What is important DAC, Amps or gear
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51
Hi all currently have a humble setup and was wondering which item to purchase to have the most bang for the buck.
I have seen many people saying DACS changes the world of sound yet others says the gear aka headphone or iem affects sound more so what is everyone's take on this?

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 51
Headphones or iems will give the biggest change .

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 51
Mr Speakers Ether2 is very good and ZMF makes some awesome cans also but will need a amp.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 51
I would think the IFI is enough for the Ether not for sure about ZMF dynamics though. The new Verite is very good and I like the Eikons a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 51
I think what's more important is figuring out for yourself why you sold the hd700's and what you liked and didn't like about its sound. Same thing goes for your ifi black label. Headphones (or speakers) will give you the biggest change but I wouldn't if I were you spend 2 or 3k on a headphone at this point. Take your time and always keep in mind it's about your own preferences and not what other people on a forum like or don't like.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 51
I think what's more important is figuring out for yourself why you sold the hd700's and what you liked and didn't like about its sound. Same thing goes for your ifi black label. Headphones (or speakers) will give you the biggest change but I wouldn't if I were you spend 2 or 3k on a headphone at this point. Take your time and always keep in mind it's about your own preferences and not what other people on a forum like or don't like.
why i sold the HD700 was cause it was stuck with me for more than 2 years and wanted a change for sounds i hear as with my noble k10 changing to empire legend x. Prefer warmer or darker sounding iems/headphones with deeper bass response. Alas will keep in mind your last point as technology is advancing so there may be new tech i may like more down the road! cheers! As for the Ifi black label dont plan on changing that out anytime soon as it is a pretty good amp dac combo besides my desk space is limited and it does it's job well enough for me

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 51

^ This.
The question of how to upgrade someone's headphone setup often assumes that they know what headphone they like. In those cases, the question becomes the source or the amp. If you are still unsure about what headphone you prefer, then that's where your focus should be.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 51
^ This.
The question of how to upgrade someone's headphone setup often assumes that they know what headphone they like. In those cases, the question becomes the source or the amp. If you are still unsure about what headphone you prefer, then that's where your focus should be.
I see pretty much am happy with the dac and sources i have at the moment just want a headphone that has sound signature similar to the legend x with the deeper bass response and yet has the tonal clarity in vocals and great instrumental separation as with imaging. Due to me currently busy atm and is not convenient to head on out to audition headphones.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 51
Headphones create the biggest change, but every thing in the chain has an effect. That said at times what is upstream has a charming effect taking a lackluster headphone to a special place. It’s always that details are small that can make giant changes subjectively. I have recently found different tips for my K-10 Encore which gave them maybe a 1/2 decibel better bass. So that change happened after 1.5 years of fairly heavy use. So satisfaction is in the details.

And as gone over above; knowing your interest in sound preference character is the ultimate key to happiness. As it’s not always the quality of your equipment, but how close to your wanted sound signature that you by chance and science arrive at. Luck can be part of the equation here.

The only way most of us learned our desired sound was by buying and using gear long term.

But as far a tone goes.
Source changes tone.
Cables change tone.
Headphones change tone.
Amps change tone.
The combination of everything together changes tone.

And then there is the question of detail too. At times we give up musicality for detail.

And some tones are better for some genres and other music is at times benefited by another responce. There are few systems that excel at everything.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 51
Headphones create the biggest change, but every thing in the chain has an effect. That said at times what is upstream has a charming effect taking a lackluster headphone to a special place. It’s always that details are small that can make giant changes subjectively. I have recently found different tips for my K-10 Encore which gave them maybe a 1/2 decibel better bass. So that change happened after 1.5 years of fairly heavy use. So satisfaction is in the details.

And as gone over above; knowing your interest in sound preference character is the ultimate key to happiness. As it’s not always the quality of your equipment, but how close to your wanted sound signature that you by chance and science arrive at. Luck can be part of the equation here.

The only way most of us learned our desired sound was by buying and using gear long term.

But as far a tone goes.
Source changes tone.
Cables change tone.
Headphones change tone.
Amps change tone.
The combination of everything together changes tone.

And then there is the question of detail too. At times we give up musicality for detail.

And some tones are better for some genres and other music is at times benefited by another responce. There are few systems that excel at everything.
may i ask what were your tips that made some changes for the k-10 encore as i am quite curious and want to know more thanks for the sharing:) and yes i am aware of the entire chain and the idea of the audio is only as good as the weakest link thus me changing it part by part haha

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 51
If I started taking about tips the guys in the white coats would take me away.

I had great luck with Sony Triple Comfort Tips, but then changed to these which came with the Magaosi K5 IEM. Strange how material and maybe even inner diameter fit changes things. Also the area behind the tip opening somehow lets the ports really project out well.
8FA348A0-181E-408A-95EE-B7CE991DCF4F.jpeg

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 51
If I started taking about tips the guys in the white coats would take me away.

I had great luck with Sony Triple Comfort Tips, but then changed to these which came with the Magaosi K5 IEM. Strange how material and maybe even inner diameter fit changes things. Also the area behind the tip opening somehow lets the ports really project out well.
beautiful combination you have there! Alas due to me having fear of earwax failling into the pits of darkness within the iem i have shun away from eartips without waxguard. Thus my entire life i have been using comply eartips that has waxguard to protect the drivers, will give the final audio eartips a try later on with the legend x and maybe would try the noble k10 stock tips as well. Cheers for the sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back