What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
May 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #62 of 316
Quote:
Sony Qualia,but only if they came in white

I'd arrange that. 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #63 of 316
Hi Tyll Hertsens,

My iphone 5 is currently coupled with Vmoda m100, but I find Sennheiser Momentum really appealing.

Any suggestions as to whether I should make a switch?

Thanks.

May 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #64 of 316
I was thinking about this yesterday...
Could easily get by with just the Koss Pro DJ 100 (I have the TB version). It's more fun to listen to than any of my other headphones.
This is with pad upgrades and my Micro Amp/Modi which makes it kind of an expensive setup for such a cheap headphone.

For two it would be the Q701 and DJ100. Q701 sounds worse, but I need an open headphone.

If I had no amps at all I'd have to say the HD-598. Maybe the ATH-AD2000 if it wasn't for those crappy pads!

May 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #65 of 316
I'm really surprised that more people aren't concerned with phone headsets. For me that's mandatory, I expected it to be an almost universal requirement by now.

(Love the Momentum, but not if your head or ears are big.)

May 10, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #66 of 316
Quote:
They're good, but not that good for an all-rounder. I absolutely love mine and feel like they sound better with better amping and a source, but not having isolation kinda sucks. I can't imagine wearing these in the noisy city for example.
Regarding your comparison to the hd580, do you mean in terms of sound signature?

i understand the want for blocking outside sound when using portables. i have a pair of IE8s when i want to shun the world. but lately i have been going for walks in the city (i live in singapore) and i actually find it rather refreshing to have a soundtrack to the city. yesterday i was sitting by the river that runs through the center of the city, listening to the inception ost on my px100-ii with the water gently parting for the travelling boats... surreal.

as for comparisons to my hd580s... i would say they sound about 95% as good. the only issue becomes prolonged use, as the hd580s are obviously more comfortable. sound signature wise, the px100-ii are a bit more upfront where as the hd580s are much more spacial... again probably due to the design and distance that the driver is from my ear. tone wise they are very similar, with base impact a bit more on the px100-ii, while base quality is better on the hd580s, from the sound of my ears. oh, and separation is better on the hd580s, but still pretty decent on the px100-ii.

May 10, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #67 of 316
Quote:

i understand the want for blocking outside sound when using portables. i have a pair of IE8s when i want to shun the world. but lately i have been going for walks in the city (i live in singapore) and i actually find it rather refreshing to have a soundtrack to the city. yesterday i was sitting by the river that runs through the center of the city, listening to the inception ost on my px100-ii with the water gently parting for the travelling boats... surreal.

Agreed in that both my K422 and HD 238 allow me to experience this phenomena... which I must admit is quite nice as it's like having a soundtrack for your daily life.  But I have two words for you:  crying babies.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

May 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #69 of 316
I'm really surprised that more people aren't concerned with phone headsets. For me that's mandatory, I expected it to be an almost universal requirement by now.

(Love the Momentum, but not if your head or ears are big.)

Well, for my part if I'm listening to music on my phone then I put it into flight mode as I don't want to be interrupted. So the phone functions of the headphones are pretty irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Going onto the Momentum. I've read your review and it would appear that you heap praise on these more than any other headphone I've seen you review, however I'm concerned about the potentially dark presentation. Currently I'm running HD25-1 ii as my portable set, which while fast, detailed, and relatively neutral, don't sound particularly cohesive in that the lower midrange is recessed, sometimes leaving me with the impression that there's the bass, a gap, and then everything else. The Amperiors, from what I gather, tidy up the rough edges in the HD25 sound, but don't alter the sound signature so this means that the Amperiors wouldn't give me what I'm looking for.

So, everything points to the Momentum being the ideal for my portable use. However the bass from the HD25s is getting towards the limit of what I can take comfortably, and from what I understand the Momentums are bass heavy in comparison to the HD25 and Amperior, meaning one thing gets fixed (lower midrange) but something else gets broken (too much bass). I won't have the chance to demo them as it appears they're an Apple exclusive here in Switzerland so it'll be like throwing 400 bucks on the fire if I don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, I find the HD25s to be a thoroughly enjoyable pair of cans, and I think I'm just being hypercritical these days and always looking for the next thing.

Oh, and back on topic, If I where to have only one set of headphones then it would be the HD25 as I can overlook their minor faults in return for the fact that they are all but unbreakable.

