What is a Healthy & Tasty Snack?
Feb 13, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 52
Don't know about healthy, but Halvah Joyva is delicious! I eat a tub at a time and must restrain myself from eating more. It contains honey and sesame. Can states that it's a nourishing sesame confection (I agree). I inhale a pound in a sitting.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackerJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rice cakes

Punishing, eating like a bird. Not filling at all. Then again, it probably is healthy.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Celery. Plain celery, or with your favorite peanut butter or ranch (though that's not so healthy).

How about, peanut butter spooned right out of the jar straight to the mouth. That's my idea of a snack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wasabi.gif

I know, I know. Unsalted, raw almonds are much healthier, but these things taste delicious. I don't work for Blue Diamond. Just a happy customer.

Thanks!
George

Those Wasabi + Soysauce almonds are quite yummy, and Rite Aid has a Buy 1 Get 1 sale once in a while for that brand.

I also recommend bite-size veggies (carrots & celery) and dried fruit from CostCo is your best options. But also try to fill-up on healthy and filling water too.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The type of fat in nuts is not going to kill you, but the salt might. Avoid snacking on grapes, apples and any other glucose/fructose rich sugar containing fruits. These will keep triggering insulin release and keep your body from using stored glycogen and fatty acids to maintain your blood sugar. Insulin is anabolic and will make you fat.

Incorrect - apples won't do that. They are low glycemic. Something in them prevents a sugar rush. I've eatin several apples at once and haven't felt any sugar rush at all. Grapes are middle glycemic.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #24 of 52
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but baby carrots aren't baby at all. They're regular carrots that have imperfections or are rotten that are salvaged. Funny thing is I used to think "baby" carrots were somehow sweeter than regular carrots.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #25 of 52
What about oriental rice crackers? If there's only one snack that I can't live without it's oriental rice crackers. I'm not a big fan of the fried peas, though. I usually buy a pound from the local farmer's market.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incorrect - apples won't do that. They are low glycemic. Something in them prevents a sugar rush. I've eatin several apples at once and haven't felt any sugar rush at all. Grapes are middle glycemic.

20 grams of carb in an apple, net carb 17.5 gram. Enough to trigger insulin release. No fat to delay gastric absorption. Glycaemic index is 40

Most carb control diets restrict you to less than 20g net carbs per day during the induction phase to keep you in gluconeogenesis.

Atkins, total carb per day during phase 1 to be less than 20g net.
Specific advice on apples is to eat half an apple per day max.

The Carbohydrate addicts diet, restricted to 4g net per meal except at reward meals.

Zone Diet, balance net carb with protein and fat in ratio 7p:9c:1.5f

South Beach, avoid high glycaemic index foods

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 52
I keep reading about pretzels and popcorn here, but both tend to be primarily carbs and salt (in the way most folks eat them, presuming that one eats low-fat or air-popped popcorn.)

A nutritionist in our local paper wrote that they are effectively "empty calories" because they contain precious little in the way of other nutrients.

I presume that the popcorn husks end up being analyzed and reported as dietary fiber, though I don't know how effective they are versus what appears to more "fibrous" material in fruits and vegetables.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dig sesame sticks as a snack. They taste great and the sesame seeds are supposed to be good for you.

I'm with you on this one. I tend to suck back a small bag of these little gems every couple of days. Just can't get enough!

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 52
I'm a fan of Granola. Man, is that stuff tasty and I love that crunch!

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 52
How about Gin n'tonic? Drink enough in an evening and it'll be calorie-free too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back