What is driving the Little Dot phenomenon?
Sep 19, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #91 of 351
I've read a lot of reviews on this forum and THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME, not matter if it's a review for a LD or a review for a Zana, people use the exact same vague, subjective, fluffy describers over and over and over again. It's completely nuts if you ask me. Just do a quick comparison, it's pretty damn funny actually.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #92 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I hear what you are saying, I just think you are making too big of a deal over it.

I read both of Penchum's reviews on the MKII and the MKIII before purchasing them but his reviews were not the only ones I read. I think most people do what I did. Turns out after reading his thread I was a happy purchaser just like the hundreds of others who posted in the same threads.

Penchum has just called attention to what are generally great amps for their price range. All those happy buyers can't be too wrong. Penchum does glow about Little Dot Amps in his reviews but I think the intelligent shopper takes those types of remarks with a grain of salt. He does however give fabulous insight into the overall sound, build quality, modability etc.

You also talk about his experience with other amps and that may be a fair criticism. However, Penchum never claims that these amps outperform others just that they, the amps, are good themselves. Further, comparitive reviews on this message board are rarely, and I mean rarley helpful. Once in a blue moon you will get a good well written comparitive review like the one comparing the upgraded Woo Audio 6 to the Melos SHA and the Zana Deux from a while back. Most people suck at writting comparitive reviews because they usually come to the table with ridiculous biases and preferences or in the alternative are clueless when it comes to describing what they are actually hearing. And lets not mention the fact that everyone has different headphone tastes.

Penchum on the other hand gives impression reviews. He just listens to the thing and determines whether he is enjoying himself or not. He is also very good at describing what he is hearing.

I just think the criticism of Penchum isn't really that fair and it mainly stems from the fact that he likes Little Dot and hasn't felt the need to bother with anything else. Some people think that negates his positive reviews while others think it just reinforces them. It would be one thing if the amps sucked but they don't.

I think you've just stepped over into the "poster-child" status of Boomana's post. No?

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #93 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you've just stepped over into the "poster-child" status of Boomana's post. No?

I don't think so because I have confirmed most Penchum's opinions about the two Little Dot's I've owned with my own ears.

While I am new to the headphile scene, I have been a audiophile for a very long time. I know when I am hearing good quailty stuff.

Little Dots are not world beaters, and you will never hear me say so, but FOR THE MONEY they deliver great sound.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #94 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapwing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....people use the exact same vague, subjective, fluffy describers over and over and over again. It's completely nuts if you ask me. Just do a quick comparison, it's pretty damn funny actually.

Like your words here?

Quote:

Hi All,

I love my Little Dot MK III, it really makes my Senn 650s sing beautifully....

Quote:

....I'm afraid the these "laid-back, veiled" Sennheisers will become even more so with a tube amp. Crisp and soothing high vocals are a must for me....

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #95 of 351
The last thing I am going to say about this is it seems to me that a significant percentage, not a majority but significant nonetheless, of the critics of Little Dot and Penchum's alleged "shilling" is coming from folks who have never actually heard the amps. (This is not directed at anyone in particular only those who admitted to have never heard any Little Dot amp)

It seems to me that that is commiting the same error that the supposed Little Dot fanboys are making when they puff up Little Dot amps to no end. How would a critic who has never heard the amp know whether or not Penchum is just shilling or if he is directly on point?

I don't argue with Zana Deux, Singlepower, RSA etc owners about what they might or might not be hearing because I have not heard any of those amps.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #97 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like your words here?

I do love my LD MKIII because it has plenty of power to make my senns sing properly. Don't take my words out of their context. In the thread you cut that from I clearly stated my skepticism against the tube sound and I was looking for other peoples opinions. I was enticed by their comments and curiosity got the best of me so I went with a tube over a SS amp. I also couldn't find a SS amp with proper power specs at the price of the MKIII without resorting to a diy. After auditioning this tube amp first hand for hundreds of hours now I can firmly say I've found no significant difference between the sound of this tube amp and the SS I tried before.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #98 of 351
Quote:

^I hear what you are saying, I just think you are making too big of a deal over it.

We'll have to disagree here. I didn't start this thread, and didn't set out to make a big deal. I've watched this phenomenon unfold over a period of time, and it's been pretty obvious who has been driving it. I answered the question as I've seen it.

Yet, on one level, it is a bit of a big deal. Penchum's over 3000 posts are almost exclusively about the Little Dots or Zero amps. If he were merely posting his impressions or reviews of products he clearly enjoys, that's fine, but if you followed these threads, as well as his posts in the headphone forum and on the Little Dot forum, the rabid enthusiasm, without comparative knowledge, is driving a force of rabid enthusiasts who often have even less experience or knowledge. That's the phenomenon. Whether he's intentionally shilling or not, that is what he is doing.

Quote:

I don't think so because I have confirmed most Penchum's opinions about the two Little Dot's I've owned with my own ears.

While I am new to the headphile scene, I have been a audiophile for a very long time. I know when I am hearing good quailty stuff.

So you're comparing the sq quality of the Little Dots to Little Dots, when we're talking about headphone amps. You are confirming Penchum's limited knowledge only.

I'm not criticizing you personally, and again, I'm not talking about the amps at all, but this phenomenon, as the op questioned, is about people who have little to no experience with headphone amps other than Little Dots raving about Little Dots with Penchum keeping the threads alive.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #99 of 351
This thread is getting ridiculous.

