What exactly is the AKG K240 Sextett?
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #61 of 70
Which is most worthwhile non 7 series AKG? I dislike the 7 series.
I liked the K240 studios more than the Sextetts. The studios are warmer and a little more bombastic while the sextetts were colder and analytical. If you have a warmer source and a tube amp the Sextetts could be nice though. The ZMF Atticus somewhat reminds me of the K240 studio.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #62 of 70
I liked the K240 studios more than the Sextetts. The studios are warmer and a little more bombastic while the sextetts were colder and analytical. If you have a warmer source and a tube amp the Sextetts could be nice though. The ZMF Atticus somewhat reminds me of the K240 studio.
To be honest I don't like the ZMF closedbacks. They didn't tune it right and I hear mid bloom. I don't like such warm headphones and it doesn't work on closedbacks.

I don't like K7 series because 701 is too bright up top without much bass, and 712 has almost no upper-mids articulation. Borh are not warm, and if you know me with Hifimans, I don't like warm thick sounds, I like clarity and definition.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 70
To be honest I don't like the ZMF closedbacks. They didn't tune it right and I hear mid bloom. I don't like such warm headphones and it doesn't work on closedbacks.

I don't like K7 series because 701 is too bright up top without much bass, and 712 has almost no upper-mids articulation. Borh are not warm, and if you know me with Hifimans, I don't like warm thick sounds, I like clarity and definition.
Ok, you should look into the Sextetts then, they might be what your after.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #64 of 70
I got a set from a friend that had like 9 pair. I believe he said they were mid production.

Attachments

• EBE654D0-DD1F-4BB9-AA66-B857C04D9634.jpeg
    EBE654D0-DD1F-4BB9-AA66-B857C04D9634.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #65 of 70
Thanks to a PM I've figured out that my K240 Sextett is either MP or LP. The passives are white but I can't say for certain whether they have some red. I don't see any but I don't know how hard it is to see the red if the headphones are not unassembled.

Also I found a scanned brochure of the early K240 on hifiengine.com, which is kind of cool to see.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #67 of 70
Why are they called Sextetts and what models are the Sextetts? Are the characteristics of Sextetts to not sound warm? Can they be too analytical?
Their called "sextetts" due to the 6 passive radiators used to tune the drivers. No easy answer to your other questions, save for that generally the sextetts are not as warm as the later K240's

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #70 of 70
Thanks. I have the ones on the left, but my understanding is there were a few different variations during the lifetime of the Sextett, and I'm not exactly sure what those variations are because the discussions always referred to that document I can't find.

PS, oops, I see now that Headphoneus Supremus is not someone's forum name but some sort of seniority badge. I'll have to backtrack and find the forum member referencing this documents.

Edit: it was forum member 003 (see post #34 in this thread), who appears to be inactive for quite some years unfortunately.

There are 3 different versions of the AKG K240 Sextett. Early production (EP - red passive radiators), Middle production (MP - white passive radiators with red edges),
and Late production (LP - white passive radiators). Each is said to have a slightly different sound. Some people prefer one version over the other,
depending on the type of music they listen to. For example, the EP is said to have better bass than the MP or LP, while the latter two are said to have
a better midrange. I can only speak in regard to the LP, and I find it a bit bass shy, however, with a great midrange and very good treble. Equalization is useful in increasing the bass.

Keep in mind that these headphones are now over 40 years old, so they may need some work done to them to obtain optimal
performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back