What drove you to/away IEMs
Feb 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #16 of 53
I like IEMS when I need isolation.
So long as they dont insert too deep to obtain a good seal, I find them very comfortable.

Balanced armatures are the way to go IMHO.

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 53
I was driven to IEM's for three reasons:
  1. Portability
  2. Isolation
  3. Low profile

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the same price bracket, however, headphones will almost always sound better in comparison.

With my very limited testing and experience I was coming to that conclusion. Yet I've seen quite a few threads from some experienced members who led me to think that maybe things changed dramatically as you started to get out of the intro $100 price range. It's not easy to find but some stores will demo HP and I've been lucky to test some $300-400 cans ... but I'm not sure anyone will let you demo IEMs (though I haven't asked).

I think the big problem is I'm trying to avoid multiple purchases but the more I read the more I think what I want is both a new IEM and a new set of sealed cans. The IEM would mostly be for plane rides but the cans would be good for work and home. Heh, just like everyone jokes ... just open the wallet when you come here.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #20 of 53
I was driven away (E500s) due to lack of soundstage (in ya head type sound), constantly taking them out to talk even with the PTH, and besides I do MOST of my listening at home!

Next purchase may be a pair of customs... but I'm done with universals!

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #23 of 53
1. Takes a long time to take out put in
2. Sometimes -too much- isolation (especially when travelling/moving around)
3. I have very waxy ears. Always dirty. Must clean ears all the time

Too much trouble imho. Get some closed fullsize headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 53
IEMS are perfect for antisocial schizoids...like me.
However, there are times when I'm forced to listen to someone's blabber. (IE: Professor; Kids who sit next to you in class, Parents; Bus Driver, etc.)

And that's when it gets annoying. Especially those times when you get the PERFECT seal and the music resonates beautifully in your ears. Someone ALWAYS open their trap and ruins it. Always.

POINT:
It doesn't matter how antisocial or annoyingly social you may be. Someone will ALWAYS talk to you for whatever trivial reason. THat's why I recommend semi-open buds (VIBES). Better soundstage and less annoyance when someone opens their trap.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 53
I don't like IEMs because I feel that I can't breath as well when I have them in. Could be psychological, but I did not care for that part of IEM usage.

I did love the intimacy of the Vocals on the E3C though

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 53
I go with iems for:

1) Isolation
2) Portability
3) Detail
4) Low profile

Of course people talking to you when you have them in is a very annoying problem. I just choose to ignore those people.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 53
from SF5P
initially bought because it was convenient i thought because their relatively small mass. Also i was sold on the "fun sound"

I sold them because it was too much of an inconvenience to take them on/off when i wanted to talk to people.
I really thought the sq on them were not the greatest either.. i had intentions of getting a hold of the shure e4c or ety but I missed the sound stage/airy feel of open headphones.

I ended up buying AKG K81DJ to listen portably ... i was weighing the +/- between those and the PX100 but the AKG were favored because how often i listen to music in the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back