What is important DAC, Amps or gear
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 51
beautiful combination you have there! Alas due to me having fear of earwax failling into the pits of darkness within the iem i have shun away from eartips without waxguard. Thus my entire life i have been using comply eartips that has waxguard to protect the drivers, will give the final audio eartips a try later on with the legend x and maybe would try the noble k10 stock tips as well. Cheers for the sharing!

In the DM6 thread people are making wax guards from female stockings? So you could in fact place them behind any tip. Just a suggestion.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 51
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 51
My 2 cents.

Try ibasso SR1!
Keeping money for you, just pay $500 for it (ofcouse you must listen to it first).
Then, if you dont like it, you will pay 2k or 3k for other items...

With SR1, I listen to music. With hd800s, I listen to my gear!
That's difference.
P.S you can search topic about sr1

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 51
My 2 cents.

Try ibasso SR1!
Keeping money for you, just pay $500 for it (ofcouse you must listen to it first).
Then, if you dont like it, you will pay 2k or 3k for other items...

With SR1, I listen to music. With hd800s, I listen to my gear!
That's difference.
P.S you can search topic about sr1
Of course cost saving is good but i would not compromise for sound. Would definitely give the sr1 a shot. How do u find the hd800s?

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #22 of 51
Of course cost saving is good but i would not compromise for sound. Would definitely give the sr1 a shot. How do u find the hd800s?

Not sure what you asked about hd800s.
I own it 2 years before I bough SR1 Oct.2018.
I never listen to hd800s until 3.AM but I did that on SR1 sometimes. 7hours continuos listening. That happen when I find new good album, not because of SR1 is new to me (months after buying)
I have kse1500 (electrostatic) too but no time I listen so long like that.
Hd800s and kse is higher techincal and in almost specs.
SR1 is crazy low price so $500 is say nothing to its quality.
Someone own more highend gears than mine AND he/she buy SR1 also. No regret!

I am not good at writing about sound. If you care for this cans, you can search in head-fi.
In short : I listen to music on SR1 and listen to the gear(s) with other set I have

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 51
Hi all currently have a humble setup and was wondering which item to purchase to have the most bang for the buck.
I have seen many people saying DACS changes the world of sound yet others says the gear aka headphone or iem affects sound more so what is everyone's take on this?

As so often, there is no simple answer to your question.

Basically the sound that comes out the earphones or speakers at the end is impacted by all the steps and items before it - from the recording to the loudspeaker/headphone.

Which item you should purchase depends highly on what you already have and how the items "fit to each other"/have synergy with your other components. It is basically about balancing out the chain so there are no significant bottle necks.

The general consensus is, that when investing smaller amounts money, the headphone/speaker by far is the most important item of the chain.
A well recorded and high resolution (FLAC/CD-quality) audio file is considered a prerequisite.

Generally, the more you invest in headphones, the more important the source (DAC) and the amplifier becomes. But also in this area there is no "one fits it all"-guideline, since some headphones are more amp-dependent than others for example.

Overall I would say if your budget is below about 500$ don't even bother much about a DAC and better invest the money in a better headphone. Once you spend more than 1000$ on a single headphone is where DAC's really start to matter ... (a bit :) )

Cheers and lots of fun on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 51
As so often, there is no simple answer to your question.

Basically the sound that comes out the earphones or speakers at the end is impacted by all the steps and items before it - from the recording to the loudspeaker/headphone.

Which item you should purchase depends highly on what you already have and how the items "fit to each other"/have synergy with your other components. It is basically about balancing out the chain so there are no significant bottle necks.

The general consensus is, that when investing smaller amounts money, the headphone/speaker by far is the most important item of the chain.
A well recorded and high resolution (FLAC/CD-quality) audio file is considered a prerequisite.

Generally, the more you invest in headphones, the more important the source (DAC) and the amplifier becomes. But also in this area there is no "one fits it all"-guideline, since some headphones are more amp-dependent than others for example.

Overall I would say if your budget is below about 500$ don't even bother much about a DAC and better invest the money in a better headphone. Once you spend more than 1000$ on a single headphone is where DAC's really start to matter ... (a bit :) )

Cheers and lots of fun on your headphone journey :)
Currently have a legend x for iem and a k10 with noble silver x gold cable
As for headphones i just sold off my hd700 and am using a dac/amp of ifi micro idsd black label. So need to find a replacement for headphone probably at canjam singapore haha. As for dac would you think my ifi micro idsd will be too much of a so called bottleneck for my audio?

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #25 of 51
I believe the easiest way to show what matters most is the output. Headphones, iems, speakers. That being said, without good source files or amping the output may not perform as good as it could.

Ex: mobile phone with lets say 16bit files will sound worse with headphones if the cans require more power out of the device to move the driver properly.

Plugging the same headphones into a stronger device. Like a dap or desktop amp, using the same song files, will yield better results from the headphones.

You can also have terribly mastered files and play them on "high end" gear and it will still sound awful. Ive experienced this a few times and it isnt pleasant.

To sum up, i would say the entire setup is important. But, to me the most important would be the source files.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #26 of 51
Folks don’t want to hear this or just don’t ask? A server running roon core spend 10 g,s right then and there. Sorry.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 51
I believe the easiest way to show what matters most is the output. Headphones, iems, speakers. That being said, without good source files or amping the output may not perform as good as it could.

Ex: mobile phone with lets say 16bit files will sound worse with headphones if the cans require more power out of the device to move the driver properly.

Plugging the same headphones into a stronger device. Like a dap or desktop amp, using the same song files, will yield better results from the headphones.

You can also have terribly mastered files and play them on "high end" gear and it will still sound awful. Ive experienced this a few times and it isnt pleasant.

To sum up, i would say the entire setup is important. But, to me the most important would be the source files.
I always hear the term mastered. May u enlighten me on what mastering of sound track is?

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #29 of 51
A server, the source is the most important part, everything else has to properly interpret the source. Unfortunately is often the last component considered.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #30 of 51
A server, the source is the most important part, everything else has to properly interpret the source. Unfortunately is often the last component considered.
Currently using deezer hifi as i do listen to songs that are non english and tidal unfortunately does not have the most user friendly user interface nor has the songs i like. Still flac for me is good enough haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back