What high end AT cans are you currently using?
Jun 22, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #47 of 158
There is no AD1000 !!!!!
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #49 of 158
A900 owner here
biggrin.gif
. man, the W11JPN looks very nice!!!!
attachment.php

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #52 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Bump from the grave. I know in addition to myself there's at least one other nutcase who has recently discovered the joys of the AT woodies.

And I'm actively seeking out the ATH-W10LTD, ATH-W11JPN and ATH-W11R. Dunno why, but the W100 doesn't appeal to me - maybe it's the blonde color of the wood? Also the W1000 never gripped me either...

I happily accept the title of AT nutcase and will wear it proudly in my search for the ultimate wood.
3000smile.gif

If the shade of wood used on the W100 isn't your cup of tea then you can probably just stop searching for the W10LTD's now and leave those to this nutcase considering they appear to be the same shade or even more blonde than the W100's.
tongue.gif

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/...eup/index.html

I'm going to have to take some nice 3-5 mp shots of the W100's and post them. I really don't find them to be blonde in person but rather a rich and lush shade that you would normally find with teak or oiled mahogany.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #53 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
Contemplating upgrading to a set of W100s, but I really want to try and find a pair of the older ones first.

Why are you specifically looking for "older" W100's and how would you know their manufacture date if you were to find them? Is there a way to determine an "older" pair from one that came off the assembly line near the end?

From my understanding, through other knowledgable head-fiers, it seems as though the one's in demand the most right now are the newer models, especially the NOS pairs found in England recently, because of the bonus of having the warranty.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #54 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
If the shade of wood used on the W100 isn't your cup of tea then you can probably just stop searching for the W10LTD's now and leave those to this nutcase considering they appear to be the same shade or even more blonde than the W100's.
tongue.gif

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/...eup/index.html

I'm going to have to take some nice 3-5 mp shots of the W100's and post them. I really don't find them to be blonde in person but rather a rich and lush shade that you would normally find with teak or oiled mahogany.

Definitely post your woody p-r0n! The picts are deceptive, when it comes to the colour of the wood. Also the shape is misleading too - the VTG look totally spherical in the picts on the webpage, but I definitely find the W100 to be more circular.

ATH-W10VTG
9743ath-w10vtg6.jpg

I saw a used W100 for sale in Akihabara the other day... but the condition just depressed me and wanted to make me cry. Who'd fail to take care of their woody?!?

What's depressing is that there's bound to be a L3000 successor in a year or two. What is it, limited run of 500 units? I think I bought numbers 372-376...

Best,

-Jason

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #57 of 158
Quote:

Matey, where's yer avatar from? Post the whole pict!

Best,

-Jason

That is the picture i grabbed from the internet,and i did some adding an AD1000 on it.

The girl's name is Misuzu Kamio from the Japanese animation/game "AIR".

The modified version :

Here

The original version :

Here

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #58 of 158
By older i meant like the WT10VTG/JPN/etc. Although a nice pair of used W100s could be nice too with their burn-in.

And the audiocubes deal isn't all that great, $20 off W1000s brings them down to like $439, still a bit more expensive than the $379 or something for the W1000s from bluetin.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #59 of 158
Quote:

What's really sad is that I'm very close to buying another pair of ATH-EW9. And I called these the worst headphone I've owned!!

Jason, care to elaborate on why you're about to buy the ATH-EW9 again? I read your thread on calling them the worst headphones you had.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting them myself. I've read that amping the EW9 cures most of the complaints people have about them.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #60 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Do it Jason. You know you want to be the first Green Hornet on the forum.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh man, for the price of one of those babies, you can get a new regular L3000, used W2002 and W10VTG!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
That is the picture i grabbed from the internet,and i did some adding an AD1000 on it.

That is an impressive addition. How did you get the AD1000 to get the anime look? Did you start off with a photo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Jason, care to elaborate on why you're about to buy the ATH-EW9 again?

Honestly, it has more to do with regreting selling any of my cans than it does the sound quality of the EW9. I think Erikzen can give more insight into whether amping helps.

I did try the Koss clip-ons (I think it was the 35's) and found they fit a lot more snug to the ear than the EW9, and didn't have any problems with the bass at all!

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back