For those of you who do write regular reviews, you would know that informative and comparative reviews are two different things. While the latter can include the former, both are equally legitimate. However, one thing that both require is basic facts. The fact that you have actually used the device you're reviewing. Since Penchum actually owns all those LD products, it is perfectly legitimate for him to write informative reviews on how HE feels about the units. In his review conclusions, neither did he say the product is best in the world nor did he attempt to compare or rank them better than devices from other brands. Now, the line comes down to whether his reviews are helpful/informative in helping potential buyers or are they just "Look at this, it's the best, you must buy it!" If you have read Penchum's reviews, you'd know that, and according to many others, they're definitely the former.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #100 of 351
I dont know about anyone else but my problem with it is this. Someone has narrowed it down to brand X and brand Y, then Penchum jumps in and stirs the pot untill the OP ends up buying Brand LD. By doing this he is making it very hard for someone to make a descion based on experience from other users who have compaired other brands and people could be making the wrong choice.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #101 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll have to disagree here. I didn't start this thread, and didn't set out to make a big deal. I've watched this phenomenon unfold over a period of time, and it's been pretty obvious who has been driving it. I answered the question as I've seen it.

Yet, on one level, it is a bit of a big deal. Penchum's over 3000 posts are almost exclusively about the Little Dots or Zero amps. If he were merely posting his impressions or reviews of products he clearly enjoys, that's fine, but if you followed these threads, as well as his posts in the headphone forum and on the Little Dot forum, the rabid enthusiasm, without comparative knowledge, is driving a force of rabid enthusiasts who often have even less experience or knowledge. That's the phenomenon. Whether he's intentionally shilling or not, that is what he is doing.

So you're comparing the sq quality of the Little Dots to Little Dots, when we're talking about headphone amps. You are confirming Penchum's limited knowledge only.

I'm not criticizing you personally, and again, I'm not talking about the amps at all, but this phenomenon, as the op questioned, is about people who have little to no experience with headphone amps other than Little Dots raving about Little Dots with Penchum keeping the threads alive.

Fair enough. He does post alot in his own threads. From what I have read alot of his posts are in response to questions directly posed to him by fellow little dot owners and potential buyers. But again your point, as a response to the OP's initial question, is well taken.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #102 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For those of you who do write regular reviews, you would know that informative and comparative reviews are two different things. While the latter can include the former, both are equally legitimate. However, one thing that both require is basic facts. The fact that you have actually used the device you're reviewing. Since Penchum actually owns all those LD products, it is perfectly legitimate for him to write informative reviews on how HE feels about the units. In his review conclusions, neither did he say the product is best in the world nor did he attempt to compare or rank them better than devices from other brands. Now, the line comes down to whether his reviews are helpful/informative in helping potential buyers or are they just "Look at this, it's the best, you must buy it!" If you have read Penchum's reviews, you'd know that, and according to many others, they're definitely the former.

Very well put. I've always enjoyed reading Penchum's excitement for his equipment. You're right on the money, Penchum has never demanded anyone to purchase this amp or you'll be sorry. He very politely tells the person of his own experience and love for his LDs.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #103 of 351
Quote:

I don't argue with Zana Deux, Singlepower, RSA etc owners about what they might or might not be hearing because I have not heard any of those amps.

Well, I'm not arguing that Little Dot owners aren't enjoying what they're hearing and I also think they should be able to post about it as they choose. I am questioning their ability to say anything at all about the quality of the amps, other than maybe the build quality, if they've not heard other.

I have heard the Zana Deux, as well as three other Eddie Current amps, a few SinglePowers, all of Ray's line (only heard a prototype predator), most headrooms, and quite a few others, DIY included. That doesn't make me an expert, doesn't make me right, and it doesn't mean my preferences will be the same as another's choices. What is does mean is that my opinion is more informed than others when speaking about any of the amps I've heard. If I talk about the sq of any amp, I have reference points. The only Little Dot I've heard didn't come close to most in sq quality, but that doesn't means ones I haven't heard haven't improved since that time. From those who have more experience than I with Little Dots, they've made improvements and I can only hope they have.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #104 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/lit...9/#post4360453

Yes he does write very nice reviews and im sure they could be honest and based on his experience, but, there is a difference between keeping Little-Dot threads on the front page and joining every single "help me decide" amp thread and just writing reviews for people to find and look up when they are so inclined. Its a very big difference.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #105 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/lit...9/#post4360453

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is that crying sound? Ow, it's your future MKV calling out to you from it's box in China. "Hurry up and buy me Stefan, before I get flooded or something!"
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no denying the synergy between the MKV and Senn top three. I just can't figure how you could go wrong with the MKV. If I remember correctly, you have a good source, so you have that end taken care of. I would only be concerned if your source was poor. Everything else is already covered and cleared for audio bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I'm biased because I own one, use the same headphones and I have a decent source. If you can hear what I hear, you will be a major happy camper, for sure! Good luck either way!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that speaks for itself. Are you trying to prevent the freedom of speech or are you just trying to use disinformation to prove your own point? Either way, this is an open forum, anyone with advice/experience can chime in any discussions. It's up to the buyers who decide what to buy, unless you believe they are idiots who easily submit to a mind-washing wizard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back