What foods is your locale famous for?
Nov 27, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #61 of 90
OK, after leaving NYC for Florida, going back to NYC, and now being in Philly for the past 8 months, let me let you in on a secret.....

Philly cheese steaks are done better in NYC! The steak quality, the cheese quality are both good, but the bread is HORRIBLE here. And don't give me any of that "Ohhhh, you got to have Amoroso bread with that" because Amoroso SUCKS. It's like a prepackaged hot dog bun compared to NY bread. Not to mention, the pizza here..... Picture Dominos, if Dominos sucked harder. UGH. And What is WHITE american cheese? It's supposed to be YELLOW damn it!

As for NY, well... We have the best pizza in the world. Hands down. Never compared it to Buffalo's, but I'll have to check that out. NY has the BEST 24 hour chinese food place in Wo-Hop on Mott street, the best arabic food at Shwarma King on W. 4th, and some damn fine food of just about any variety. BUT....

BUT......

BUT......

The best thing in NY is in Brooklyn, at a place called Brennan & Carr's. And it's not even on the menu. You see, B&C's has been around since 1908, a nice, old fashioned roast beef place. But if you order a Garguilio burger, you get: A hamburger, on a kaiser roll, with a slice of american cheese, 3 slices of roast beef, and a shot of cheez whiz type cheese sauce. Then, they take the whole thing, and dip it twice in a vat of simmering beef broth from their roast beef. Yes, the roll too. And it's the best damn thing you'll ever have in your now heart attack filled life.

And Florida, well.... Florida has dying old people. I guess that's good if you like to eat that sort of thing.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
in rochester there is 'bill gray' claiming to make the best burger in the world. i've never tried it.

there Nick Tahou trash's plate and its the best food ever.

also Northlander Pizza which has lots of crazy toppings.

Don't forget Dibellas.

Man, I haven't had anything close in LA.

I never cared much for the trash plates.

-Ed

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #64 of 90
Well, since my hometown is Cincinnati, OH......

Skyline Chili (Goldstar too, but I like Skyline better)

Graeter's Ice Cream (the famous french pot ice cream)

Montgomery Inn (mmmmm. Ribs.....)

I gorge myself on the above when visiting my friends and family in Cincinnati.

-Ed

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropism
OK, after leaving NYC for Florida, going back to NYC, and now being in Philly for the past 8 months, let me let you in on a secret.....

Philly cheese steaks are done better in NYC! The steak quality, the cheese quality are both good, but the bread is HORRIBLE here. And don't give me any of that "Ohhhh, you got to have Amoroso bread with that" because Amoroso SUCKS. It's like a prepackaged hot dog bun compared to NY bread. Not to mention, the pizza here..... Picture Dominos, if Dominos sucked harder. UGH. And What is WHITE american cheese? It's supposed to be YELLOW damn it!

As for NY, well... We have the best pizza in the world. Hands down. Never compared it to Buffalo's, but I'll have to check that out. NY has the BEST 24 hour chinese food place in Wo-Hop on Mott street, the best arabic food at Shwarma King on W. 4th, and some damn fine food of just about any variety. BUT....

BUT......

BUT......

The best thing in NY is in Brooklyn, at a place called Brennan & Carr's. And it's not even on the menu. You see, B&C's has been around since 1908, a nice, old fashioned roast beef place. But if you order a Garguilio burger, you get: A hamburger, on a kaiser roll, with a slice of american cheese, 3 slices of roast beef, and a shot of cheez whiz type cheese sauce. Then, they take the whole thing, and dip it twice in a vat of simmering beef broth from their roast beef. Yes, the roll too. And it's the best damn thing you'll ever have in your now heart attack filled life.

And Florida, well.... Florida has dying old people. I guess that's good if you like to eat that sort of thing.
biggrin.gif

When you were in philly, where did you get your cheese steaks? Go to south philly and one of the two great cheese steak places(not hard, they are right next to each other) and get a real cheese steak.

Nov 27, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Well, since my hometown is Cincinnati, OH......

Skyline Chili (Goldstar too, but I like Skyline better)

Graeter's Ice Cream (the famous french pot ice cream)

Montgomery Inn (mmmmm. Ribs.....)

I gorge myself on the above when visiting my friends and family in Cincinnati.

-Ed

Never been to Cincinnati, my wife lived there and introduced me to Cincinnati-Style Chili. Amazing stuff. I made a batch from scratch last week-end (I prefer the full 5-way, with spaghetti, chili, diced onions, red beans and cheddar cheese).

"Classic 3-Way Chili"
p_3way.jpg

image credit: Skyline Chili

Not too many people are familiar with putting chili on spaghetti. (However, I don't use as much cheese as seen above.)

Seattle is known for Salmon (smoked and otherwise).

JF

Nov 28, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #67 of 90
I just thought of one, not from my current locale, but from my childhood home. I was born in Stoke-On-Trent, England and we have a local food called oatcakes. Oatcakes are like crepes and pancakes, only they are made with oat flour. We eat them lots of ways, like with a fried egg on top, or rolled up with cheese and heated under the broiler with some HP sauce, yum!

Edit: these are not to be confused with Scottish oatcakes, which are cookies.

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by knuxed
Here in Malaysia,its Mee Goreng(Fried Noodles).Nasi Lemak(Rice with Chili Sambal) and Roti Canai

Whoa knuxed, you left something important there, LAKSA

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
When you were in philly, where did you get your cheese steaks? Go to south philly and one of the two great cheese steak places(not hard, they are right next to each other) and get a real cheese steak.

That's Pat's & Geno's. Tony Luke's, John Roast pork are also good. Jim's Steak is located in south street. In northeast, there's Chink's steak

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
That's Pat's & Geno's. Tony Luke's, John Roast pork are also good. Jim's Steak is located in south street. In northeast, there's Chink's steak

Pats is OK. Geno's tastes about the same. Chubby's is... Meh. Delessandro's is.... The same as Chubby's. I still live in Philly, right at the edge of Germantown. Which, ironically, has no Germans. But yeah, I stand by my theory. If you mated Pat's steaks with NYC bread, you'd have the perfect meal. Until then, Philly's just a dirty city that doesn't live up to expectations.
wink.gif

Funny thing about cincinati chili: Have you ever heard Ron White's CD? He does a bit about Cincinati having the best chili in the world, and he goes on a rant about how Paco can come up from Tijuana with a bowl and a goat and kick Cincinati's ass. Of course, you'd have to give him a ride home, cause the goat's gone.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #74 of 90
Cheese

My town is the only town in the whole of the Netherlands where there is a real cheese market. Not like the ones in Alkmaar or Gouda where it's mainly a show for tourists.

I never realised how lucky I was with the good cheese we had when I was a kid until I went to places where you could only get it in the supermarket. All sealed with plastic and sweaty and not right tasting.

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Australia is very multicultural so we have the best food from everywhere. As far as I'm concerned we have the best food in the world, bar none.

So how does that vegimite (sp?) taste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back