What is a "fun" headphone?
Nov 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 32
Not sure how many open headphones are available for under $100, going from $100 to $200 would usually see a significant improvement. I thought the king of 'fun' headphones at ~$200 was the Denon D2000s.
With a recable, they can improve their SQ even further

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
sorry for bumping this but

are there any fun/colored OPEN headphones around $100 with a decent soundstage? The only ones I can find are Grados which have too small a soundi OWN A PAIR OF SR80I'S

I OWN GRADO SR80I'S AND FOUND THAT BENDING THE HEADBAND JUST SO THE DRIVERS ARE HANGING ON YOUR HEAD WITH NO PRESSURE AT ALL, THE SOUNDSTAGE OPENED UP, DONT BE AFFRAID TO BEND THE BAND ALMOST TO THE POINT WERE THE BAND IS STRAIGHT, THEN LETTING IT RELAX I FOUND THIS MUST BE DONE MORE THAN A FEW TIMES BECAUSE THE SPRING METAL BAND WANTS TO RETURN BACK TO ITS ORIGANAL SHAPE BUT DONT BE AFFRAID TO DO THIS, THE RESULTS FOR ME WAS AWSOME!!! THESE ARE EXTREMELY FUN HEADPHONES FOR UNDER 100$, BUT DEFENITLY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY FOR YOUR HEAD TO SOUND AWESOME ( IMO NIGHT AND DAY) SO If POSSIBLE TRY THEM AGAIN!

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
I OWN GRADO SR80I'S AND FOUND THAT BENDING THE HEADBAND JUST SO THE DRIVERS ARE HANGING ON YOUR HEAD WITH NO PRESSURE AT ALL, THE SOUNDSTAGE OPENED UP, DONT BE AFFRAID TO BEND THE BAND ALMOST TO THE POINT WERE THE BAND IS STRAIGHT, THEN LETTING IT RELAX I FOUND THIS MUST BE DONE MORE THAN A FEW TIMES BECAUSE THE SPRING METAL BAND WANTS TO RETURN BACK TO ITS ORIGANAL SHAPE BUT DONT BE AFFRAID TO DO THIS, THE RESULTS FOR ME WAS AWSOME!!! THESE ARE EXTREMELY FUN HEADPHONES FOR UNDER 100$, BUT DEFENITLY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY FOR YOUR HEAD TO SOUND AWESOME ( IMO NIGHT AND DAY) SO If POSSIBLE TRY THEM AGAIN!

why are you yelling at me?

jk, thanks for that tip :)

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #19 of 32
Yeah, it does look like I was yelling at you, my (caps lock) was on Im not yelling this time as you can see, but really I think the 80's are just an awesome headphone especially for the price, I dont know if you have ever heard them before but if not try them out and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #22 of 32
The sr60i comes with the(S) cushion wich is  the most comfortable, I also think they sound just fine with these headphones. I  own the (S) and the (L) cushions and there is a big difference in sound from one to the other, it's like having two different headphones, niether one is better they they just have totally different sounds to them,  it just depends one wich sound you like, Grado also makes a (G) cushion wich goes around your ear wich I would like to hear, but for now I enjoy the sound from the (L). There are also other companys that make cushions that fit grado but I've never heard them.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #23 of 32
I'll also mention that audibly transparent (neutral) is not boring and lifeless as is often claimed. Harmon has done extensive research using loudspeakers, and they found that people universally prefer speakers that are most accurate. Hey, don't you want to hear exactly what the mix engineer and producer heard as they honed the music?

--Ethan Winer 

To add to what Ethan said, there are very rarely good reasons to deviate from what the artist intended. For instance, examine the word "hi-fi" attributed so frequently to expensive cans. What does it mean? Hi-fi means high fidelity to the source. Meaning, more expensive setups should naturally get you closer to what the artist intended. If people wanted coloration in their music, EQ could get them far closer to what they really want. 

Which brings us to another question: what do we really want? Some people identify themselves as "bassheads". What does this even mean? Does it mean that they want accentuated bass in everything that they hear? Does this mean that they desire purely the sound - preferring bass to be more prominent than the midrange or treble in overall sound presentation - ,and not the artistry of music - sophisticated blend of articulation, lyrics, harmony, rhythm, etc. ? But one could hardly want a greater bass presence in every song that they listen to - listening to a Mozart symphony with overpowering bass instruments is not only disrespectful to the composer, performers, and recorder, but also an unpleasant musical experience.

On the other hand, it's true that headphones need a greater bass presence. Subbass is particularly hard to replicate in headphones. It's easy to hear them but difficult to feel them unless the subbass is elevated than what is considered a flat frequency response. 

Despite what many people think, there is a large number of music that recording engineers painfully strive to perfect. Most people have never heard a neutral rig or have enough experiences of live performances; they blatantly refuse to give a chance to listen to what these engineers and artists intended. I think that's a real shame. Coloration of the sound should occur only after one has heard what the artist intended. In addition, coloration of sound should only be applied to particular songs/ pieces of music at a time, not exerted on one's whole music library.

But let me elaborate. Let's assume that you already listened to what the engineer intended:
 Obviously there are times when the listener wants something that deviates from - or improves upon - what the artist/ engineer intended. In such scenarios, it's very well favorable to color the sound to one's subjective liking. It's absurd to assume that one should always listen to what the artist/ engineer intended; doing so would mean one believes that an artist always make the best decisions within the music, never making arbitrary or poor choices, which is largely false. Only the greatest musicians created music with the utmost deliberation. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:
The sr60i comes with the(S) cushion wich is  the most comfortable, I also think they sound just fine with these headphones. I  own the (S) and the (L) cushions and there is a big difference in sound from one to the other, it's like having two different headphones, niether one is better they they just have totally different sounds to them,  it just depends one wich sound you like, Grado also makes a (G) cushion wich goes around your ear wich I would like to hear, but for now I enjoy the sound from the (L). There are also other companys that make cushions that fit grado but I've never heard them.

okay, probably going to get the SR60i now.

I heard the (L) cushions improve the soundstage significantly so I might give those a try. My ears might be JUUUST small enough to fit inside too.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 32
Hi

Excellent post by LV above :)

A fun headphone is not a helpful description IMO, although I realise I probably am in the minority with this view. Sure, what is meant is to impart its on sonic signature on the music which may or may not be to the listeners liking. FWIW, I prefer a headphone, and indeed speakers, not to impart there own sonic signature on the music within certain limits which i am prepared to live with. My preference is for kit that allows the music itself to convey the emotion of the music. This may be "fun" to my ears, or it could be sad or thoughtful. IME, there is precious little kit out there that does have this level of ability. I struggled long and hard to find a pair of closed back headphones with this quality and ended up at the Beyer 1350. They are over your budget but do work straight from my iPod Classic, although they are more demanding to drive compared to many others I tried.

If the environment you are going to listen in will accept an open headphone, the Grado range are the ones to go for IMO, the iGrado being a peach for the money! AFAIK they are all very easy to drive and all those I have heard [most of the range] allow the true emotion of the music to come through, given a good source.

Best wishes, Julian

May 23, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #26 of 32
Okay, so this concept of a fun headphone can be quite different for some people. It just depends on what you are used to.
For instance, myself for a lot of years, I used the HD 800’ C’s a lot. That is a headphone with extremely dense detail retrieval and super critical with music sources. Switching over now (for fun) which for me would be a warmer more bass driven and less bright headphone, for me the LCD XC are an awesome crossover from the 800’s....for me though.
Point is I know some would not find the LCD XC’s warm or relaxed at all, but for me it’s like a paid vacation and they’re quite a bit more forgiving with badly mastered recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back