What foods is your locale famous for?
Nov 24, 2004 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
In Buffalo, of course, we have wings (we don't call them "Buffalo" wings here, just wings). Invented here, still the best, 'nuff said.
We also have "Beff on Weck". It a hot roast beef sandwich on a Kemelweck roll. A Kemelweck is a crusty German hard roll baked with kosher salt and caraway seeds on top. When done right, a beef on weck gets about as close to culinary heaven as you can get.
I'll stack our local pizza up against anywhere in the country too. We have tons and tons of neighborhood pizza, wing and sub shops. I don't imagine that the national pizza and sub chains do too well here.

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 90
Dougie's Steak pies... voted best steak pie in Scotland the past 5 years
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 90
York ham and of course the famous Yorkshire Pudding !
The Yorkshire pudding btw should be served before the main meal not with it.
We always had ours with mint source and gravy... lovely.

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Well I live in a place called Oyster Bay....

French fries?
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 90
Iron City Beer and of course...Primanti Brothers!

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Philly Cheese Steak
biggrin.gif
and Soft Pretzels

damn, I miss them.

There's a place here in Little Rock called House of Philly Cheese Steaks. I went in and ordered a "steak, Whiz wit'," and the owner stepped up and said they don't do a real South Philly style, but that they do have a cheese sauce if I want that instead of cheddar. This place is now my main source of comfort food. (Incidentally, not having Whiz was Kerry's first fatal flaw of his candidacy <-- that's innocent enough to say outside of Outside, right?
icon10.gif
)

Little Rock, though, does some damn fine fried catfish. Lil' different from the fried whiting of up North...

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 90
Corn

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 90
Bagels, smoked salmon, cream cheese, hot dogs, NY strip steak, etc.

I live in NYC, and if you want to eat anything, you can find it here! From truffles to haggis, from pasta to kielbasa, from satay to sushi. If a human being can cook it, prepare it, slice it and dice it, you can usually find it here. Ofcourse, some things I hope are unobtainable. We don't have a large market for horse meat or dog meat, so with a few exceptions, NYC is heaven for gourmet and gourmand!

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 90
Chronologically, where I've lived...

California (at least San Diego) is famous for it's awesome array of mexican food, from what I remember. And having TJ 30 minutes from our house was nice as well. You could spend an entire day there on $5, I swear.

Nebraska is famous for it's beef. I'm sure you've heard of Omaha Steaks.

North Carolina doesn't have much of a claim to fame, methinks. Fried stuff, perhaps. Asheville, however, has an incredibly diverse array of foods for it's size. Indian, Mediterranean, Chinese, Japanese, French, American, Hybrid... it's all here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back