What gifts are you getting for people this year?
Dec 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #16 of 40
christmas to me is aimed at kids, and so shops can clear the shelves.

i just get people small presents like a voucher or a toy. booo christmas

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 40
My shopping is pretty much done since Chanukah is starting in less than a week.

My brother is getting the "Ad Hoc at Home" cookbook. SIL is getting a P-Touch labeler and some brandy (infused by me, at her request - infused liquor is kind of a specialty of mine). Dad is getting some CDs. Mom is getting a nice serving platter that she mentioned liking at Williams-Sonoma. My nephew is getting some building blocks and a musical shaker toy (tambourine/jingly bells). Couple of extended family members may get a charitable donation made in their name.

If I have time I will probably make some homemade food gifts like chocolate truffles or banana bread or something.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 40
Mother - Fuze 4GB + RE0s
Father - Fuze 8GB + PortaPros
Girlfriend - Kenwood BM250 bread maker (yeah, she loves bread and cooking)
Friend 1 - PNY 4GB "Lovely Attaché" slim flash drive
Friend 2 - Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses / The Hollow Earth - Thom Yorke ltd. edition (8000) 12"

Me - Well, I'm getting AD700s and TF10vis
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 40
My Mum is getting tea, wine, and a Winners GC. My friends are just getting small assortments of stuff, ranging from cologne, to artbooks, to movies, and olive oil. Most of my friends and I are too poor to celebrate Christmas extensively, so it's usually small stuff. We just do birthdays and what not.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 40
Mom- Sony PRS-600 ereader. I could hear her drooling at the other end of the phone line when I told her about mine. Though I may have to hire a tutor for her with it
wink.gif

Dad- Harley magazine subscription & laptop
Brother- PS3
Wife- Don't know yet. Usually wait until a few days before Xmas. I'll know it when I see it.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 40
me and siblings are getting nothing each for each other, its agreed!

just get my mum some fragrance, step dad some posh stationary, the gf probs some ice skating boots/hand bag and maybe a lip piercing

no cards for anyone except gf this year

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #22 of 40
Friend - iPod Touch 3G (she's loving it, as an early present)

I'd like an e-Book reader, either the Kindle or a Nook (which happens to be sold out...)

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 40
Got my mom a gift certificate for a tea room, haven't got anything for my dad yet; maybe some Bordeaux futures or a new gadget for him to play with. My sister and her fiance are foodies so I'll probably pick them up a gift certificate for a favorite restaurant. I got my girlfriend a pair of Burberry heels for her bday/xmas present so luckily I don't have to buy her anything (Otherwise I'd be eating ramen for the rest of the year).

My entire family has their birthdays in the period between late October-November so the holiday season always cleans me out.
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 40
Off the top of my head: a quality ergonomic pillow for my mom, a USB recorder for one sister, Fitflops sandals for another sister, and lots of copies of Helen - "We Specialize In Cages" for my musically inclined friends. Excellent soundtrack for chillin', just soothing drum n' bass/alternative/nu-jazz.

HELEN-sleeve_out-FINAL-front-crop-s.jpg

Helen on Myspace
Helen on Facebook

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 40
I have some pretty standard gift exchanges with a few friends. Music or movies, comic books, used video games, that sort of thing.

I've got my portable rig up in the sale forum, but I've been considering making it a present as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my sister a book called 101 things for a housewife to do. was published in 1949 but a new reprinting.

Yeah, I've got an etiquette book around here that's sort of like that. A very interesting read.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 40
I'll get my dad some Queen and Meatloaf on Bluray.
My Mum'll get some recently released crime novel and a cookery book.
My Step Mother is always more difficult, maybe some Belle and Sebastian CDs - she likes Elbow(?).
Nieces and Nephew - books on Veganism/Louis Theroux DVDs/PS3 Game
Friends - Vinyl of bands they like (Nirvana/Wilco/Pearl Jam)

No Girlfriend this year so I treated myself to a Linn Majik DS-I. Might have to up everyone elses presents so I don't seem mean...

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 40
Mamma Mia! soundtrack for everyone this year.

Helicopter ride for Ma. None of that Robinson R22 piston crap. She's going turbine in a 206 or maybe one of the birds by Eurocopter.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 40
I already got mines... (amp, PSU, headphones, TripleFi)
One of my sisters got hers (Sony Walkman S545; her personality will gives it much use)
Maybe I'll get my other younger sister a Wacom tablet, but I want those too
I have no idea what to give to my parents
frown.gif
. Though my dad has been looking at Bose speakers for our home theater (which isn't spectacular), I'll probably suggest something much different...

And maybe a bunch of cards
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #30 of 40
I got the Mrs. some small, chocolate-diamond stud earrings and a "Nook," along with some smaller "functional" gifts. The girls are pretty much going to get what's on their wish lists, since the lists are about 90% clothes and 10% electronics. One son is getting some "family" land for a home and the other is getting a refrigerator and grill for his house. My 5 year old granddaughter is getting video games from me.

Everyone is employed and everyone is well. No one is serving overseas this year. I have a new grandchild on the way. My bills are getting paid and I have liquor in the cabinet. My man cave has just been redecorated. Life is good and I'm truly blessed.

Oh yeah, I'm not Tiger Woods.

If I get anything for Christmas, I'll be surprised, but I'm hoping for "Modern Warfare 2."

I want to sleep late for a couple of weeks, play some golf with my kids and get some books on wine making. Other than that I really don't want or need anything.

Did I mention that I'm not Tiger Woods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back