What is near perfect but won't break the bank?
Jul 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that price range, I would look into HD580/600 or K601 or DT880. I really love AD700/900 but I don't think they will be good for everyone. However, in my opinion, none of these headphones will give sound close to live music.

If those don't do it, no headphone will. IMO if the recording is good, a good headphone will get you there (emotionally), though it may not sound as 'live' music.
Add SR325i to this list and you've got it pretty much complete.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #47 of 63
Egad, people. Read the opening post. The op is using an amp that won't support many of the headphones you're recommending.

@OP, consider the ath-esw9s (beware of fakes from ebay, amazon, et.) You should be able to pick up a pair here FS forum (also beware of fakes; ask for original receipt) or even from an authorized dealer for under $300. You can read up on them in the portable headphone forum, but they sound better than many full-size headphones, and are easy to drive. I'd also consider picking up a used Grado or Allesandro, though, like most headphones, Grados have a house sound that many love, including myself with some models, and some known "flaws" (i.e., soundstage). Just read up on things.

Consider your whole system, not just the headphones, and what you need before buying what folks are recommending here. There are some excellent headphones being named in this thread, but know that you might not get the quality sound they're known for unless you want to invest (even if later, down the line) in components better suited to bring out their qualities.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't listen to intoart, any new headphone he finds 'amazing', he will not stop talking it up until he finds another.

He holds the AD700 high, too high in fact.

Yes, thanks. I was about to lose my mind when he issued that statement (I now realize in several different threads also)...

Under my impression the AD700 has more "bang for the buck" than the K701/K702, because it doesn't require an amp. I've had the ATs for a few months now, and it is good enough for what I spent (~$100), but still lacks in bass, clarity (a veiled sound), and physically too large...

From what I've heard, the K701/2 with a proper amp (Heed?) destroys the AD700. But that's unfair in terms of pricing. So that's why I guess there are people who try to defend both..

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #51 of 63
Having read through most of this thread I have a little voice in my head that says buy a set of KSC75's or PX100s and only splah out further up the headphone food chain if they don't work for you. At the very least you will ave more of an idea what you are looking for when you do uograde.

Simon

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #52 of 63
if driven straight from a soundcard... have u considered HD5x5s? Should be easy enough to drive without an amp and the single-sided cord easier to manage.

Heard a few inadequately driven K701s before... wasn't impressed.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado 325i, Sennheiser HD600, and AKG K501.

Best values in this hobby bar none imho. Pick one according to your taste.

x2
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing is near perfect. We have a long way to go (i hope) and I cant wait to hear it.
I also disagree that live music sounds the best. Most of the time live music sounds like poo.
For albums there is time taken to make sure stuff sounds great (even if by 'great' it sounds bad to us). For live performances the building is designed to have "good" acoustics (i.e. non-parallel reverb and whatnot to increase the 'size' of the sound). It odesnt suit everything.
If you're into the local scene and attend pubs, SQ gets even worse.

Some generic drops:
With amps - HD600, DT880
Without - ER4P, AD900.

I take it you've never seen Pink Floyd live.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #56 of 63
So what's all this talk about lack of bass on the K702? I've played around with frequency response curves for various headsets and the 702 seems to have nearly comparable bass to the competition

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[/url][]=843&graphID[]=73&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=753

Headphones seem to have a drop in bass at the very low ends, while earbuds maintain them. Earbuds seem to drop at the very high pitches while headsets seem to maintain them.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=73&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=243&graphID[]=853

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #57 of 63
I've just deleted 23 posts, which had effectively hijacked a rather informative thread. Every member is responsible for the content and tone of his or her posts. It doesn't matter who started what by saying whatever. Flame baiting and/or biting is just not acceptable. Hopefully, this thread can now stay open and on track.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 63
If you will be considering the AD700, I would seriously recommend to audition them first. They do have a very nice sound for the price, but they have almost no bass impact whatsoever. They are good, but they could be a huge disappointment as well.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #59 of 63
This graph scares me a bit about the AD700. The bass response appears to be very low.

35itc46.jpg

The Denon D2000 appears like it would sound very, very much like the HD650; and it only costs half as much, based on actual market prices. The remaining question is clarity.

2epj6o6.jpg

I thought the bass on the ER6i was low, but it turns out that every headphone has less bass. And many people criticized the K702 for their bass output, but it only has marginally less bass than their competitors. Well, it appears it's about 5 decibels lower on average in bass. I wonder if you can tinker with the EQ and make up that difference. I'm also tempted to try the popular Grado's like the SR325 and on the extreme end the RS1. From what I can gather they have lower bass response (the so-called "punchy" bass?!?!) but they have more prominent high's.

Anyway, I could be totally off-base on this. I'm trying to learn the head-fi language. I realized that when some people on here compare different headsets, they're comparing very minute differences in sound. Differences that I probably won't notice. There's no need to pay additional for a difference I can't detect.

1232iva.jpg

For example, lots more people seem to like the RS1 more than the RS2. I remember someone saying they like the "more sparkly" treble. From looking at the above graph, the RS1 and RS2 are nearly identical in all respects with exception of the 10,000Hz area. The RS1 has better response at 10,000 Hz, almost a 10dBr difference. But that difference comes at an additional $200. This may be within audiophile territory, but 10 decibels may be a lot. I dunno.

And the big question that none of these graphs answer is clarity. Which of these produce crystal clear sound? I understand their range, just not their clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back