What is important DAC, Amps or gear
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #31 of 51
Currently using deezer hifi as i do listen to songs that are non english and tidal unfortunately does not have the most user friendly user interface nor has the songs i like. Still flac for me is good enough haha
Not considering the service or streaming method, I don’t stream. The physical box called a music server or renderer. This should be every audiophiles top priority unfortunately there are no inexpensive alternatives that work at the same level. But folks try via raspberry pi, but I don’t diy either, belly up big g and look into a server. That is all.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #32 of 51
I always hear the term mastered. May u enlighten me on what mastering of sound track is?
Heres a quick definition i found online. pretty much sums it up nicely.

"Mastering is the final step of audio post-production. The purpose of mastering is to balance sonic elements of a stereo mix and optimize playback across all systems and media formats. Traditionally, mastering is done using tools like equalization, compression, limiting and stereo enhancement."

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #33 of 51
Not considering the service or streaming method, I don’t stream. The physical box called a music server or renderer. This should be every audiophiles top priority unfortunately there are no inexpensive alternatives that work at the same level. But folks try via raspberry pi, but I don’t diy either, belly up big g and look into a server. That is all.
Oh what i have never heard of a device like this. So its a box that plays music? or stores music? i am not very familiar with it can u give me abit more information as this is very interesting to me.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #34 of 51
Oh what i have never heard of a device like this. So its a box that plays music? or stores music? i am not very familiar with it can u give me abit more information as this is very interesting to me.
He likes to push a particular brand music server. IMHO, there's not much difference from a network file server if you are computer literate. I can access my entire music library on my home file servers from anywhere there's an Internet, including my phone. That said, downloading is probably best. You can stream under those conditions, but you'll lose any high-quality bit-rate because of the network response rate. At home, the file servers are available at 100% high-quality res from any digital device with a music player.

A regular file server also doubles/triples/etc. as file storage backup, and digital movie files, too. I can stream 1080 Blu-Ray from my server room upstairs to the basement big screen - all wireless. It's not magic, any file server can do this with little effort. Purchasing a specific music player file server reminds me of the old music CD recorders. They didn't last long because they offered nothing over a computer CD drive and the computer's CD drive could do so much more.

EDIT: If you are interested, look at Plex. It down-samples to a lower bit rate over the Internet, but accessing all of your music from hundreds (or thousands) of miles away is still pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #35 of 51
He likes to push a particular brand music server. IMHO, there's not much difference from a network file server if you are computer literate. I can access my entire music library on my home file servers from anywhere there's an Internet, including my phone. That said, downloading is probably best. You can stream under those conditions, but you'll lose any high-quality bit-rate because of the network response rate. At home, the file servers are available at 100% high-quality res from any digital device with a music player.

A regular file server also doubles/triples/etc. as file storage backup, and digital movie files, too. I can stream 1080 Blu-Ray from my server room upstairs to the basement big screen - all wireless. It's not magic, any file server can do this with little effort. Purchasing a specific music player file server reminds me of the old music CD recorders. They didn't last long because they offered nothing over a computer CD drive and the computer's CD drive could do so much more.

EDIT: If you are interested, look at Plex. It down-samples to a lower bit rate over the Internet, but accessing all of your music from hundreds (or thousands) of miles away is still pretty impressive.
AHHH i see geez that was quite abit of info haha! So you would recommend downloading hes res music basically but isn't streaming from these streaming platform kinda the same? Or is it different still abit confused. As for internet speed don't think that is an issue think currently is at 500 mbps so dont think DSD files are a problem as well.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #36 of 51
Heres a quick definition i found online. pretty much sums it up nicely.

"Mastering is the final step of audio post-production. The purpose of mastering is to balance sonic elements of a stereo mix and optimize playback across all systems and media formats. Traditionally, mastering is done using tools like equalization, compression, limiting and stereo enhancement."
Thanks for the info mate!

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #37 of 51
AHHH i see geez that was quite abit of info haha! So you would recommend downloading hes res music basically but isn't streaming from these streaming platform kinda the same? Or is it different still abit confused. As for internet speed don't think that is an issue think currently is at 500 mbps so dont think DSD files are a problem as well.

I only meant that you can setup your own streaming with a file server at home. When you leave the house and try to stream the files, the results are not that good (lots of dropouts). However, most any device you use can download smaller selections of your music to play locally on your device wherever you are.

That way, you technically have access to all of your music files, except through downloading, not necessarily actively streaming while you are miles away from your home network.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #38 of 51
I only meant that you can setup your own streaming with a file server at home. When you leave the house and try to stream the files, the results are not that good (lots of dropouts). However, most any device you use can download smaller selections of your music to play locally on your device wherever you are.

That way, you technically have access to all of your music files, except through downloading, not necessarily actively streaming while you are miles away from your home network.
AHHH i see what you mean now but i usually download my music the app allows for download haha! but unfortunately i do not have the luxury of owning a DAP at the moment for portable use and Deezer hifi isnt on portable devices yet so i can only listen FLAC at home thus me probably getting a new headphone at canjam 2. Probably looking at meze empyrean or mrspeaker ether 2 just maybe something from zmf. Guess will be waiting for canjam for me to find out! Hope there will be show discounts too! HAHA

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 51
I may be an exception, but in my eyes you can't hear the music at it's best without a really good DAC/Amp even with relatively low priced IEMs or headphones.
That's based on the sources and phones I have available, which are all lower to mid-tier.
I have the Chord Mojo, and the music just comes alive when listening through it.
A TOTL headphone and even cheaper phones can only reproduce the signals they get, so I'd rather invest in a good signal first and then look for the phone that matches my preferences.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #40 of 51
I may be an exception, but in my eyes you can't hear the music at it's best without a really good DAC/Amp even with relatively low priced IEMs or headphones.
That's based on the sources and phones I have available, which are all lower to mid-tier.
I have the Chord Mojo, and the music just comes alive when listening through it.
A TOTL headphone and even cheaper phones can only reproduce the signals they get, so I'd rather invest in a good signal first and then look for the phone that matches my preferences.
I rest my case with a iFi micro idsd black label. Not the best but it does still work up to DSD512 files so i would think its good enough haha!

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #41 of 51
so then, nothing is important. LOL

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #43 of 51
To be very honest I think especially in low-fi and mid-fi people put way too much emphasis on things like amps and dacs being balanced or being able to play dsd. Unless all your existing headphones are using balanced cables and your library consists mostly of dsd files of course.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #44 of 51
source, dac/amp/ HP

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 51
I rest my case with a iFi micro idsd black label. Not the best but it does still work up to DSD512 files so i would think its good enough haha!
Honestly DSD is a joke IMO.
I dont look at products based on if they can play DSD, if they have it as an additional feature but thats not the main focus, than cool whatever. but honestly its kinda useless, i dont know anyone who has their music library in DSD. let alone can hear the difference between FLAC 24bit audio and DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back