What headphones do you use for travelling?
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 19
I just got a pair of hd25-1ii's and it feels nice knowing I can just throw them in my bag without worrying about them breaking. I thought that the sr225i I had sounded better, but they were just too uncomfortable. The sennheiser's have been on my wishlist for a while now, and I just ended up taking a longer path to get to them. :p

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Just tried my Edition 8s on a  plane- they worked surprisingly well.  But I put them back in their fuzzy bag after not too long, I'm always afraid of damaging them.  Went back to SE535, my out & about earphone.  Monster coppers are my beaters if I'm being chased by dogs/raccoons.

Is this a common occurrence?

I just got a pair of hd25-1ii's and it feels nice knowing I can just throw them in my bag without worrying about them breaking. I thought that the sr225i I had sounded better, but they were just too uncomfortable. The sennheiser's have been on my wishlist for a while now, and I just ended up taking a longer path to get to them. :p

Comfort and durability can be underrated, particularly in portables, where fashion often plays a role. It's evidently tempting to manufacturers to sacrifice one or both of these qualities to achieve a certain aesthetic. To me, though, durability and comfort are quite high on the pecking order. I'd even be inclined to sacrifice some sound quality if the alternative is something that's prone to breakage and/or very uncomfortable.

So far I've had good luck with my SRH440 because, while certainly not the pinnacle of build quality, it's tough enough to have survived over two years of almost daily use, while frequently getting tossed in a bookbag along with my (behemoth and heavy) laptop. Also, while it had some comfort issues initially, a few simple modifications have made it very comfortable. If either (or both) of these areas had been insurmountable concerns, despite how much I enjoy listening to them they would have been boxed up and returned. That's ultimately the fate my own SR225i met, though comfort wasn't the only consideration in that decision.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 19
For me, its Denon D600 for long travels. Yes they look big, but the easily detachable and storable cables, ability to sound good out of a portable amp such as govibe magnum, and comfort factor really win me over. Noise isolation and very little sound leakage also play a big role.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 19
Bose QC-15 when flying or on noisy buses (not very often), otherwise V-MODA M100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back