What do your kids think of Audiophilia/What got you into Audiophilia?
Apr 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #61 of 139

Quote:
My Kids (Emma 8 and Mathew 10) are simply music lovers.

Emma loves the AD700's - she's listening to Queen

And here are both Mathew and Emma listening to a binaural - Mat's got the SRH840's.  They're both plugged into my E7 (DAC).

I think the secret is to make it fun - which ultimately is what music should be.  And give them as much variety as you can.  Often we'll just sack out on the couch - me with the SRH840's and either Mat or Em with the AD700's - and we'll take turns choosing from the music on my ipod Touch (paired with the E7 so we can listen together).  Nice way to spend quality time on a rainy day!

Beautiful kids man. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #62 of 139
My 3-year-old daughter and her classmates each had to bring their favorite song to school. She chose Jupiter from the Planets by Holst. To my surprise all the other kids loved it too!

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #63 of 139
I'm 17 now and I never really had any help getting here

when i was 12 I bought my first mp3 play (128 MB for 60 euro -.-) and my brother noticed that the earbuds of his more expensive mp3 player sounded way better than the one i got with mine. so we both bought some philips earbuds for 15 euro since they were better.

After that i got an iPod and used iBuds for a couple of years. after getting tired of returning broken earbuds to apple (must've gotten over 6 pairs trought the years. pretty good warranty) i bought a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II. i was amazed by their sound and didn't know earphones could sound that good. ofcourse these also broke down so i got some creative ep-630's i could hear the difference and preferred the 630's.

in the winter my ears got cold so i bought a Sennheiser HD 428 (Zwart). I didn't like these, the bass was non-existent and the sound not loud enough (it said designed for iPod but that isn't really true) i think these would've had a benefit from an amp, but ofcourse at that time i had never heard of a headphone amp.

So there I was 2 months ago and I got an investment that paid of so i had about 220$ to spend on headphones.
I thought the beats solo would suit me better since they were called out to sound good, looked nice and were portable. the last 2 i still think are valid.

on my search to find if the beats were good i landed here and the rest was history. got myself some MTPC ( thinknig of trading 'm for 25-adidas though, I find the mtpc to not sound full enough, like the headphones you hear at an earport, only clear, than again i have yet to get my e7)

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #64 of 139
I'm most definitely new to Headfi, but I think my interest in audio began five or so years ago when I was eleven. I was one of those kids who always took everything apart. My dad brought home an old Sansui Solid State 4000 from work one day; someone else in the press room was getting rid of it. We found his old speakers in the basement and set it up. I was pretty hooked from then on, though I didn't do much aside from listening to the radio constantly and putting in the occasional CD. I was already on a quest for a turntable then, though I didn't get one until maybe last year.

Something happened to the Sansui when I was thirteen or so, it started to make loud hums and screeches, so I assumed it was broken and put it back down in the basement. After that I kind of sunk back into "mainstream" audio, until freshman year when I inherited a pair of old AKGs from my grandpa. The difference between those and my just-broken Skullcandies was pretty mind-blowing. I soldered a 3.5mm plug onto the AKGs and used them for a while, until the crappy Radioshack plug on them broke, at which point I got a pair of Panny RPs. But last summer I managed to dig out the old Sansui and clean all the contacts and solder on a brandy new 1/4 inch plug onto the AKGs to get seriously into audio again.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #65 of 139

Quote:
are those speakers on your desk the logitech x-530 5.1 surround sound speakers. i have the same ones and i have noticed quite a few people here have them. are they good or something i was never impressed?

Nope - they're actually the 2.1 set (sub is under the desk).  Morbid got it right - for casual listening the sound's not bad, and they're cheap.  I'd rather spend more on my cans - for when I really want to listen to something.

I'd love to spend more on decent bookshelf speakers, dac and amp - but for now (new house, big mortgage, and 2 kids who get more expensive every year 
smile.gif
 ) - it'll have to wait.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #66 of 139

Quote:
Beautiful kids man. 

Thanks Melvins!  They get the red hair and the love of music from my side.  The beauty is definitely more from my wife!

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #67 of 139
[size=medium]
[size=medium]
I wasn't going to post anything since I'm quite young and have no kids, but as most of the people who posted here are young anyways and this thread has become very interesting, I'll post my experience as well. I ended up getting my dad into audiophilia, not the other way around! Well, sort of.

I'm 20 and I've always been into music and remember always having demanding ears. I remember being 11-ish and borrowing my mom's Philips earphones because the ones that came with my Discman did not satisfy me. My dad had always exposed me to good music, and we both have sort of good hearing. We share this love for music so he's always been happy to support this passion. Here's the story:
When I was 15 I got B&O A8 earbuds because I wanted some good earphones for myself. Then I went through many uninpressive IEMs because none of them gave me what I wanted. Then I got Shure SE530s for my 18th birthday, which amazed me for a long time and, a year later, an IE8.

At that point I was studying abroad, about to come back home and my family was moving to a new place, and me and my dad wanted to build a nice stereo system in the new house. He didn't know much about brands and technicalities, but as I was reading a lot about sound because of headphones, I kind of knew a thing or two about it, and then we finally made two systems (one for my bedroom and one for his) with DacMagics, Cambridge 340A SE integrateds and Dali Concept 2s.

Meanwhile, I wanted to try some full-size headphone because I wondered how different they were from IEMs and got a K701 and then, after a while, a K1000 with some money I got out of a job. I also got some other IEMs and headphones out of curiosity but nothing too fancy - things like Grado SR80is and UE SF5s. After some time I got JH13Pros and realized that I had many things that weren't being used, so I sold most of them in order to afford what I just got, an Omega II, an eXStatA, and a Little Dot MKVI (for the K1K) hoping to be near the end of this quest to build my definitive system.

