What drove you to/away IEMs
Feb 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about making my first purchase into the $150 range and my first thought was headphones but I'm debating whether IEM would be better. I own some 1.5 year Shure E2C and some Grado SR60. I like both but I was thinking my next purchase should be a headphone because I'm finding the SR60 to be more enjoyable. However, I think a new IEM would be better since I will be traveling a lot and I do need to avoid leaking noise to co-workers.

Function wise I think the IEM would be best but I'm not sure I could get the same sound as some HP for near the same price. So I was trying to see what others have learned along the way regarding their own experiences with going to/from IEMs.

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 53
I really liked my E4C sound and isolation but it just wasn't practical. They weren't the most comfortable phones, the isolation blocked out sound that I sometimes needed to be able to hear, and they took a long time to take out/put in.

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 53
I like IEMs because they:
  1. isolate
  2. are low-profile and inconspicuous
  3. are extremely portable

In the same price bracket, however, headphones will almost always sound better in comparison. The E500 is fantastic and is easily the best IEM I've heard, but I'd still grab my DT990 or HD595 over them if none of the above factors mattered.

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 53
I got IEMs for their portability and not so much I didn't want to leak music to others, but so that I can't hear others. Difference
tongue.gif
Seriously screaming kids on public transport are annoying

3 things I've learnt with IEMs:
a) Fit is important. Get the right tip and it solves a lot
b) You compensate for not being able to hear traffic
c) Ear hygiene. No more sharing phones for me! (I clean my ears often anyway)

Edit: further to Mrvile's post about about the E4, I agree. I can only get a good fit with foamies. But as the UM2 sit flush to the ear, I can get any tip to work with them. Simply wonderful design. Really comfy. More elaboration on fit differences between the two buried at the bottom of this page if you care

Edit: purely SQ, you will get more from full size cans vs IEMs. But you buy IEMs for the isolation and portability as a equal criteria to SQ imho

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 53
I don't like Iem's because my earwax is VERY runny, therefore ends up flooding out of my ears like a waterfall. Then it gets ALL over the IEM's and....
plainface.gif

I also do not like the thought of sticking something in my ears...

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 53
I went to IEMs because they are small, isolating and often sound great.

I left them due to discomfort as time went on and I had to pull them out every 10 minutes to talk to people.

I still kept my Ety ER4S because they are still great sounding though not frequently used now.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 53
I dropped a lot of money on a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pros and then even more on getting custom molds because none of the foam or rubber ones provided a good fit. Even after all that, the only time I use them now is while exercising. It's probably the worst money spent in audio for me.

I found that a pair of sealed cans is much more convenient at work. They isolate enough so that the coworkers don't bother me (and vice versa) but I can still hear the phone ringing. It is also a lot easier to take off headphones and slip them back on when I have to answer the phone or talk to somebody. IEMs are a pain to put back in the ears.

Full-size cans also let people know you're wearing headphones. With IEMs or earbuds, I would invariably find that people would start talking to me without me noticing it. With headphones, they know and get your attention before they start talking.

-Mike...

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 53
Based on Shure e2c,

Reason for purchase,
+ isolation
+ secure fit
+ stealthy

But gave up after 7 months because,
- loss of situational awareness (isolation's too good)
- taking them off and putting them back on makes sleeves loose... nearly lost one and not keen on buying replacements.
- the sound feels like it's 'sealed'

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 53
What drove me to IEMs was finally deciding that I needed music everywhere and the ability to isolate myself from others often and that a portable-but-still-awesome rig had a place in my life. At first the tips felt kind of massive in my ear, but either I've gotten used to them or they've lost some of their spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that a pair of sealed cans is much more convenient at work. They isolate enough so that the coworkers don't bother me (and vice versa) but I can still hear the phone ringing. It is also a lot easier to take off headphones and slip them back on when I have to answer the phone or talk to somebody. IEMs are a pain to put back in the ears.

Full-size cans also let people know you're wearing headphones. With IEMs or earbuds, I would invariably find that people would start talking to me without me noticing it. With headphones, they know and get your attention before they start talking.

-Mike...

I've encountered the same. I actually prefer the UM2 to the DT250-80 (at least out of my portable rig), but last week the boss tried to get my attention and was confused/perturbed when I didn't respond to her. Possibly maybe not a good idea to do that again. It seems the DT250-80 will be staying a little while longer (as long as I have a job, that is
tongue.gif
).

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 53
in ear phones just bug me, they sound bloated and have a huge fake sound.

Thats what drove me away. Despite the fact they were nice Er6i's.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 53
The pain in my ear after 5 minutes.

L3000's FTW
3000smile.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 53
I love IEMs for portable use, especially on the bus (I don't really use them in other outdoor settings). I can't hear other people and can concentrate on the music -which, by the way, is very good coming out of my UM2s- and other people can't hear my music, which is a nice plus because I myself find open buds/'phones very annoying when other people turn them loud, which is surprisingly easy to do - they become fastidious to other people way before the wearer gets a satisfying listening volume. Total isolation can be a bit of a problem at times, but this happens very rarely the way I use IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back