What Is Right About Headphones
Jul 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 34
I originally started using headphones to avoid issues with my apartment neighbors. I have since come to prefer them to speakers.
The sound is so much more detailed, and there are no room acoustics anomalies getting in the way.
The soundstage from speakers is bigger, but it is more precise and 3-dimensional on phones.
Bass from speakers is more powerful, but also not nearly as well defined.
I sometimes have trouble hearing lyrics through speakers, but never miss a word on headphones (even mumblers like REM.)
Probably the best thing about phones is that the intimate presentation helps me tune out the rest of the world and get lost in the music.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones have some limitations though. Physical bass impact and sound stage are probably the two most obvious ones.

I have been listening since before stereo, barely, so I witnessed its ascendancy. We were struck immediately by the soundstage, but the fact that there finally was one was enough for us. It was only much later that the soundstage became a prime factor in judging speakers. Holographic imaging also became a holy grail at some point. Some guys I know won't listen to a system unless the soundstage and imaging are outstanding. Others could care less. I can take it or leave it. I have a pair of speakers that have the second best imaging I have ever heard and the soundstage is excellent. But when I want my ultimate audio experience I go to the Stax. For my preferences great sound trumps locating sources precisely in space. With my long range perspective the current emphasis seems more a fad than a logical evolution.

I have noticed that what passes for a really good soundstage today is often an exaggeration of reality. Some of this is due to current recording practices. The gold standard is to isolate instruments & voices, which leads to pinpoint imaging in reproduction but does not reproduce sound fields the way we actually hear them live. I predict that soundstage mania will be replaced at some point by the next big thing. Which will eventually spin out of control as well.
wink.gif
Great sound will never be the next big thing because it is the big thing.

Killer soundstaging without great sound equals crappy hi fi. Ditto killer imaging and killer stereo separation. Killer sound quality with mediocre spatial presentation still equals great sound. Which is the definition of high fidelity.
biggrin.gif
By the way, since most of you have never heard it, true high fidelity mono is quite a satisfying experience. It just goes to show that coherency contributes more to realism than stereo imaging does. Nice to have both, though! The king of coherency is headphones, and when I last checked they all do stereo...

Quote:

I am a huge fan of headphones, and do 99.5% of my listening time on them. But if I had unlimited money resources I would certainly go speakers. Buy a large apartment with a suitable sized listening room, tune/damp the room and fill it with top end gear.

If you find yourself wealthy beyond measure might I suggest the JBL DD66000 Everest II.

Clark

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find yourself wealthy beyond measure might I suggest the JBL DD66000 Everest II.

Absolutely gorgeous speaker! Much sexier than the original Everests.

Though purely in terms of sound quality, I think the Tannoy DMT 215 IIs are easily in the same class. And well more within the reach of mere mortals.
atsmile.gif

But yeah, the JBLs. Absolutely gorgeous speaker.

k

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #34 of 34
MMG (front) and MMC (optional center) direct from Magneplanar are amazing values. Check 'em out. Small, compact, unreal SQ for the dollar. Perfect for adding speakers to a small headphone-centric listening room (this is what I did).

You must add a sub, however. The price/value leader for subs is a subject of debate, my vote goes to SVS. Total spend will be very low, especially with a used amp, Carver's are always available, replace the dried-out caps, yes?

Note: I added a used Meridian processor off eBay to derive the center channel, with a mono tube (12AU7) pre-amp and a used mono SS amp also off eBay to drive the center, now I have amazing spatial image from 2-channel redbook thanks to Meridian trifield, needed this in my tiny strange-shaped HP listening room. And I have a use for all the 12AU7's I rejected for my EF-1 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back