What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
May 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #76 of 316
If i could only have ONE it would be Grado RS1 with pink drivers. They're the most fun and engaging phones i used to have.

If i could only have TWO it would be Grado PS1 Pro for home use and VModa M100 for portable.

May 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #77 of 316
I recently purchased a new pair of Koss TBSE  for $60. I could live with these, happily. These are well made and guaranteed for life. Since I retired, I'd much rather spend my  limited income on music...and food, and utility bills, and medical bills, and beer, etc.

May 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #78 of 316
I go by this ideology for the most part when traveling down this hobby's road in the first place, so for me the choices are pretty easy.  It was the same methodology that made me keep the D2000 over the HD650 as an overall package.

HE-400 for home use and some kind of high performing ciem for portable use.

Now, one though.  That's a very difficult question to answer.  Given that I use my headphones 90% as home usage or transportable though, it might just be the HE-400.

May 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #79 of 316
Koss KSC35

May 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #80 of 316
I think there's a high probability that one's answer will depend on how many different headphones they've heard. I'll concentrate my answer on what needs the headphone in question satisfies rather than the specific model I choose.

If I could only have one headphone, I'd want something with my preferred sound signature (slightly brighter than neutral) and which maximizes sonic potential (meaning most likely open-backed circumaural, as other designs introduce compromises). My current example is a DT880. If I heard something that fit my preferences better, I'd change to that. Basically I want extended, open, airy, neutral, and with a high enough impedance that source matching issues are kept to a minimum.

If I could only have two headphones, I'd want whichever one I selected above, plus a closed-back circumaural (one step down the sonic potential ladder, IMO). My SRH440 currently fulfills that role, but of course if I found something I liked better I'd switch to that. I want a little more bass and a bit less treble from my second headphone because it's the one I plan to use portably--I think that signature works better for portable use as it allows me to gently increase the volume (without fatigue from the treble) and compensates a little bit for how bass seems to get lost in noisy surroundings. I also need this headphone to be more efficient so low-powered portable players and general-purpose audio outputs (e.g. a computer) can run it unamped to decent volume.

Essentially, headphone #1 is my critical listening vehicle, whereas headphone #2 is more practical and has slight sonic deviations from #1 chosen to compensate for the environments in which #2 is likely to be used. Incidentally, apart from its journey from Bozeman, MT, my DT880 has never been outside my house since I purchased it in 2010.

May 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #81 of 316
+1
I bought about 5 or 6 mid tier headphones on the cheap (used) sold off everything but my HD650 for home away from home (school), DT880 for home and a disassembled M50 which was a gift (whoops). Then I did the same for portables except I sold off all of them (doh!) but waiting for my next pair to arrive. 
Like Tyll said, comfort and Isolation should be huge things to consider. I didnt find headphones like the HE500. LCD2 or even HD650 to be very comfortable. I have a picky head? So I guess I wouldnt mind living without those. I dont care about isolation really since ill be having portables to cover that. I would always have two headphones, home and portable so this is weird.. 

For a one solution: Either HD800 (if I like them..still havent heard them, really want to try them) or Momentum (same), if not will be sticking to HD650. Maybe plus Antlion modmic!
          Edit: forgot to add the T1 in there. Really need to go to a meet.
For two: The one solution plus CIEM. How could this not be the 2nd choice?

This was a lot harder than I thought because I made me reevaluate function (comfort, isolation, mic, aesthetics) vs sound quality (cost...) 

Quote:
I go by this ideology for the most part when traveling down this hobby's road in the first place, so for me the choices are pretty easy.  It was the same methodology that made me keep the D2000 over the HD650 as an overall package.

HE-400 for home use and some kind of high performing ciem for portable use.

Now, one though.  That's a very difficult question to answer.  Given that I use my headphones 90% as home usage or transportable though, it might just be the HE-400.

I think JUDE would have a panic attack if he had to choose only one. lol! 

May 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #82 of 316
Only judging by cans I've actually heard and not dream cans, I would have to go with D2000's if I could only have 1. It's fun, rich and engaging. Sounds good out of my portable and my home rig. 2 sets would be LCD-2 for home and W4R's for portability.

May 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #83 of 316
Tyll!
  1. Why do you go from Momentum for one solution to MDR for two solution?
  2. Also how does this tie in with sources and amps? Is this a factor and what would you choose?

I think this thread is a sign.. I began thinking about a one headphone solution, wagering my HD650 + Crack and DT880 to alternatives like the momentum. 
I go to browse the For Sale Thread and I see a HD650 WTB and a Momentum FS..... PMs have been sent. 

lets see if this works out.....
have a nice day. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #85 of 316
Quote:
Tyll!
  1. Why do you go from Momentum for one solution to MDR for two solution?

Maybe he doesn't want to deal with the rattling plug/jack when he's out, but can live with it while chilling at home?

May 13, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #86 of 316

hi guys,

i've just bought a momentum headset, but am increasingly worried about its plug quality.

since i have bad experiences with various headphone plugs before, now i can't help but wonder how long this one will last, cos' they all tend to be very short-lived for wiring/contact problems.

one of them which has set a haertbreaking record for me was a Monster, which merely lasted for 2 weeks before the connnecting plug wire went malfunctioned.
in some way this could be analogous to breast implants
L3000.gif
, wouldn't you agree?

May 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #87 of 316
Quote:
in some way this could be analogous to breast implants
L3000.gif
, wouldn't you agree?

First of all, if we're talking about that, then I'd definitely insist on having two.  Having only one just wouldn't be right.  Srsly.

Secondly...

Quote:
hi guys,

i've just bought a momentum headset, but am increasingly worried about its plug quality.

since i have bad experiences with various headphone plugs before, now i can't help but wonder how long this one will last, cos' they all tend to be very short-lived for wiring/contact problems.

one of them which has set a haertbreaking record for me was a Monster, which merely lasted for 2 weeks before the connnecting plug wire went malfunctioned.

Um, wrong thread bro.  Try this one:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/647474/sennheiser-momentum-appreciation-thread

May 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #88 of 316
Quote:
Before March 2013 I used the JH13 Pro (original) for 3.5 years as my sole headphone. On average, I listened to them about 4 hours per day. Thats 5,110 hours or 213 days of using pretty much one headphone.

Yes, I've listened to the giants like the HD 800, T1 and LCD-2 (and SR-007 Mk2). None of them interested me enough to bother. I purchased the JH16 Pro about 5 months after the 13s, and sold them since I preferred the latter.

I recently picked up a W3000ANV and that will probably become my secondary headphone. I will sell the rest.

TL;DR:

One to rule them all: JH13 Pro

Superhero + sidekick: JH13 Pro + W3000ANV

I didn't own the two when I made this post, but now that I do and now that I actually have just these two headphones... I feel nothing but extreme affirmation of my decision.

I plan on living the theme of this thread for a while. I'm impressed that not everyone would choose CIEMs as a one-and-done.. perfect portability, top-shelf sound, and very little mugging factor. I'm sure miscreants/thieves would turn to Momentums, MDR-1Rs and even HD25-1 IIs before they'd ever take a second look towards some discrete customs.

May 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #90 of 316
I've got w3000anv and D7100

but only one : W1000X : fun and all rounder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back