What Headphones will block the TV sound in the next room?
Aug 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
My bedroom is right next to the living room.  But I like keeping my door open.  The people watch too much freakin tv and it drives me nuts.

What good sounding headphones would block out this sound at this distance?  Even when I'm not listening to anything.

looking for $200+/-

I listen to aggressive music.  currently have DT 990's and ATH-ad700, love them but willing to sell them both for background silence.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 9
You're looking for a closed back headphone, or a pair of IEMs, neither of which I have much experience in. However, that is the direction in which you need to go.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Are you listening to stuff while lying in bed?  You might want to go an IEM or good earbud then.  Otherwise, yeah, go with a good closed headphone.

It's not like it's impossible to listen to full size cans while lying down though.  I actually use my LCD-2's mostly while I'm lying around in bed, but that might be uncomfortable for others.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Mostly while sitting at the computer.  Good idea on the IEM's I'll keep those in mind, would be great for bed listening.

For this looking for full size.  How do you GMP 8.35 sound?  are they comfy?

What do you guys think about the Denon D2000, how is the isolation?

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 9
From my limited listening with D2000's (at meets only), they weren't the best for isolation, but their sound signature helped swallow outside noise a little.  Never owned them, so take that with a massive grain of salt.  I think the ATH-Axxx line is a little better at keeping outside noises out.  Some of the AT portables (ESW9, M50, etc) might be possibilities too.

While listening on a computer, I've usually liked longer cords.  Mostly because if I look around or swivel my chair, I won't pull the cord badly.  I remember sending my portable amp flying across part of my cubicle when I had UM1's plugged into them and a coworker tried to get my attention.  Course you could always get an extension cable or something if you decide to go with something like IEMs that have shorter cables.  Personally, I prefer full size or earbuds for listening at the computer, since I feel it's easier for me to put on and take off if I have to do something.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 9
 Perhaps Sony MDR-7506?
 I don't think this is a good headphone but they do isolate.

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Mostly while sitting at the computer.  Good idea on the IEM's I'll keep those in mind, would be great for bed listening.

For this looking for full size.  How do you GMP 8.35 sound?  are they comfy?

What do you guys think about the Denon D2000, how is the isolation?

They are very comfy, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 9
If there's a lot of bass coming from next door, a set of headphones may not be enough to prevent you from feeling the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back