What headphones should i pick?
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ismaz

New Head-Fier
Hi headfiers, im considering buy other pair of headphones, i have a HD429 from Sennheiser and i`d like to upgrade.

I am DJ and i need powerful bass but not muddy or overpowered(unbalanced) and clear mids and highs

I have these options:
V Moda crossfade LP $99 on amazon
Audio Technica ath-m50 about $130
ath -pro700 mk2 $178
Sennheiser hd205-ii $53
hd215 $140

Which of these should I pick? if you have better suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!
(sorry for my bad english im learning :D )

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 17
Sennheiser hd205-ii $53
hd215 $140

I've heard the 429 and the above two might not be 'upgrades', the ath-m50 is an easy recommendation for a closed back portable.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi! 

For DJ, I would recommend the AKG K167. Tried them and it seems like I am the only one experiencing some unclean bass while others claims it clean. Probably because my audition unit didn't get enough burn-in as it's new that time. Overall, its a very good headphone for DJ. It has some forward highs. Mids are very detailed, smooth and clean. Hope this help! 

Billson 
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 17
AKG K167.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 17
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 17
But i have one question: Do the earpad will cover all my ear?
I have a big ear!!(about 5 or 6 cm)

Interesting! I have almost the same size as yours! Anyway, it covers so-so... Just right I guess? I only put them on my head for less than 5min xD

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 17
For DJing, the KOSS TBSE1 (Tony Bennet version) is my top recommendation.

These are the same as the Koss DJ Pro's, but have a detachable cable and carrying case (and some cosmetic differences).
Why are these good DJ cans?

First, you don't want powerful bass in a headphone when spinning, you want a headphone with neutral bass. You want to hear what the crowd will hear out of the speakers. That way you can adjust the bass in the track as needed. Next, these cans have a mono/stereo switch. Listening to them in mono will play both channels of the track through one side of your headphone, so when you are listening with one ear, you won't miss anything. Also, these cans are real flexible, and you can easily slide one earcup off your ear and have them stay securly on your head. Having a detachable cable will allow you to buy a longer/shorter cable if you want, and if they get pulled on hard, the cable will come out instead of damaging the cord (something I do quiet a bit when I keep moving around). If the cable shorts out, you can buy a new one instead of replacing the entire headphone. Speaking of, Koss has a lifetime warranty on these. These are great for portability as they fit nicely into a flat (and smallish) carrying case. I'm sure this is important for a travveling DJ who has to carry a lot of stuff.

The mids are fantastic on these (a bit forward, which I like), and the bass is nice and punchy with decent highs. These normally go for around $70-$120, but can be found on sale right now for $50 (search threads on here for more info). The stock pads are a bit small, but you can (as I did) switch them for Audio Technica ATH-M50 pads, which are a bit bigger and sound better.

I'm sure there are other good options that I have not heard, but these cans are really great for DJing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back