What is near perfect but won't break the bank?
Jun 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of good headphones that can be had on a $300 budget. I know you said that you're not extremely nit-picky or concerned with audiophile perfection, but do you have anything else to give us that might guide our suggestions? If you have developed a taste for any sort of sound signature that you can describe, that would be ideal, otherwise things that you have heard and liked/disliked, or even musical preferences would be helpful.

Off the top of my head, AKG K601/701, Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 can all be had for <$300 and are respected by many to be fairly clear and accurate. There is a Sennheiser HD580 up in the FS forum that would probably work well. Grado and Ultrasone also make headphones in this price range, but people will probably be a little less willing to call them accurate, as they have certain idiosyncrasies (Grado very prominent mids and highs and in-your-face presentation, Ultrasone very bassy).

Audio-Technica AD700s are also often recommended as being fairly clear and accurate, especially for their price (~$100 - although I haven't heard them myself).

The reason why I'm asking for all of your opinions is because the only headphones I own are $15 radioshack headphones that I never use. As for earbuds, I own the SE110, SE530, and the ER6i. I enjoy both the 530 and the ER6i in different ways. I like the clarity of the ER6i, but I think they're bass-thin, even when they're properly inserted. I think I'd be happy with something that has the clarity of the ER6i but the bass of the 530.

As far as musical choice goes, I listen to the more popular stuff. Mostly rock, shade of rap, and some classical. I have classical training, and I've played in symphonies, quartets, ...etc. I think I'm willing to pay more for something that lets me hear music as the musician hears it. Instruments produce a certain ring when it's right next to you. For example, on a violin or acoustic guitar, when the musician plays one string, the other strings vibrate concurrently and produces a certain aura (from the resonance frequencies). I love being able to hear from the musician's perspective.

As for rock or rap, I don't nitpick. I listen to the overall sound. I rarely listen to details. I only focus in on details in classical music.

So I guess to sum that up, high acoustic accuracy in classical music, but accurate overall sound in all other genres of music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 63
throwing in another vote for the K601's, I love mine, and although they are only slightly less expensive than the K7's they have a somewhat less analytical "edge" to them.. very nice.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 63
OP, fwiw, avoid hard to drive cans from Beyer/Senn/AKG (yes, they do make cans that are not high impedance/low sensitivity, but cans like the AKG *01s are a poor recommendation in BFB terms, IMO).

A-T and Grado make headphones that you can drive straight from a CDP/soundcard/whatever. My next buy will be a pair of AD900s (worthwhile spending the extra over the 700s, at least per the opinions of people I trust) and later perhaps the MS-2s/DT250. Good luck.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing is near perfect. We have a long way to go (i hope) and I cant wait to hear it.
I also disagree that live music sounds the best. Most of the time live music sounds like poo.
For albums there is time taken to make sure stuff sounds great (even if by 'great' it sounds bad to us). For live performances the building is designed to have "good" acoustics (i.e. non-parallel reverb and whatnot to increase the 'size' of the sound). It odesnt suit everything.
If you're into the local scene and attend pubs, SQ gets even worse.

Some generic drops:
With amps - HD600, DT880
Without - ER4P, AD900.

I don't mean that live music sounds best. What I mean is that something recreates unrecorded music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado amp is no good with Shures? It's just a fancy Cmoy, isn't it? I don't see a problem here.

They're good, but my ears began hurting a bit cuz of the foam pad pushing against the ear canals.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #21 of 63
Just go K702, best price on the market for sound quality.
k701smile.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closest headphones to the SE530 that I've heard is the HD650 (I own both). You can get it sub $300 used. I see it being sold in these forums quite often, and there should be some for sale right now.

A big problem is that you need to get a proper amp for the phones to drive them well. That's easily another $350-$400 at least. But if you like the HD650s, you can always save up for a nicer amp for them.

I've considered the 650's, eventhou I've never heard it. My hunch is that I'll like the sound quality, but is there another company that makes a headphone that's very nearly comparable that sells for less? For example, are the SR60's or SR80's virtually comparable?

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go K702, best price on the market for sound quality.
k701smile.gif

I've looked into this model, and people seem to criticize it as bass thin. But what I can't figure out is if that's "bass thin" in audiophile world or in general. I consider the ER6i bass thin.

I'll look into the AD700's too. Honestly, I've never heard of it.

And thx to everyone for responding. It really helps.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #24 of 63
I'm going to throw in another vote for the K601. I think it shares many of the virtues of the K701 but is a more versatile, a little less overtly bass-light, and a little more forgiving.

That said, if you really want the ultimate classical experience (at the expense of rock/rap), I think you should consider building a system around the K701/2, especially if this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
high acoustic accuracy in classical music

is the priority.

Where do you live? Maybe there's a friendly and generous K701 owner in your area who would be willing to let you have a listen.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked into this model, and people seem to criticize it as bass thin. But what I can't figure out is if that's "bass thin" in audiophile world or in general. I consider the ER6i bass thin.
I'll look into the AD700's too. Honestly, I've never heard of it.

My vote is for a HD600 or K701. They suit a lot of genres rather well, but probably more the HD600 for something like rock. The AD are alright, definitely the AD700 @ the $100 price point, but the AD900 I had lacked bass impact and had more treble energy than I liked and they're said to be quite similar. Personally I've settled on a K601 for all-round use just because of their less-than-analytical quality and slightly more bass among the Kx01 line-up.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 63
In terms of 'shut your eyes and you're there, we're really limited by the fact that most music isn't mastered for headphone listening: it's mastered for stereo speakers placed in an equilateral triangle in with the listener.

We need some sort of trickery to get past this. Crossfeed doesn't generally hurt. Neither do physical headstage enhancements that move the headstage in front of the listener.

Sacrilegious point here, but I think Dolby Headphone on fairly cheap soundcards like the Xonar series really does a lot to give the impression of realism on a lot of headphones. Sure it's not perfect but I think it might be the cheapest route to giving most music a "close your eyes and you're there" quality.

You do need a competent headphone for Dolby Headphone to work well though. The cheapest I've found that works well is Goldring DR150.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 63
I'll look into the headphones suggested. Can someone comment on this? How different are the SR60, SR80, and SR325? Is it something where I'd have to listen attentively to a music clip multiple times before I hear a difference?

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 63
listened to SR60/80/125 side by side, the 125 had a comparable sound with noticeably more bass. Sold it to fund the 325i, so can't really compare side by side but I think it really is an improvement in detail and bass depth/tightness. Lovely headphones for the money and easily driven out something simple (like 0404usb
biggrin.gif
).

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the fact that most music isn't mastered for headphone listening: it's mastered for stereo speakers placed in an equilateral triangle in with the listener.

Lets also not forget that the headphone will not give you anything that was not on the recording to begin with. that "live resonance" wont magically appear once you strap on the HD-800. I think the dac recommendation was spot on. you will most likely hear a noticeable difference through your shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back