May 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #70 of 316
Quote:

Agreed in that both my K422 and HD 238 allow me to experience this phenomena... which I must admit is quite nice as it's like having a soundtrack for your daily life.  But I have two words for you:  crying babies.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

indeed! another two come to mind: jet engines. I suppose that having to choose one headphone for all applications is rather difficult. maybe the only solution is apple earbuds :p

May 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #71 of 316
Quote:
Quote:

indeed! another two come to mind: jet engines. I suppose that having to choose one headphone for all applications is rather difficult. maybe the only solution is apple earbuds :p

Excuse me, Ima go shoot myself.

May 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #72 of 316
I always thought it is a good idea to have only one headphone. Looking at members who have 10+ phones makes me wonder if they really listen to them. People say they need different phones for different genre...well, to a certain extent that is true, but how many of us have the time to listen to a host of genre. Classical fans tend to stick to their Mozart and Karajan and only rock once in a while, and would changing from Sennheiser to Beyerdynamic really make all the difference there is ?

I may be going overboard but looking back at my own experience, different phones crossed my path is more a factor of needing diversion more than anything to do with appreciation of music. I mean life is hard for many of us and we like some new toys now and then to cheer us up. Plus, the fact that we are going through many phones may be an indication that we do not really know what we are looking for, our priorties. Once we are clear about that and found the right kind / brand of sound, there is no need to hoard an arsenal of headphones.

If I am allowed to have only one headphone at my disposal, I would keep the AKG K 550.

May 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #73 of 316
If one, then the TDK IE800. If two, than the MX980 for home use and the TDK for portable.

May 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #74 of 316
Quote:
Well, for my part if I'm listening to music on my phone then I put it into flight mode as I don't want to be interrupted. So the phone functions of the headphones are pretty irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Going onto the Momentum. I've read your review and it would appear that you heap praise on these more than any other headphone I've seen you review, however I'm concerned about the potentially dark presentation. Currently I'm running HD25-1 ii as my portable set, which while fast, detailed, and relatively neutral, don't sound particularly cohesive in that the lower midrange is recessed, sometimes leaving me with the impression that there's the bass, a gap, and then everything else. The Amperiors, from what I gather, tidy up the rough edges in the HD25 sound, but don't alter the sound signature so this means that the Amperiors wouldn't give me what I'm looking for.

So, everything points to the Momentum being the ideal for my portable use. However the bass from the HD25s is getting towards the limit of what I can take comfortably, and from what I understand the Momentums are bass heavy in comparison to the HD25 and Amperior, meaning one thing gets fixed (lower midrange) but something else gets broken (too much bass). I won't have the chance to demo them as it appears they're an Apple exclusive here in Switzerland so it'll be like throwing 400 bucks on the fire if I don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, I find the HD25s to be a thoroughly enjoyable pair of cans, and I think I'm just being hypercritical these days and always looking for the next thing.

Oh, and back on topic, If I where to have only one set of headphones then it would be the HD25 as I can overlook their minor faults in return for the fact that they are all but unbreakable.

After reading that same review and then actually hearing them for just a few minutes at a meet last weekend, I pulled the trigger on a used pair of Momentums. Should have them on Saturday. 
size]

May 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #75 of 316
Quote:
I always thought it is a good idea to have only one headphone. Looking at members who have 10+ phones makes me wonder if they really listen to them. People say they need different phones for different genre...well, to a certain extent that is true, but how many of us have the time to listen to a host of genre. Classical fans tend to stick to their Mozart and Karajan and only rock once in a while, and would changing from Sennheiser to Beyerdynamic really make all the difference there is ?

I may be going overboard but looking back at my own experience, different phones crossed my path is more a factor of needing diversion more than anything to do with appreciation of music. I mean life is hard for many of us and we like some new toys now and then to cheer us up. Plus, the fact that we are going through many phones may be an indication that we do not really know what we are looking for, our priorties. Once we are clear about that and found the right kind / brand of sound, there is no need to hoard an arsenal of headphones.

If I am allowed to have only one headphone at my disposal, I would keep the AKG K 550.

Genre dictating the choice of headphones is one way to choose. I feel that activity and application is another. If I were to do sound editing (which I do for new media projects) I would want to use a different can for when I am in the gym, or when I was out-and-about in the city. Your choice of the K550s for instance, I would never use out in the city because Singapore is +30 degrees centigrade all day and all night every day of the year. I would use those headphones for listing at home, however, or playing games. Due to activity and application I find a need for multiple headphones. This is why no one headphone is perfect for any and every application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back