At the same time, me and my dad wanted to set-up a good stereo system for the living room since we enjoyed our bedroom systems so much! We then did a LOT of research and ended up getting some KEF XQ40s, a Marantz PM-11S2 and an Electrocompaniet ECD-1. We then went for a hi-fi show and my father was impressed with the Jamo R907s, which is what is in the system today.

So that's the story so far! It's not that I got my dad into audiophilia, he's always been sort of an audiophile. However, he just didn't have the time or the patience to get into all of this so he never knew that so many things even existed. Now though, we end up enjoying so much music not only together in the living room system, but also in our own systems.
[/size]

[/size]

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #68 of 139

Nope - they're actually the 2.1 set (sub is under the desk).  Morbid got it right - for casual listening the sound's not bad, and they're cheap.  I'd rather spend more on my cans - for when I really want to listen to something.

I'd love to spend more on decent bookshelf speakers, dac and amp - but for now (new house, big mortgage, and 2 kids who get more expensive every year 
smile.gif
 ) - it'll have to wait.

Called it.

I used to rock some KRKs for my desktop stuff, but they're long gone. I'm thinking about picking up a little pair of maybe...M-Audio monitors for the desk and a small-ish sub.

But I'm saving for some Orthos...so that's way down the line for me.

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #69 of 139
It's impossible to express my embarrassment to be in the same demographic as those uneducated SkullCandy peasants. I'm sure many of you have the same notion.
I fully agree, I'm 15 and cringe when I hear Justin Beiber or Eminem coming out of the kid next to me on the bus's headphones at 125dB.

When my mom accidentally cleaved the right output off my old apple headphones (oops?) I seized the chance to get better gear.  At the time, I didn't know what headfi was, or what audiophilic gear really was.  I did about a month of research on amazon (in hindsight, the wrong place) and ended up gettinga pair of bose IE2s.  Bose rage aside, they're pretty good.  Lots of base, pretty good highs, but extremely few mids.  

My friends always ridicule me and say "$100 for a pair of headphones is a waste," or, "how could you pay that much!?," but they all listen to the mainstream on their "oh so amazing sound quality" $15 skullcandies.  I'll eventually get sennheiser ie8s (only $100 away!) and I know that'll be a huge improvement in balance and reproduction quality, and I can't wait :) 

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #71 of 139

Well, since I'm 17 I can't tell you what my kids think of audiophilia 
rolleyes.gif
 ::Thank God:: but I can tell you what my parents and friends think: they just don't get it. Seriously, they don my Sennies and they just say, "Wheres the bass?" "It's just music." or actually tell me that my amplifier and CDP doesn't make a difference, not that they can't hear a difference, but that "it isn't better than out of an iPod at 128kbps and why should it be?" Seriously, I was telling my friend about this amp I was gonna buy for my portable rig and he just said "Are you sure you're not being sucked into a con and good marketing here?" 

/ rant

Anyway, thats my rant finished, but I too have an interesting story about how I got into Hi-Fi. It all started with me trying my brothers iPod when I was 10 (I think) and it turns out that no matter how hard I tried his iBuds didn't and to this day still don't fit in my ears. So I decided I wouldn't get an iPod, and that I would get a Walkman and some "nice" buds instead. I ended up trying on every pair in the shop and finally settling on some clip on Sony things. Skip 6 years later to my 16th birthday and I found myself with a pair of XB500s thinking they were just about the best I could get. By Christmas I had realised they sucked and since then (4 months) i've spent over £1000 on my Head-Fi Stations 
eek.gif
 Wallet, I really am sorry!
Quote:
I fully agree, I'm 15 and cringe when I hear Justin Beiber or Eminem coming out of the kid next to me on the bus's headphones at 125dB.

And Scythels, theres's nothing wrong with Eminem, well his older stuff anyway!

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #72 of 139
I'm only 20 but when I have kids, they are going to be damn spoiled with good gear.  They will know what good music sounds like and good music sounding good!

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #73 of 139

Quote:

Well, since I'm 17 I can't tell you what my kids think of audiophilia 
rolleyes.gif
 ::Thank God:: but I can tell you what my parents and friends think: they just don't get it. Seriously, they don my Sennies and they just say, "Wheres the bass?" "It's just music." or actually tell me that my amplifier and CDP doesn't make a difference, not that they can't hear a difference, but that "it isn't better than out of an iPod at 128kbps and why should it be?" Seriously, I was telling my friend about this amp I was gonna buy for my portable rig and he just said "Are you sure you're not being sucked into a con and good marketing here?" 

/ rant

Anyway, thats my rant finished, but I too have an interesting story about how I got into Hi-Fi. It all started with me trying my brothers iPod when I was 10 (I think) and it turns out that no matter how hard I tried his iBuds didn't and to this day still don't fit in my ears. So I decided I wouldn't get an iPod, and that I would get a Walkman and some "nice" buds instead. I ended up trying on every pair in the shop and finally settling on some clip on Sony things. Skip 6 years later to my 16th birthday and I found myself with a pair of XB500s thinking they were just about the best I could get. By Christmas I had realised they sucked and since then (4 months) i've spent over £1000 on my Head-Fi Stations 
eek.gif
 Wallet, I really am sorry!

I also had problems with my iBuds staying in my ears and that was why i got a good pair of headphones (AH-5000), but i didn't know ( i did, i just didn't want to) buy a headphone amp. Well let me say, that amp made a heck of a difference. Im now switching out for a high end pair of universals (SE535). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back