What is driving the Little Dot phenomenon?
Sep 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #62 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say if you can't hear a difference between a little dot and a zana deux, then you should consider yourself lucky.

I'd say a fair test would be two people set up their amps so that they sound best to them. Then listen to both. If after doing this, you think the little dot sounds better, rejoice, you've saved yourself an expensive journey (that is fun, but still).

Exactly. I honestly believe this would be the case with all people if they set aside their biases, and hadn't invested such a ridiculously large amount of money in their "high end" gear. When you spend so much on a possession you find all kinds of way to justify the purchase, it's text book placebo food!
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #63 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapwing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I honestly believe this would be the case with all people if they set aside their biases, and hadn't invested such a ridiculously large amount of money in their "high end" gear. When you spend so much on a possession you find all kinds of way to justify the purchase, it's text book placebo food!
biggrin.gif

The amount you spent on your little dot would be considered "ridiculously large" to many people, I would imagine. What do you say to justify it that can't be said about, say, a Singlepower Extreme?

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #64 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just so happen to live in a very reasonable and scientific manor. I inherited it from my father.

Should you wish to conduct any tests there, please feel free.

I actually visit Boulder CO every so often to visit old friends there, I lived in CO for 15 years (and miss it dearly)... Maybe someday we could organize an effort to conduct a real analytical comparison of our own. Though, many have already done this and they've all concluded similarly....

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #65 of 351
Quote:

I just so happen to live in a very reasonable and scientific manor. I inherited it from my father.

Should you wish to conduct any tests there, please feel free.

Heehee.
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #66 of 351
Quote:

The amount you spent on your little dot would be considered "ridiculously large" to many people, I would imagine. What do you say to justify it that can't be said about, say, a Singlepower Extreme?

I needed an amplifier which was could power my high impedance HD-650s, and had tried and true build quality. I found that match with the LD MK-III. From the get go I was skeptical about tube amplifiers and I decided to buy one my self to see what all the buzz was about. After using the MK-III for a few hundred hours now and comparing it against my friend's SS Denon and HeadRoom's hybrid, I honestly could not decipher much of a difference other than the HeadRoom and LD had significantly more gain. I'm in no way concluding that it's impossible that there can be an audible difference between the LD and a higher end amp, but I have yet to experience or read about any proof in this favor.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #67 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I didn't saw in the beginning where I was coming from is because the thread is "What is driving the Little Dot phenomenon?" not "What does grawk use to decide when evaluating amps". What is driving the little dot phenomenon is shilling.

As to the laughable argument that a watt is a watt, well, I'd say if you can't hear a difference between a little dot and a zana deux, then you should consider yourself lucky.

I'd say a fair test would be two people set up their amps so that they sound best to them. Then listen to both. If after doing this, you think the little dot sounds better, rejoice, you've saved yourself an expensive journey (that is fun, but still).

Thanks for clearing it up...

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #68 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lapwing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually visit Boulder CO every so often to visit old friends there, I lived in CO for 15 years (and miss it dearly)... Maybe someday we could organize an effort to conduct a real analytical comparison of our own. Though, many have already done this and they've all concluded similarly....

Boulder is a fine town, indeed, and was my home for five years.

If you're ever in the area, give me a ring. I always love listening to new equipment, and I love having friends over to compare.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #69 of 351
Here's my take on Little Dot budget amps.

These amps are wonderful for people who are curious about tubes but don't want to spend a lot of money. I payed about $174 (shipping included) for my Little Dot 2+ a couple years ago. I was very happy with it despite the arcing problems. Didn't affect the sound. It's not perfect but still sings.

I thank Little Dot for converting many people into being tube lovers. It's great. Little Dot type amps should be maistream IMO. Great amps.

If you wish to move on further, get a higher end amp and spend the extra money. But Little Dot amps are really very nice even if you don't spend the money for a more refined amp. These amps are perfect for your little DAP units or even a high quality CD player since the tubes will smooth it out that annoying digital sound a bit.

What I love about Little Dot amps is that you can buy one for your office or bedroom, have nice sound and still have money left over for a great steak dinner.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #70 of 351
I've had various LD amps and my current MK3 is fantastic, especially for the price.

I think this thread is being driven under the assumption that there is something wrong with having a "phenomenon." Many equipments have their own explicit "Appreciation" thread yet no one seems to question their validity. In fact, haters are explicitly told to take their bashing somewhere else. Indeed, there's nothing wrong with fully enjoying and appreciating the product you own.

Quite frankly, I dont know how long olblueyez has been around the forums. But from what i can remember, there has been plenty of discussions/criticism about LD's older LD2+/++ models and their faulty designs. Since the launch of the MARK series, howerver, LD has truly stepped up the game and the products became something that nobody can really find any major faults in. So, with the launching of such good series of products and attractive price tags, I'd be surprised if we havent seen the growth of such phenomenon.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #71 of 351
When my LD 1+ arrives I will have 3 LD amps and I bought them all without Penchum's help. I bought the SE because I wanted to try tubes without paying for unnecessary refinement that has little to do sound quality and far too much to do with winning pissing contests. I bought the MKV because I liked the SE sound so much I wanted to hear what LD could do with a SS amp. After receiving so much joy for so little money I decided to see what LD could do for $109 so I purchased the 1+ and now eagerly await its arrival. David's superb customer service made buying these amps too easy. As for Penshum, if those of you who rag on him contributed a tenth as much useful information and helpful hand holding as he does, this would be a far better place and your lives would have some meaning for a change.

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #72 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When my LD 1+ arrives I will have 3 LD amps

Got mine yesterday...You're gonna love this one.....Grab some 408a's off eBay...

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #73 of 351
Thanks for taking out the trash...

I am glad there are threads like this, where people express there joy in an amp. It only makes me happier that I chose LD. I am going to order my amp in the next week and I have to just give a big thank you to all of you guys for really helping me make up my mind, and especially for putting up with my pestering/PM's.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #74 of 351
The LD 1+ is my first headphone amp (tube amp also). I think it sounds fantastic. The build quality is excellent and like everyone has mentioned, Dave is a great guy. His quick reply's to my e-mail's made me feel secure sending $150 to the other side of the planet. On top of that, the amp took only 3 days to get to NJ. Really, I didn't order
from Little Dot based on review of the other amps they sell, but based on price ($150 shipped was hard to beat) and Dave's reputation.

Little Dot now has a new long time customer, me.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #75 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When my LD 1+ arrives I will have 3 LD amps and I bought them all without Penchum's help. I bought the SE because I wanted to try tubes without paying for unnecessary refinement that has little to do sound quality and far too much to do with winning pissing contests. I bought the MKV because I liked the SE sound so much I wanted to hear what LD could do with a SS amp. After receiving so much joy for so little money I decided to see what LD could do for $109 so I purchased the 1+ and now eagerly await its arrival. David's superb customer service made buying these amps too easy. As for Penshum, if those of you who rag on him contributed a tenth as much useful information and helpful hand holding as he does, this would be a far better place and your lives would have some meaning for a change.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Penchum has been a great help to me and many, many others. He is selfless and is a credit to this forum. I for one, thank him immensely for his contributions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back