ them to make them sound decent, but the bass is tight (like this is difficult on an IEM lawlz) and good highs, but getting the midrange and highs balanced is a bit tricky. I was thinking of setting my SB16 system to try these, but the SB16 would put out way too much power for these.

Let me see... the Datasheet says that at 16-Ohms and 9V (the SB16 was regulated at 9V) it would output just over .750W, which is 750 milliwatts, correct? These guys max at 100mw. I would have to use a 3V supply to use these on the SB16's TEA2025b.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #88 of 105
They sound bad in my opinion for their cost. If I was going to get a economical IEM, I would get the EP-630.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #89 of 105
I went to their web site for the first time today. Phear! If my daughter grows up and wants a pair, I shall disown her.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #90 of 105
SK Pro. The ear pads are comfortable as they were made of wood. Highs were harsh, mids receded and bass was hiting the same note all the time with extreme impact. And i still managed to sold them even though they started falling apart. And that guy that bought them was so impressed with SQ that he said i was crazy paying soooo much money on D2000 that sound same/worst. Oh, did i mentioned that he listens only on MAX volume ALL the time regardles of source? I don't get some people, and how the company like SK STILL exist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back