What is a Healthy & Tasty Snack?
Feb 13, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Gin n'tonic? Drink enough in an evening and it'll be calorie-free too!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol. 1 beer has 150 calories, 2 beers have 300, but 10 beers have no calories

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 grams of carb in an apple, net carb 17.5 gram. Enough to trigger insulin release. No fat to delay gastric absorption. Glycaemic index is 40

All carbs aren't created equal, and apples have lower sugar release than whole-grain foods. And I didn't think this thread was about diets. And if you really want to talk medically, anytime you eat carbohydrates you'll trigger insulin release. If you're talking about the all-around dreaded sugar rush then no, you won't get it by eating an apple. ~70% of the carbs in baby carrots are "sugars" (rest is fiber) but you don't see people getting a sugar rush after eating alot of baby carrots do you?

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a fan of Granola. Man, is that stuff tasty and I love that crunch!

Another shout-out for granola. Good stuff, and it fills you up pretty quickly. Plus subtle additions to it will change the flavor very nicely so you're never bored.

Another snack I enjoy is the peas that you eat along with the pod. I fill up a bag of those and can be happy for hours.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All carbs aren't created equal, and apples have lower sugar release than whole-grain foods. And I didn't think this thread was about diets. And if you really want to talk medically, anytime you eat carbohydrates you'll trigger insulin release. If you're talking about the all-around dreaded sugar rush then no, you won't get it by eating an apple. ~70% of the carbs in baby carrots are "sugars" (rest is fiber) but you don't see people getting a sugar rush after eating alot of baby carrots do you?

It is my impression that even though apples do have a lot of sugar in them the reason why you don't see the blood sugar spike and thus insulin release is that you don't have access to all the sugars at once like a sugar cube. With a sugar cube when it dissolves you absorb it virtually immediately (creating a blood sugar spike) but with apples even with good chewing the sugar are contained within cell walls which takes a while to digest and since it takes time the effect on your blood sugar is slower and more manageable.

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #37 of 52
I like fresh fruit. A piece or two is filling for awhile and it doesn't hurt to have another if you're hungry. I find that a cup of tea helps, too.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #38 of 52
I love those miniature carrots.
Taste good, and easy to have around.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another shout-out for granola. Good stuff, and it fills you up pretty quickly. Plus subtle additions to it will change the flavor very nicely so you're never bored.

Another snack I enjoy is the peas that you eat along with the pod. I fill up a bag of those and can be happy for hours.

Granola has a TON of sugar.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I eat a can of almonds yesterday...and I paid dearly for it last night...OMG! They were so addicting, before I knew it they were gone! I'm never going to do that again. I'm still suffering residuals today...it hurts to sit!

Oh man, I feel - or rather, have felt your pain! Lay's have got NOTHING on nuts.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #42 of 52
When i trained for weight gaining I chomped on a lot of nuts and it was awesome!

I'll assume you're not an active person who works out 2-3 times a week though.

Anyhow, a little nuts are GOOD for you. They contain a lot of good fats so you can throw a few in your mouth during the day. Notice a few and not a snack worth.

Otherwise prepare yourself a lot of vegetables/fruits. An apple, broccoli, oranges, small tomatoes, carrots, celery, etc.. Those will fill you up, give you plenty of vitamins and energy while keeping the effective calories low.

Drink water, no-sugar added powder stuff can be added for tastyness. Not too much coffee (use sweeteners if possible).

Although I don't obey none of that since a work-related injury took me out of training for a little while
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i trained for weight gaining...

You can train for that? Man, I've been in weight gain training for years then!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #44 of 52
If you have access to a fridge, I love cottage cheese w/ chive and some crackers. It's an excellent combination.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #45 of 52
OK, i've got a pretty unusual but very tasty and fun snack.
Flax Seeds. alone, not in a bread or anything. They're pretty cool. they have a unique grassy taste if un-roasted, and an almost popcorny taste if roasted. They're a great source of fiber, and have anti-oxidants and omega-3's. they're tiny, and though somewhat expensive when compared to a bag of chips, last forever (its impossible to eat them very fast).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back