What is an Audiophile ?
Oct 30, 2001 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gavinbirss

Head-Fier
My father, which is from the analog school climbed into the car with his audio file.

I asked him whether that is what an "audiophile" is : ie a person who carries a file about audio.
confused.gif

Here is what he said : ( His version of an audiophile)

" It is a dirty old man that seduces young girls with music "
very_evil_smiley.gif

Does anybody else want to comment.

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 22
You've a very literate father...I think.

After all, got you thinking, didn't he?

Oct 30, 2001 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 22
"Audiophile" definitely has some negative connotations. It kind of has a sickening feel to it. I wouldn't go around telling people that you're an audiophile. People might think you're a sissy. You never ever hear anyone in the real world use the word "audiophile". If anyone came up to me in person and said they were an audiophile, that would be all the signal I'd need to steer clear of that person. I would think "Hey, this guy ain't quite right", and I'd just slowly back away.

If you think about it, a lot of things that we talk about on here would get you in trouble in the real world. All the time, we have people doing all kinds of weird things to their headphones. We have people opening the ear pieces, tinkering with the drivers, replacing the drivers, changing the cords, painting things different colors, etc. This is not normal behavior. But here, instead of being chastised and cast out, this behavior is sometimes even encouraged! Someone will say "Check it out! I just modded my ear pieces with tin foil!" and even post pictures of this, to which some else will respond "That is awesome! What brand of tin foil did you use? I've heard that people have gotten good results with Reynolds!"

Oct 30, 2001 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

"Check it out! I just modded my ear pieces with tin foil!" and even post pictures of this, to which some else will respond "That is awesome! What brand of tin foil did you use? I've heard that people have gotten good results with Reynolds!"

Wasn't that Todd?

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 22
AHAHAHAHAHA........wait........

"I have no comment......regarding the accuracy of the opening statement in this thread.........that is all."

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 22
It’s actually simple. An audiophile is a person who cares about reproduced sound quality.

You don’t have to be an expert. You can even be wrong with misinformation or know nothing. And you don’t even have to spend a lot of money.

The IEMs I’m using now cost $35. I think it sounds great and therefore I’m a proud audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back