What exactly is the AKG K240 Sextett?
Jan 31, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #46 of 70
Jan 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #47 of 70
Eric J,
I really enjoyed your post about the sextetts, please go on if there's more to tell...
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the radiators have a orange edge, like a halo, then they are MP.
Complete white is LP, as stated before.

Yeah I said in my post they were late production but it seems like a lot of peoples LP's don't have the holes in the headband. Was just curious to put an approximate date on them. I don't see anyone doing that so I guess no one really knows?

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #49 of 70
The Sextett is the original version of the K240, first made in 1975. It differs from the later versions in that it makes use of a ring of variously-tuned "passive radiators," which are like little driver membranes without voice coils behind them. This tricky and expensive device (also used in a few other AKG headphones of the time, most notably the K340) gives a very precise control over how the acoustic backwave returns to the listener's ear, crucial for spatial presentation and general frequency response. Later K240 lacking this ring of six passive radiators are generally considered sharply inferior to the original version.

As has been noted above, the Sextett can be identified by the color of the metal rings on the earpieces (silver not gold), by the large round perforations in the headband, and by the appearance of the inner side of the earpiece, where the passive radiators are visible behind a plastic grill, encircling the driver.

edit, doh, swt61 posted just when I started writing.

I just bought a pair of those with about 4 dollars. What would be the correct price sir ?

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #51 of 70
  I have an old pair (mint) of 240K 600 ohm Monitors - not studio, is that considered to be Sextett?

No they are not sextett's. Yours are gold right? They are a precursor to the current K240 studio and K240 markII

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #57 of 70

Are yours 600 ohms?

Yes but yours clearly state that they are monitors. Mine pictured far left below (carryover from akg thread)

Are yours 600 ohms?

Yes but yours clearly state that they are monitors. Mine pictured far left below (carryover from akg thread)

I would love to get a hold of the Sextett.  I see my K340 is pictured too.  Also mint condition.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #58 of 70
Hi, please excuse my reviving an old thread, but as a new member I cannot start new threads.

I have the AKG K240 Sextett headphones which (if my recall is correct) I purchased new sometime around 1980. Many of the links on threads about this version of the K240 are broken, but in particular there is a document that forum member "Headphoneus Supremus" posted at one time, which showed how to identify the specific version you have. Unfortunately any links to that are broken.

Does anyone have an alternate link to that document, or if one of you wouldn't mind, could you ping Headphoneus Supremus to see if that document could be placed somewhere that I could download it? I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #60 of 70
Thanks. I have the ones on the left, but my understanding is there were a few different variations during the lifetime of the Sextett, and I'm not exactly sure what those variations are because the discussions always referred to that document I can't find.

PS, oops, I see now that Headphoneus Supremus is not someone's forum name but some sort of seniority badge. I'll have to backtrack and find the forum member referencing this documents.

Edit: it was forum member 003 (see post #34 in this thread), who appears to be inactive for quite some years unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back