What Headphone Is Good For $0-$170
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JamesDaFreak

New Head-Fier
What Headphones Are Good?
Budget : $0-$170
Listening Genre : Pop, R&B, Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock (Alternative)....
Type : Anykind Of Headphone Or Earphone, Closed, Open, Earphone, Anything That Is Good
Want : Good Bass, Good Mids, Good Highs, Equal Sound!
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Thx ^^
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
:L3 000:
L3000.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 22
You've overwhelmed us with information. :p
Go to local store, check some different expensive headphones, think of what you (dis)like in each model and write us here. There are no best headphones in 0-170$ price range.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado MS1 or RS1 is a pretty good headphone that lots of people start headfi with.
They're really good for rock and roll, very forward and in your face. Might be a little harsh though.

What? Please find me a RS1 for 170 USD...

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado 225i. Tell us how you like them.

I Haven't Tried Lots Of Headphone Yet, I've Only Tried : Bose, Beats By Dr. Dre, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Creative, Logitech (Not Ultimate Ears), and Razer,

I Was Hopping Someday To Try Grado, Because I Heard It Was Excellent Brand Of Headphone,

So Anyways , I Need Headphone That Is Well Balanced, Good In Bass, And Good In Highs And Mids.... I Was Actually Pretty Curious About HD555, Is It Good??

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 22
IMO the best you can get for such a price would be a sennheiser. I'll get slammed for this, but the Grado 225i is not as good as the Senn HD580/600. You can land yourself a set of 580s here im told for around that price.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 22
I recently bought the HD555 and to me they sound fantastic through my amped source: good bass and a big soundstage. With a weaker source like an Ipod it still sounds OK. I listen mostly to heavy metal and hard rock.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought the HD555 and to me they sound fantastic through my amped source: good bass and a big soundstage. With a weaker source like an Ipod it still sounds OK. I listen mostly to heavy metal and hard rock.

Well, Actually I'm Still Confused What To Buy.... Because I Heard That HD555s Are Great, But I Really Want To Try Other Brands Of Headphones, Probably With Noise Cancelling Would Add As A Nice Extra!!
dt880smile.png
o2smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 22
I don't consider myself a "Grado guy", but I'm going to add another recommendation to the Alessandro MS1.

I just bought a pair and they should be at my house today or tomorrow. I bought them because by all reports they are much like the extremely good for the price SR80, but not so forward and less fatiguing.

Listening fatigue is my single biggest complaint with my SR60's.

The entry level Grado/Alessandro cans represent an outstanding value, and you don't need to spend more money on a dedicated headphone amp. But diminishing returns hit's very hard as you go up the Grado ladder. I personally was hard pressed to hear any significant audible difference between the SR60 and SR225. And those Grado bowl pads are a nightmare. The comfies that come on the SR60 and MS1 are great though and there is always the option of the Sennheiser HD414 pad.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado 225i. Tell us how you like them.

Weren't those $200 new?

From what I've heard and read, you'll probably want an open headphone, as they apparantly sound better than closed ones in your pricerange. Likewise, you can get a Sennheiser 580 for $150 or so used, but you'll probably want an amp to go with it. Also, for many headphones your source (DAC? CD player? iPod?) will have to be up to par.
---

You will likely find This topic helpful.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 22
AKG K240 Sextett. Give one a try...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back