What has happened to Head-Fi?
Jan 30, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #62 of 94
I guess they/we stop being newbies more or less the minute they/we learn to search....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #63 of 94
Well, as a newbie here's my two cents. I don't like FAQs. They usually evolve into a place to banish folks that are just getting interested in a subject. And many times the direction to get them there is less than kind. I learn a lot more from the interaction, even though some questions may be redundant. Mostly because, even though there is often a 'majority view', the real treat is in the alternatives that are presented.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #64 of 94
Quote:

...trying desperately to pull up my marks for university applications, so i haven't had time to post...

And i've blown every penny i have on audio equipment, and the more time i spend here, the more i want to buy! I realized that i have a great sound system, and need to spend more time enjoying it rather than talking about it
biggrin.gif

Actually, I also need to pull my marks up, I need an average of 80s-90s and I'm like barely getting 70s average, which is pretty bad. I just had a stupid math exam today and it was horrible. Well, I have 4 months. So I guess I should stop coming here. Ok, here's the deal, from now on no matter what I post or what thread I start (except once that involve with studies), you guys can't reply, so I'll get dissapointed at this forum and come here less and less, so that'll make me get my ass on studying.
biggrin.gif

And as for the suggestion, I think the newbie forum is a great idea, but come to think about it, would newbies actually READ the newbie forum? I don't really think so, so let's just make this thread a sticky, change the title to "Newbies come on in!" So the newbies would know how to use the search function and know how much we dislike newbies
very_evil_smiley.gif

So see you guys in June! I'm gonna stop paying my internet connection bills from now on.

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #65 of 94
One student/member actually wrote me once to ask me if I could ban him until he was done with finals. I wrote him to ask if he was serious. He replied that he was, but made it very clear that he wanted to be reinstated when he was done with his finals (he'd e-mail me to let me know when that was). So I banned him. He wrote me back excitedly to tell me that it worked. And guess what he ended up doing....he ended up posting on HeadWize anyway!
tongue.gif

Anyway, when his finals were over, he wrote me an e-mail to ask me to remove the ban.

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #66 of 94
I think there should be a thread in each forum titled "Post your questions here" in bold and always on top. That might help. Granted the page count would get large, but moderators could clear and archive them every 5 pages...

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #67 of 94
Quote:

So the newbies would know how to use the search function and know how much we dislike newbies

Hey, we were all newbies at one time.
I don't dislike newbies, just silly questions.
rolleyes.gif

Heck, some of the old timers here say (and do) things that make me shake my head or bite my tongue!
eek.gif

Now that I think about it more, a FAQ would be a better idea than a seperate forum.
Head-fi is a very friendly place and I think that a quarantine area for newbies is kind of rude.
Now thats just my 7.5 cents worth.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #68 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
One student/member actually wrote me once to ask me if I could ban him until he was done with finals. I wrote him to ask if he was serious. He replied that he was, but made it very clear that he wanted to be reinstated when he was done with his finals (he'd e-mail me to let me know when that was). So I banned him. He wrote me back excitedly to tell me that it worked. And guess what he ended up doing....he ended up posting on HeadWize anyway!
tongue.gif

Anyway, when his finals were over, he wrote me an e-mail to ask me to remove the ban.

LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you serious? So banning him is banning his membership so he can't post? Or he can't even access to the site. That's actually really funny.

Jan 30, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #69 of 94
Quote:

jude said...

One student/member actually wrote me once to ask me if I could ban him until he was done with finals.

That's actually not a half-bad idea, unfortunately. I'd hate to see an accurate accounting of how much time I spend on this site, as opposed to homework.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #70 of 94
Having a carefully moderated newbie section would be like having a Head-Fi 101. The title of the section could be "Newbie Forum (read the FAQ before entering!)" Subtitle could be 'a place to ask questions and get recommendations for your first adventures in hi-fi!'.

When people register, you could give them a message indicating that the Newbie Forum is a very carefully moderated and friendly place to start asking questions, and once they've got the bug and have more advanced questions, they can post on other forums. Junior Members would only be able to post on the Newbie Forum, regular Members and above can post anywhere, and anyone registered or not can read any forum.

We should think of an FAQ as a textbook, not a way to prevent newbies from posting questions. It should serve as a reference that can guide them to ask better questions rather than to prevent them from asking questions at all. It should pique their interest rather than dull it.

Jan 30, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #71 of 94
As much as I hate questions that could be answered 100 times over if the person simply did a search, I have to side with those who are against a "newbie" forum, for the reasons stated.

Also, while I personally love the idea of a FAQ, and I actually look for a FAQ on any new forum I join, and read it (*gasp*), the truth is that most people don't, and won't even if you tell them to. So, often, all the existence of a fact does is make "veteran" members pissed off that the rookies haven't read the FAQ
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #72 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by Odin
LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you serious? So banning him is banning his membership so he can't post? Or he can't even access to the site. That's actually really funny.

Yeah, Odin, I'm very serious. I didn't believe the guy either. I had to e-mail him again to ask if he was being serious.

There are a few different levels of banning. He wanted the full treatment -- so he wasn't allowed to browse or post. It would turn him away.

I actually banned him lightly the first time, and he wrote me to tell me that he could still get in but not post (I think that's how it happened). So I full-on banned him. He wrote me this funny message, all excited about how well the ban was working!

Then I see him on HeadWize! LOL!

Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

That's actually not a half-bad idea, unfortunately. I'd hate to see an accurate accounting of how much time I spend on this site, as opposed to homework.
rolleyes.gif

dhwilkin, don't you get any ideas!
tongue.gif

You're too active a member to lose you, man! Oh, wait a sec.....saying that is probably not a good idea at this time.....I mean, you're hardly ever here because you're such a dedicated student.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #73 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

HA! by the time I had 2,000 posts on Headwize the only decent thing I had was a pair of Grado SR80s! So you're already ahead of me!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Huh??
eek.gif
eek.gif

A whole lot of time we can spend talking about our rig, or about the rig we don't have, can'te we?
eek.gif
eek.gif

Well, don't ask me 'what has happened to Head-Fi', I don't even know what has just happened to me
eek.gif
I mean, ai0tron is gonna be completely freaked out by my new avatar and sig!
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

If it's against the rules or something, better tell me now and I'd have to change it
frown.gif
But it's not as if I'm advertising a product or anything
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #75 of 94
I was a "Newbie" once. Or maybe 20 or 30 times.

I wish I'd found this place sooner, because I almost certainly would not have bought the HD535/DSP360 combo from Audio Advisor. Oh well, it was only $120 + shipping.

I tend to regret bad deals and things I wish I hadn't bought, but I also remember that's past and nothing I can do about it.

We must adopt the idea that "Newbie" are very important. In order for high end/high quality HiFi of any kind, headphone or full home theater or 2 channel speaker based, to grow, to continue to improve we must continue to bring in new people.

I hope I didn't ask too many stupid questions. I hope people realized I was completely serious about my desire to get the "best" sound for the buck.

Welcome new people to the joys and frustrations of high quality headphone music. Either that or Headroom, Meier, and other small manufacturers/retailers will be gone and the big suppliers, Grado, Sennheiser, etc. will not be improving their products.

Hey new guy, we need you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back