What is a good headphone for house music production in Abelton Live ??
Jun 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

DT00L

New Head-Fier
Hi to you all, i'm new here and I hope you guy's with all those headphone experience can help me out.
It often occurs that i'm producing house music in Ableton Live late at night.
At these late night times i can't play loud on my monitor speakers, so i'm searching for some good headphones with a neutral character for producing house music on these late night times.
I own a Senheisser HD500, HD265 and HD25.
All off these Senheisser's are in mine opinion not the the stuff i'm looking for, this are the reasons why:

Senheisser HD25:
Very very good headphone when you are behind the decks and spinning some records in a club, just where the are made for.
But dynamics are poor on this headphone, what it does good is that you can hear the layer's where the record is build up some better (it is easier tot reconize them).

Senheisser HD265
To much bass, get's fuzzy in musical pieces with a lot of layer's, makes the sound to warm, and i'm getting tired listening to them after a hour or so.

Senheisser HD500
Love in form of sound quality, but just as with the HD265 they get fuzzy when it get's busy in the music.

I own some nice stereo equipment that doesn't have this problem with the same pieces of music as on the headphones, the same fact goes for the monitor speakers i own.
So if any of you have some good advice for, just shoot and enlighten me :)
Thanks in advance and peace out !

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 22
Check out German Maestro gmp 8.35d and Shure 840 they have extended lows and balanced, dryer signature(they dont need an amp). Akg k701 is great monitoring 'phone I was stunned how it sounds with  Trentmoller, Gui Boratto and with all great electronic music production but you need some amplification and they are open.
And yeah, akg dont lack in bass department ....

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 22
Hey guy's thanks for the replies !
I'm going to look at the German Maestro, Shure and the AKG headphones and gonna look if i can find a dealer in my neighbourhood of these brands, so I can make a test ride on these headphones.
I'm pretty new on the field of headphones so I don't understand what you mean with it needs some amplification.
I own a digital interface of M-Audio: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html
Will this do the trick for the AKG K701 or do I need additional equipment like a special headphone amplifier ??
Trentemoller is btw a good example of the kind of music i'm trying to produce, so thanks for sharing your experience on the AKG loopfreak.
Once again thanks in advance !!! 

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 22
Think that with fast pro gmp.835d , shure 840 or k271 would be great choices( 'phones that would be fully driven).Learning curve is pretty important IMO so my advice is dont jump on k701/2, do mixes with these babys then time will tell if you need an upgrade.  If you take the k701/2 path them matirx m-stage should be in your sight...

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 22
Idk if I could use the K70x's personally, looking at their FR graph and looking at the major frequencies used in house. I mainly produce dubstep and use my HD25s and HD600s w. KRK monitors via an Apogee Duet and don't find the 25s lacking in 'dynamics' if by that term you mean merely 'variations in amplitude'. I think the 600/650s and 25s would be a good combination - as long as you have a pair of monitors to fall back on.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Idk if I could use the K70x's personally, looking at their FR graph and looking at the major frequencies used in house. I mainly produce dubstep and use my HD25s and HD600s w. KRK monitors via an Apogee Duet and don't find the 25s lacking in 'dynamics' if by that term you mean merely 'variations in amplitude'. I think the 600/650s and 25s would be a good combination - as long as you have a pair of monitors to fall back on.

You can try the K702 with your Apogee, and I'm sure you'll get a new perspective on your music/mix/mastering.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Think that with fast pro gmp.835d , shure 840 or k271 would be great choices( 'phones that would be fully driven).Learning curve is pretty important IMO so my advice is dont jump on k701/2, do mixes with these babys then time will tell if you need an upgrade.  If you take the k701/2 path them matirx m-stage should be in your sight...

Out of the M-Audio the M-50 sound great too,especially at $95 on ebay.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
You can try the K702 with your Apogee, and I'm sure you'll get a new perspective on your music/mix/mastering.

I'm sure I would, soundstage-wise, but that's why I have my studio monitors. The 70x's are famed for the lack of bass, but I'll try and get my hands on a pair to test it out.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 22
if get into new 'phone thing it will be gmp 8.35d, like the way they look, durable design and some people that I believe on these forums say its good.
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 22
Alright,

New to the forum so Hello everyone and would like to bump this thread.

Im in the exact same dilema. Im producing House and after a set of cans. Do not necassarily need the music loud but i do need it clear so am unsure whether i require an amp? If i can get away without an amp that would be great. Im using the EMU 0404 and the cans i have in mind are the:

HD600
AKG 701
DT880

Ive read many threads on the forum and have found info such as "K701s require amp" "EMU0404 supports higher impedance better than lower" So pretty confused thus far.

Any advice appreciated on the best set of cans to suit my equipment and production needs

Thanks a lot guys

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 22
M-audio Q40
Shure SRH-840
Sony MDR-7506

I would opt for the MDR-7506's Personally. Their high end is a tad sharp some people complain but they are detailed headphones and especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back