Nov 25, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #47 of 90
Lobstah (and I hate it!)

Chowdah (clam and fish)

Mussels

Blueberries

Potatoes

Italian Sandwiches

Nov 25, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #48 of 90
One local dish I like from our hockey trips to Quebec is Poutine. Great as a treat.

Having lived in various parts of the US I have some favorites:

Seattle - Dungeness Crab, oysters, Salmon cooked over an alder wood fire

SF Sourdough bread freshly baked and seafood maybe a trip to Chinatown.

Washington DC - All you can eat Blue crabs and beer

Chicago - Pizza, Italian beef sandwich, fresh polish sausage, hot dogs, steaks

Nov 25, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 90
Peas pudding, although I am not sure where that originated, its definitely a northern thing.

Newcastle is also (unsurprisingly, but not for much longer) the home of the infamous Newcastle Brown Ale
biggrin.gif

And Newcastle is home to the worlds hottest curry, served in the Rupali Restaurant in the city's Bigg Market, called "CurryHell" it makes Vindaloo seem like ice cream in comparison, and they will even pay for it if you can manage it all (only one person has ever managed it).

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #52 of 90
I grew up in Buffalo and I can vouch for the fact that the pizza is better than Chicago (yes, I've been to Giordano's) or NYC. But I do prefer the Sicilian style and this is very well done in NYC.

I'm surprised the PinkFloyd didn't mention Scotch! Around St. Andrews what do folks regard as the best single malt?
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Stephonovich said...

North Carolina doesn't have much of a claim to fame, methinks.

Eastern NC-style BBQ and Goodberry's frozen custard says you're wrong.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #55 of 90
Also "Cosmic Cantina" which has inauthentic, but superb Mexican food.

And the best Southern Indian buffet I've ever had is in Cary, NC: Udupi Cafe.
k1000smile.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #56 of 90
During U.S. Prohibition, Hiram Walker's distillery shipped booze up the river to chicago, down the river to buffalo, and across the river to detroit. Made a killing for themselves and a name in the game.

We're also famous for Heinz. You know, the ketchup guys.

And we're really aking a name for ourselves by getting tens of thousands of 19 & 20 year old americans drunk every week.

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #59 of 90
Well, I'm in Southern Michigan too, and to add to the Pasties that Jude mentioned, I would add authentic, Michigan, Coney Island hot dogs. These have nothing to do with Coney Island, as far as I know, but are the definitive chili dog, as made by Greek immigrants who originally opened two famous restaurants that basically sell only these, in downtown Detroit. They are made with very high quality hot dogs which are associated with a superior standard for hot dog quality that only Michigan requires, topped with a special, very unique kind of chili, then onions, and mustard. I've never had anything truly like them anywhere else. They are to any run of the mill chili dog, what great pizza is to a lousy national chains offerings.
Lastly, I will throw in the many exceptional beers from Bell's in Kalamazoo, once recognized by Beer magazine as one of the three best microbreweries east of the Mississippi.

JC

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
Washington:

Coffee (Starbucks).

Starbucks is everywhere. I guess it started in Washington?

Around here we have allot of asian food.
Chains like Q-pop and Tapioca Express, and allot of small, independant sushi and chinese food places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back