What has happened to Head-Fi?
Jan 28, 2002 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
I was away for a couple of days and just checked out most of the new posts. I found things like "Well, I just got Time out, by Brubeck. I'm listening with my hd580s, and I hear a hiss! I tried a friend's copy. Same thing. Are my hd580s toooo good?" or "A question: if the recording has hiss, why make an HDCD out of it? I mean, the music is AWESOME. But its like saying, this is high quality hiss!". Are people trying to take the piss out? I don't get it. I thought people wanted the original recordings warts and all? My SACD of "Kind Of Blue" has hiss but that's because it's in the recording.

Also, two threads on falling asleep wearing headphones. At least 4 or 5 10 page threads on what is or isn't natural or AKG bass, and those graphs? What happened to our ears? What is going on in here? When Jude started Head-Fi, it was like a group of serious listening university grads or professors discussing good headphones and sound and providing great opinions and advice. Now it seems we're gradually regressing back to kindergarten.

I realize there are new people coming on board all the time but what happened to the great info sharing we used to do? Where is thomas and darth nut? Maybe it's just me, but I find it increasingly more difficult to sift through it all?

If it is me, just tell me. Maybe we've covered everything and the cycle is just re-starting.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 94
Although I am new here, I agree with most of what you said Beagle. The only thing I disagree about is my post about falling asleep while wearing headphones. This is one of the best uses for headphones, that I may get a good nights rest without disturbing others if I can't seem to fall asleep in my room with the speakers going... I thought that it would be a good experience to share with others and to find out if others felt the same way. I don't see anything kindergartenish about that.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 94
Dear Beagle---

Buck up l'il camper! Even after my savage reaming in the unfortunate Philips 890 affair, I find this site continually interesting and useful. Just some examples: all the thoughtful commentary on the Sony V6s convinced me to try them despite my initial negative audition, and I now love the phones and view them as an excellent purchase.

Similarly, Thomas answered my question on the HD497 impedance question and resolved all the mysteries I perceived regarding the odd performance of these phones.

To sum up, I think there's lots of useful processes going on here, and I think the best info on headphones and sound can still be found on this site. Sure the occasional query may strike the hardcore vets as frivolous, but a new generation of headphone enthusiasts needs to be weaned somehow!
wink.gif

I am not certain how the old Headfi used to be, but please bear with us for a bit Beagle and maybe we can broing some of the old magic back over time!

smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I too love Kind Of Blue, hiss and all!
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 94
I half agree with you beagle...

The hiss thread (haven't seen it myself?) maybe the first time some people do hear hiss is with the likes of Hi-End Senns, but... thats because there frequency response is wide open, compared to the normal, cheaper, restricted 'phones that people not in the know use?!?

The going to sleep thread in General... I think that it has validity, it (to me) shows that some of us here (myself included) are so at one with our phones that they help us to snooze... Thats gotta be a good thing at the end of the day? think about your favourite clothes... they've gotta be the ones that you feel most comfortable in... same applies?

Then, on the flipside, there are some pretty *ahem* useless threads out there... but, thats just part and parcel of this site growing up I think... nothing fundamentally wrong with them, its just that us 'old timers' aren't used to them... maybe WE as the forefathers to this site should learn to adapt to a newer way of thinking?

I don't know in honesty Beagle, Maybe you agree with me, maybe you don't? - but that is MY play on things
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 94
beagle,
all the serious discussions were moved to the secret private forums. if you didn't get a password, there's probably a reason.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 94
Quote:

At least 4 or 5 10 page threads on what is or isn't natural or AKG bass, and those graphs?

Maybe if moderators would close threads that got too long or repetitious?
wink.gif

Oh wait, it's two moderators that want to keep it going.
rolleyes.gif

The thread is long enough that it could be its own forum!

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 94
I myself listen to my phones every night before falling asleep, but I stop when I feel sleeply so I can turn off my Grado amp. Otherwise I waste 8 hours of battery time, and you only get about 50 hours to a set of 2 9v batteries. I just found it odd if someone wakes up in the morning wearing the HD600 (OUCH!) or they are prone to tossing and turning and get entangled in the cord, ripping it from the amp/player and causing damage.

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 94
That's what happens when a forum gets too popular, as the site continues to expand, new people start to come in and old people would eventually fade out, I use to post like 5 or 6 messages here daily, now I don't, same thing happening to coolvij and neruda, we see that they're posting significantly less now. I guess head-fi is slowly falling into the trend of headwize, where more and more headphone newbies would come and continuously ask questions that's already been answered, it takes time to become knowledgable in this field, so as time passes the people here will be more sophisticated. Also it's natural to get a little excited when you first join a forum, a person would get a little gusto and start posting stuff like "hissing in recodings" or "sleeping with headphones". I'm not saying that they are not interesting topics, but for head-fi maniacs like you would consider these as "kindergarten threads" So, basically, nothing unusual has happened here in head-fi, it's only a normal circulation of the internet, and we should be happy for Jude for this kind of popularity.

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
Perhaps we need a new site for the oldtimers, Head-Fart
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, I kind of like the sound of that, how 'bout you, Joe?
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 94
shifter - lol!
biggrin.gif

Beagle - I don't have a problem with that as I sleep on my back and hardly ever move around while sleeping. If I'm asleep, I'm usually passed out really deep. I clearly see your point though. Not such a good idea for bed crawlers, heh.

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Hmmm, I kind of like the sound of that, how 'bout you, Joe?

You talkin' to me?
wink.gif

Geez......I just noticed that this thread has evolved into the "sleeping with headphones" thread.
redface.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 94
Audio Asylum. HeadWize. Head-Fi.

This happens as a forum becomes more popular. Yes, more activity means being more selective about where you decide to reply, especially if you don't have too much free time in your day. But it also means the hobby is growing (ergo, a constant influx of newbies). And that means that cool things can happen to meet that growing market -- like a hi-fi powerhouse like Cardas coming up with a headphone cable for the Sennheiser HD-580/600, not to mention a new 1/4" headphone plug; like Mark Levinson (the man) coming out with a headphone amp (through Red Rose), which reminds me I still have to get an update on that; like HeadRoom and Meier Audio continuing to innovate; like Antique Sound Labs coming directly to its customers and prospective customers through Head-Fi to see what we think of product ideas; etc.

Go to Audio Asylum and look at the Cable Forum, which is a relatively busy one over there -- start scrolling back through older posts. See how many questions you have that are repeated over time -- what kind of cables do you recommend for X dollars, etc. Their busier general forum will reveal even more repetitiveness. But this is just the way forums are. We're lucky to have some patient old-timers at Audio Asylum, HeadWize and Head-Fi willing to answer questions and point sincere newbies to the search feature and/or relevant historical threads.

Places like this grow the hobby -- they can also form friendships. I have only met a handful of you in person, but I talk to some of you regularly on the telephone, and many of you via instant chat programs.

Growing pains, Beagle. You're a long-time headphone hi-fi community member at both HeadWize and Head-Fi -- keep spreading your knowledge as well as your enthusiasm for the hobby. There will always be new things to discuss, but you may have to look more carefully to find them as the thread counts grow and grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back