What has more bass than the HD-650 / Less sibilant than the Beyers?
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 48
You could always get Woodies for the HD650, making them closed cans. *shrug*

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 48
Have you tried running the beyers from a 100 ohm output impedance amp?

I heard in another thread that the Dre Beats are pretty good. Perhaps you should try them.

Quote:
You could always get Woodies for the HD650, making them closed cans. *shrug*

My experience with woodied HD650 turned them from HD650 into a sibilant HD650. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 48
The HD-650 is the perfect headphone except for the lack of bass.
It's really good, but I'm a semi-basshead.
I think the DT-770 premium (non-pro) is the perfect amount of bass, but too sibilant, lacking mids.

This is why I own the DT-880s.

I don't need Dre Beats. 
I have XB-700s, which satisfies bass cravings. 

As far as the 100Ω amp, no I haven't tried that.
Would that bring out more mids and taper off the treble on my Beyers?

Whether I run my headphones thru my soundcard (amp built in) or my FiiO, the sound is the same.
Is it different with the magical 100Ω amp?

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 48
couldn't EQ the HD650 or get a warm and bassy amp for them?

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 48

Quote:
couldn't EQ the HD650 or get a warm and bassy amp for them?

Yeah, that's a good point...a Fiio E5 isn't gonna cut it when trying to drive the 650's.  I have all the bass I could ever want with the Woo and the right tube combo.  Articulate, deep, and punchy with a 5998, slamming powerful bass with a 7236.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 48
I owned the HD-650 in 2005 or 2006. 
I used a Meier Corda with it, so there was plenty of power. 

Look, just accept that my ears are bass heavy vs. your "neutral" ears. 
I'm not asking for the "correct" headphones.
I'm asking for bassier headphones relative to most people's idea of "neutral."

I could EQ them enough, but my EQ looked ridiculous. 
I have mp3gain on everything, but when you EQ it distorts above the 0 line.
It wasn't practical in the end. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 48
rolleyes.gif
 Whatever...I'm out.  Enjoy your Beats.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 48
If you EQ the bass up so much that it distorts, try going the other route. Instead EQ the mids and treble down, which gives you a defacto bass increase. And since you're reducing instead of adding, there should not be any distortion.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 48
I'm not a noob.  I already said I used mp3gain.  Let me explain what that does.  mp3gain sets all your audio to play at roughly the same level.  I set mine to an average 89dB, so that turns the volume way down on everything most of the time.  If I EQ down even more through the equalizer, I can't get enough volume output on my devices, so what you're suggesting has 1. already been tried and 2. not satisfactory. 
Quote:
If you EQ the bass up so much that it distorts, try going the other route. Instead EQ the mids and treble down, which gives you a defacto bass increase. And since you're reducing instead of adding, there should not be any distortion.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 48
seriously the HeadRoom amps with the crossfeed on turn the HD650 into bassy beasts. i am sort of a recovering basshead myself and i find there to be just the right amount of bass with this combo. sure the xb series are still bassier, but in my opinion they sound like poop, the xb500 that is.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:
Goodbye, troll.
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
 Whatever...I'm out.  Enjoy your Beats.

Look, I'M not the one being a dick to every person that replies...you gave ZERO information in your OP, and when people suggest things to you, you get all attacky.  I had to go look at your profile to see what you had equipment-wise, and all I see is a Fiio...

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 48
I got angry at the end, but not any time prior to your "whatever, I'm out" response. 
I gave a reason why I don't need Beats. 
I corrected the assumption that I ran the HD-650 through an E5.

Because here's what's really going on.
You find it absolutely incredulous that someone could somehow dislike the HD-650 sound.
You're a Senn fanboy, I get it. 
And don't get me wrong, I think Senn makes a great headphone, but just lacks in the bass dept. 
And this thread is for people who are bassheads like me, not "neutral" obsessed people like you.

Quote:

Look, I'M not the one being a dick to every person that replies...you gave ZERO information in your OP, and when people suggest things to you, you get all attacky.  I had to go look at your profile to see what you had equipment-wise, and all I see is a Fiio...

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 48
You know nothing about me, so now you're just jumping to conclusions like I did when I made the Beats comment.  So, sorry about that. But, whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back