what does your head-fi name/handle mean?
Jan 24, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #152 of 362
Book by Nietzsche: Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Zarathustra enlightens people to his way of thinking. The main idea of which I will not mention out of respect to those of us who hold strong religious beliefs.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #154 of 362
I live in Charlestown, MA. Here, the locals refer to themselves as Townies, at least the ones that are Irish and were born and bred in Charlestown. The townies call transplants like my wife and I Toonies. I'm sure it's derogatory but I think it's pretty funny and thought it was appropriate for my Head-Fi nick too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #155 of 362
Back in High School, I used to sleep alot. I also slept everywhere, in someone's car, during a movie, during class, waiting to order food at a restaurant...

So when Pokemon became popular, this girl started calling me Snorlax. That knickname stuck with alot of people and it eventually got cut down to Lax.

Few years later, in college, I pledged and they named me Laxx. Since my AOL got cancelled and I lost my screenname S N O IR L A X, I decided to start using Laxx.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #156 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Charlestown, MA. Here, the locals refer to themselves as Townies, at least the ones that are Irish and were born and bred in Charlestown. The townies call transplants like my wife and I Toonies. I'm sure it's derogatory but I think it's pretty funny and thought it was appropriate for my Head-Fi nick too
smily_headphones1.gif

I presume that's a misappropriated spin on the stereotypical Scottish accent (see: Groundskeeper Willie), who pronounces words like downtown as "doontoon". Presumably derogatory, but about as offensive as the same perception of the Canadian accent, no doot aboot it.

Incidentally, I thought you were Canadian and couldn't think of a name until that one fateful evening, when you pulled a two dollar coin out of your pocket...

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #158 of 362
Good graveyard bump!

Akathriel is a made up word by Ishmael in Zera'im I (Berakhot). It comes from the Arameic roots "kether" for throne and "el" for god and so literally means the "Throne of God".

I'm not religious just thought it was cool.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #159 of 362
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I presume that's a misappropriated spin on the stereotypical Scottish accent (see: Groundskeeper Willie), who pronounces words like downtown as "doontoon". Presumably derogatory, but about as offensive as the same perception of the Canadian accent, no doot aboot it.

Incidentally, I thought you were Canadian and couldn't think of a name until that one fateful evening, when you pulled a two dollar coin out of your pocket...

Ya lost me at the last part...but I did some digging and found that the Toonie is a two dollar Canadian coin. Interesting that I should find the meaning here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/...i_te/spy_coins

Are you tracking me or something?
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #160 of 362
For a little background, the kitschy coin naming thing got going back in 1989 (87 maybe?) when the mint introduced the one dollar coin. The animal on the "tails" side was a Loon and the coin quickly got dubbed the "Loonie".

Enter 1996, we eliminate the two dollar bill and replace it with a coin. Despite the Polar Bear, it was dubbed almost immediately the "Toonie" (actually, I believe it was given the nickname before they even minted it).

Regardless, how many folks carry around Canadian change (especially in $2 denominations) to make these "spy toonies" effective?
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #161 of 362
I picked nytryder because for the last umpteen years my job has been to drive around at night. I use the number seven mainly because I was born on the seventh day of the seventh month, was 7lbs - 7.5oz, and was born 7 minutes after 11. Maybe I should have made it nytryder77777....... : ).

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #163 of 362
camille is an alias i created in high school around in Gr 10. although I think it was a reference from a character in a movie i once saw. Anyway, it stuck and i use it to pretty much any forum handle and a couple email addys (along w/ an extention 'yamagata' before camille -- homage to one of my fav artists, Rachael Yamagata))

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #164 of 362
If the people on this forum (of all people) can't figure this one out, then may I suggest to them all:

Get a new hobby !

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #165 of 362
As explained in another forum in a galaxy far, far away...one night I was contemplating my new forum name and was soon after having "quality time" with my wife...well,{fast forward 20 minutes}...

[size=small]OH MY GOD, THAT WAS GREAT DANE!!![/size]

'nuff said.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back