What IEM to get? SoundMagic PL50/Brainwavs M1/Grado iGi/Meelec m9
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mokies

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just need some suggestions on what IEMs should I buy? Maybe a big upgrade from Philips SHE9701. I'm not that basshead and I prefer a much more detailed ones (punchy bass, warm mids, bright/crisp highs). And also, IEMs that I can match up with FiiO E5.

I'm looking at Brainwavs M1 right now, but still needs some suggestions if it's worth to get.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 7
You should try the M2s. I haven't personally heard them, but them seem to match the PL50s. They also have better build quality and a nicer cable. However, if you are buying these, you have to take care because their cables don't seem to fare well.

Are you sure you want to use the Fiio E5? It hisses quite a bit, and the bass isn't very punch. Effects you can obtained from the E5 you can reproduce using an equiliser, unless you need additional power (e.g. the volume limited players from the UK).

What is your price range?

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi guys,

I just need some suggestions on what IEMs should I buy? Maybe a big upgrade from Philips SHE9701. I'm not that basshead and I prefer a much more detailed ones (punchy bass, warm mids, bright/crisp highs). And also, IEMs that I can match up with FiiO E5.

I'm looking at Brainwavs M1 right now, but still needs some suggestions if it's worth to get.

The M1s will give you decent details (in the mids), bass punch, and warm mids you want.  However, you won't get the crisp/bright highs out of it.  Just letting you know.  I haven't heard the M2s.  The M3s have the punchy bass, sacrifice some warmness for better details, and have bright and crisp highs. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
You should try the M2s. I haven't personally heard them, but them seem to match the PL50s. They also have better build quality and a nicer cable. However, if you are buying these, you have to take care because their cables don't seem to fare well.

Are you sure you want to use the Fiio E5? It hisses quite a bit, and the bass isn't very punch. Effects you can obtained from the E5 you can reproduce using an equiliser, unless you need additional power (e.g. the volume limited players from the UK).

What is your price range?

For the price, maybe between $50-$100. I use my PSP as my source so i needed some amp, E5 comes in. Yes, there's some hiss when I try to max out the volume but I don't take it too much as I don't raise the volume that high.

Quote:
The M1s will give you decent details (in the mids), bass punch, and warm mids you want.  However, you won't get the crisp/bright highs out of it.  Just letting you know.  I haven't heard the M2s.  The M3s have the punchy bass, sacrifice some warmness for better details, and have bright and crisp highs. 

I don't like too much bass, i wanted contrasted details like I never heard them before.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 7
If you save a bit more, you can get the B2s, which should very much satisfy all your needs.
If you listen at lower volumes, the UE700s should suffice.
When there is a sale somewhere, TF10s will most likely be the best choice.

Again, I suggest the M2s or PL50s if you're in the $40-$60 price range.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
If you save a bit more, you can get the B2s, which should very much satisfy all your needs.
If you listen at lower volumes, the UE700s should suffice.
When there is a sale somewhere, TF10s will most likely be the best choice.

Again, I suggest the M2s or PL50s if you're in the $40-$60 price range.

Thanks. I might go for PL50s.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Just a word of warning: they break quite easily.
And also, the red side, I'm not sure if its red. I never figured how to wear them properly.
On the other hand, they're quite fun to listen to. =)

Quote:
Thanks. I might go for PL50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back