What foods won't you eat?
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #406 of 424

Quote:
Being Vietnames/American, there are just some horrendous dishes that I cannot wrap my mind around knowing what's in it. This is called Bun Rieu, and that red blob you see there is dried pig blood. The dish itself is subpar, but i will never eat it with that dried blood in there.

It's not dried blood, it's coagulated.

Blood jelly is a bit like tofu in that it absorbs the flavours of whatever it's cooked in. I quite like it in curries. 

Here's a pic of a bowl of noodle soup (including blood jelly) that I had a couple of weeks ago at a random night street-stall in Mae Hong Son city. Still not sure what mystery meat was in those meat balls... and no, the soup was not red because of blood...

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #407 of 424
Quote:
Okra is great to me. You guys should move out of the holes y'all live in and move to someplace that knows how to fry stuff. 

In Puerto Rico they didn't have ovens until relatively recently so they even fry their sweet pastries.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #408 of 424

Quote:
Quote:

In Puerto Rico they didn't have ovens until relatively recently so they even fry their sweet pastries.

I don't think it matters.  We've had ovens in the US for a long time.  How do you explain this?

Deep fried Twinkies, Snickers, Oreos, Pizza, Bacon and Coke!  USA!  USA!  USA!!

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #409 of 424
Clearly that's what innovation in food looks like. You're staring right at the future, my friend.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #412 of 424

Quote:
It's not dried blood, it's coagulated.

Blood jelly is a bit like tofu in that it absorbs the flavours of whatever it's cooked in. I quite like it in curries. 

Here's a pic of a bowl of noodle soup (including blood jelly) that I had a couple of weeks ago at a random night street-stall in Mae Hong Son city. Still not sure what mystery meat was in those meat balls... and no, the soup was not red because of blood...

It's more of the idea that it's blood, than the taste, a bit ridiculous I know, but it's just something I never could get over. Those meatballs do look delicious though, are you in Thailand for vacation?

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #413 of 424
Coagulated blood isn't all that bad, I can handle it. I like it served in jook (congee). I've also tried chocolate meat (dinuguan) and thought it wasn't half bad. I can understand how some people get turned off by thought of consuming coagulated blood or it's texture when consuming it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #414 of 424

Quote:
Coagulated blood isn't all that bad, I can handle it. I like it served in jook (congee). I've also tried chocolate meat (dinuguan) and thought it wasn't half bad. I can understand how some people get turned off by thought of consuming coagulated blood or it's texture when consuming it.

The thought doesn't bother me, the taste does.  It tastes like you'd expect it to IME.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #415 of 424
I tried fried chicken blood once or twice when I was a kid, it taste quite tasty actually.... I can handle the taste and the texture, but can't handle the blood part. That before I know it forbidden for me to eat blood.
If someone to duplicate the taste without the blood part, I will happily eat it LOL

Quote:
Never tried pig blood* but duck blood or chicken blood is quite tasty.
*it's actually possible that I've had pig blood before but forgot about it because it was so unremarkable
biggrin.gif

In my city, the chicken blood is steamed, sliced then fried. The fried blood is eaten with rice as part of meal.
Quote:
Coagulated blood isn't all that bad, I can handle it. I like it served in jook (congee). I can understand how some people get turned off by thought of consuming coagulated blood or it's texture when consuming it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #420 of 424
Just cut off the stem and scoop out the fibers underneath the leaves with your thumb or a spoon and viola! you are left with the best part, the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back