What has happened to Head-Fi?
Jan 30, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #76 of 94
I admire your courage, Joe. No matter how open the debate appears to be anywhere, there are conceits, prejudice, cronyism and old assumptions that color the conversations. If you like EQ, by god I'll support you. Send me that graphic, I'll join yuh!

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #77 of 94
You can't restrict newbies to the newbie forum, *that*'s for sure
eek.gif

If, say, Joe Lau registers for Head-Fi and he's restricted to the newbie forum, I'm sure he'd be pretty pissed
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

And if you really set up a newbie forum, I think jude would have to assign the mods to 'newbie duty' shifts
evil_smiley.gif

Thank you cajun!
smily_headphones1.gif
Here's the jpg in the attachment--but I suppose it will be the same if you just right click my avatar and 'same picture as...'
confused.gif

Up with Team EQ!
biggrin.gif
We need more members
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

jude said...

You're too active a member to lose you, man! Oh, wait a sec.....saying that is probably not a good idea at this time.....I mean, you're hardly ever here because you're such a dedicated student.
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I'm not going to try and ban myself to improve my studying habits. I have those fits of sanity every once-in-a-while, but they pass quickly enough.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #80 of 94
lol mbriant
tongue.gif

Now, here's a thought...

It might involve some additional coding, but... how about (and... yes, it'd be more work for mods.. but... just an idea) not allowing new people to post in the main forums for say 5-10 votes, but channeling them onto the thread queuing system...

That way, we as mods can either search for them, and send them the search results... or, if the thread looks to be relatively uncovered, then forward it onto the main board, sending the 'newbie' a link?

just a thought...

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #81 of 94
Duncan, that's a reasonable idea, I think.

But I don't know if I'm crazy about the idea of newbie forums. It seems a bit elitist, not something, I think, that will encourage people to participate. I find many newbies make striking discoveries and contribute in productive and new ways to the forums, making the community richer in many ways. Also, I find that reading a veteran's post on a newbie question changes as the veteran's perspective on his own knowledge changes. It is interesting to see people grow in their understanding, even veterans.

I agree that it would be nice if people educated themselves on the forum and the information a little before they dove in with questions...maybe something like Duncan's idea would work for this?

And I have to say that I don't entirely agree with the idea that there is now a stable community and no really new information out there. There are new products, new music, new ideas, and new presentations of old ideas. Personally, I find the "what's the best pcdp for $100 interesting when it comes up every few months because I like to check out what's new that I might have missed, what people are trying these days, and so on. But in the words of the dude, "that's just like, you know, your opinion man."

Jan 31, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #82 of 94
TEAM EQ????

Why not. The primary objective is MUSIC. If it sounds better TO YOUR EARS with active or passive EQ, IT SOUNDS BETTER.

I am sure that no 2 of us will ever hear something exactly the same way. Heck, I frequently, mostly, hear differently every time I play a recording.

Why am I listening at the time? Is it background for doing paperwork on the computer? Am I doing 85MPH down I-95? Am I sitting in the living room just absorbing music through the big system?

And on and on and on. The important thing is, WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME AT THE TIME.

So, EQ away guys. To be honest, I've thought about it myself, just don't happen to have a decent EQ unit. Add to the list.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #83 of 94
Actually, peeps, I've been posting less because I'm gettin ready to take the SATs for admission into IMSA. IMSA is a state-run public school that has high academic standards - Harvard, Stanford, and U of C in I all recruit people DIRECTLY from the high school.......senior electives include human anatomy and physiology (!) and C++.....

Helluva school.......

Anyway.........

Jan 31, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Actually, peeps, I've been posting less because I'm gettin ready to take the SATs for admission into IMSA. IMSA is a state-run public school that has high academic standards - Harvard, Stanford, and U of C in I all recruit people DIRECTLY from the high school.......senior electives include human anatomy and physiology (!) and C++.....

Helluva school.......

Anyway.........

Hey, coolvij, good luck!!!

[size=xx-small]<-- IMSA alum
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #85 of 94
wo0ot!?!?!

MacDEF!?!?

Wow...........well, thanx for your wishes......

Jan 31, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #86 of 94
Well, it was quite a while ago, coolvij
biggrin.gif

But seriously, good luck on the SAT! I remember taking that for IMSA -- I didn't realize they're still making applicants take it.

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #90 of 94
Good luck, coolvij...........I'm sure you'll do just fine. Can you bring your headphones into the testing room? Maybe you can have that added to your IEP (Individual Educational Profile). In NY, certain students have Testing Modification IEPs, such as "needs extra time for test", "must have test read to him/her", "separate testing area", "unlimited testing time." Yours could be: "needs headphones to perform to maximum potential".........just a thought.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back