What is monstercables most popular interconnect?
Sep 25, 2003 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
Yes! I know that to mention monster cable is considered the audiophile equivelant of heresy. lol
evil_smiley.gif
But in all seriousness, what might be considered the most popular interconnect that monster has to offer?
Please let's not start a flame war. I'm just looking for opinions.

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 153
Whichever one is the cheapest
tongue.gif

Seriously, nothing in the monster cable line is typically thought of being worth purchase, regardless of price range. Even radioshack cables are generally consitered superior

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 153
wow! I never knew how much that company was hated. Judging from your responses, It seems like moster could be listed along with some of the worlds most evil empires. Well I guess I'll just bow my head in shame.
frown.gif
Sorry no more mostercable posts. I promise.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 153
Sorry, but the only reponse I could think of was "Who cares!" Now that you've sworn off them though it's all good. Seriously, I have had better luck with Radio Shack cable and it's cheaper.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 153
signalcable analog 1
Kimber pbj
are two that come to mind.

Sep 26, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 153
eh....monster cable is just as bad as a lot of the audio cable companies out there

like the ones that charge several grand for an interconnect that costs less than 1/10th of that to make....

but, i guess we have to blame ourselves....if these companies sold their cables at a fair price...we wouldn't buy all that much more from them....a lot of audio enthusiasts are just impressed by prices.

this is especially true with cables since there are rarely any numbers we can look over that are related to their performance

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 153
I think Monster's better speaker cables are outstanding value, and the Z1 speaker cable is an outright steal compared to some of the more exotic cables out there. General sound is big, dynamic, expansive, and slightly on the warm side.

Monster is more hit or miss on the interconnects, and their products have a wider range of characteristics. The M950i, for example is fairly nice, well balanced, with a warm seductive midrange. The M850i is extremely warm, and can be quite pleasing on early digital recordings. The M550i Ive never heard, but the M350i seems to lack a little bit of integration and sound a little bit thinner and harsher than the others.

Yeah, there are better cables than Monster, and there is always the lates flavor of the month esoteric online cable company too. You just have to experiment to decide what you like best.

Monster's video cables are supposed to be quite good too, but I use Tributaries silver-series, which I generally prefer, other than their comparative stiffness.

Sep 26, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
Yes! I know that to mention monster cable is considered the audiophile equivelant of heresy. lol
evil_smiley.gif
But in all seriousness, what might be considered the most popular interconnect that monster has to offer?
Please let's not start a flame war. I'm just looking for opinions.

I'm using the Monster Z100i Interconnects right now and I think they are great. I had used the Monster Interlink 400MkII for a few years and was satisfied with those also.

Then; my perceptions of audio cables was influenced by the Internet and the dozens of companies that make audio cables. Since then, I have tried or owned many other cable brands such as; Cardas, AudioQuest, DiMarzio, Alpha-Core, Acoustic Research and a couple others.

It got so confusing to me, that I went back to Monster, and YES, I'm satisfied with them.

Good cables are important, but don't drive yourself too crazy about them.

Sep 26, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 153
I have used 1/2 m Monster Cable 950's extensively in my systems and am pretty happy with them. You tend to get what you pay for in cables/interconnects and I am sure there are many better cables they generally cost more than what I paid for the 950's.
As high-fi companies go, Monster is a biggie and attracts a lot of venom for that reason. I wouldn't compare Monster to Bose which puts out overpriced, mediocre equipment and supports it with extensive advertising.

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 153
I've seen several people mention that they like the Interlink 400 something (don't have it handy -- yes, I own a pair, and I'm not ashamed). They are not the Bose of interconnects; they're more like the Radio Shack (that you can buy at places other than Radio Shack). I actually quite like their speaker cables.

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 153
I've had a few of their cables. The 400MKII wasn't a good cable as it was kind of blurry. The THX series seemed better to me. I'm sure there are hits and misses in their < $70 cable lines. The problem is that there are so many and it's impossible to try them al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back