What do your kids think of Audiophilia/What got you into Audiophilia?
Apr 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #76 of 139
Those kids are really cute :3! I'm 14 and I sort of started getting interested in high quality sound back in August of 2010. I bought the Monster Beat Solo HD's (little did I know that that wasn't really quality...) which I thought were amazingly god-like. In December 2010 I dropped them and they started sounding weird, so I sold them for $120 and bought the Shure 750DJ's back in February. I think the best thing about being more experienced

EDIT: Sorry, I had a glitch and couldn't finish the post for some reason, but I made a full post below.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #77 of 139
Well, back in August of 2010 I started having an interest in high-end audio when I began looking around for a pair of Logitech gaming headphones. The first thing that happened is I thought "Well, instead of buying some dumb headset, I could just use a high-quality pair of headphones to game," so I picked up a pair of Monster Solo's. In December I dropped them on my driveway, and they started sounding weird, so I sold them for $120. I then bought the Shure 750 DJ's after thoroughly questioning the users on this forum about headphones in my price range. I got them in late February and have never looked back, but I've always wanted to try the Solo's again to compare and see the true difference. I realized that this big black box thing downstairs which had been there my entire life was really a Denon AM/FM reciever + amp, although I can't use it because it is powering the house's speaker system, but I did get to try out my headphones with it and it sounded amazing! I think the best thing about having a little bit of knowledge on headphones and head-fi is that I know I have the best headphones in my school (ok, selfish, I know...). But a lot of kids in my school wear Beats/Bose around their necks for style, and I guess they will just never know what they're missing! But although I enjoy thinking I have the best phones on the block (I don't wear them on my neck, they're way to big lol), I love to help kids out who want help on buying headphones. Maybe some kids like me will help in personally destroying the Beats line, and will pioneer a new pair of headphones from a reputable company that look good AND sound good, not to mention are reasonably priced. Although I can say that the kids in my school and people I know always make fun of my headphones for their asthestics, which I honestly would agree aren't very "stylish," mostly due to Shure's flat headband. But that's fine, because I bought them for their sound, and the kids that want style can by the Beats, its all settled. But one day, the kids of our world will understand true sound quality, and I am certainly there to help them with it. :)

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #78 of 139

Quote:
Well, back in August of 2010 I started having an interest in high-end audio when I began looking around for a pair of Logitech gaming headphones. The first thing that happened is I thought "Well, instead of buying some dumb headset, I could just use a high-quality pair of headphones to game," so I picked up a pair of Monster Solo's. In December I dropped them on my driveway, and they started sounding weird, so I sold them for $120. I then bought the Shure 750 DJ's after thoroughly questioning the users on this forum about headphones in my price range. I got them in late February and have never looked back, but I've always wanted to try the Solo's again to compare and see the true difference. I realized that this big black box thing downstairs which had been there my entire life was really a Denon AM/FM reciever + amp, although I can't use it because it is powering the house's speaker system, but I did get to try out my headphones with it and it sounded amazing! I think the best thing about having a little bit of knowledge on headphones and head-fi is that I know I have the best headphones in my school (ok, selfish, I know...). But a lot of kids in my school wear Beats/Bose around their necks for style, and I guess they will just never know what they're missing! But although I enjoy thinking I have the best phones on the block (I don't wear them on my neck, they're way to big lol), I love to help kids out who want help on buying headphones. Maybe some kids like me will help in personally destroying the Beats line, and will pioneer a new pair of headphones from a reputable company that look good AND sound good, not to mention are reasonably priced. Although I can say that the kids in my school and people I know always make fun of my headphones for their asthestics, which I honestly would agree aren't very "stylish," mostly due to Shure's flat headband. But that's fine, because I bought them for their sound, and the kids that want style can by the Beats, its all settled. But one day, the kids of our world will understand true sound quality, and I am certainly there to help them with it. :)

that's funny, when i had the srh750djs everyone at my school thought they looked cool. perhaps its a different demographic though.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #79 of 139

Quote:
that's funny, when i had the srh750djs everyone at my school thought they looked cool. perhaps its a different demographic though.

There are quite a number of kids in my school with Beats and Skullcandys, so I think that they're under the impression that the only “quality” or “cool” headphones on the block are of those brands. Plus, I'm the weird kid, so complimenting me isn't really worth the time. I feel like they look slightly awkward on the head, but certainly aren't ugly. Just a little better looking off the head rather than on. I've really never gotten a single compliment, just a few minor “Wow, those things look huge” or “(sarcastically) Ooooohhhh coool headphones.” I can't count the number of compliments I got on the Solo's, sadly...

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #80 of 139

Quote:
There are quite a number of kids in my school with Beats and Skullcandys, so I think that they're under the impression that the only “quality” or “cool” headphones on the block are of those brands. Plus, I'm the weird kid, so complimenting me isn't really worth the time. I feel like they look slightly awkward on the head, but certainly aren't ugly. Just a little better looking off the head rather than on. I've really never gotten a single compliment, just a few minor “Wow, those things look huge” or “(sarcastically) Ooooohhhh coool headphones.” I can't count the number of compliments I got on the Solo's, sadly...

ironically when i first picked up my shures i was debating on getting the beats solos like you did. i did research and picked up the shures. a day later i joined head-fi. keep in mind all my research was done via store reviews from people. the only reason i avoided the beats was everyone was complaining about durability.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #81 of 139

Quote:
ironically when i first picked up my shures i was debating on getting the beats solos like you did. i did research and picked up the shures. a day later i joined head-fi. keep in mind all my research was done via store reviews from people. the only reason i avoided the beats was everyone was complaining about durability.

I actually hadn't planned on the Solos at all. I went on Head-Fi in June to ask about gaming headphones, but I didn't get too much feedback (note the registry date)... I just tried the Solos on in Best Buy and they sounded amazing to me, so I just grabbed them as an early b-day present.

P.S. Do you have any experience with Grado headphones? Like, heard them in real life? I need to ask someone about them.... :/

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #82 of 139

Quote:
I actually hadn't planned on the Solos at all. I went on Head-Fi in June to ask about gaming headphones, but I didn't get too much feedback (note the registry date)... I just tried the Solos on in Best Buy and they sounded amazing to me, so I just grabbed them as an early b-day present.

P.S. Do you have any experience with Grado headphones? Like, heard them in real life? I need to ask someone about them.... :/

no they are hard to come by here in canada. but i would love to try grado one day. i heard they are amazing with rock.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #83 of 139

Quote:
no they are hard to come by here in canada. but i would love to try grado one day. i heard they are amazing with rock.

Gah, I don't want to be bothered buying the SR60's just to hear the Grado sound, but I have no way to demo a pair of Grados. If I was going to get a pair, I'd get the 225's, but unlike the Shure's I will not be simply purchasing based on description, but actually listening. :xf_mad:

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #84 of 139

Quote:
I am 15 and have Stax. I fear for my future. 

Eh, you'll be fine. You've reached a good enough stopgap to stop buying stuff for a while. The problem with me is I'm 16 and need an entire bookcase to store my headphones...and getting into vintage gear, which is surprisingly addicting since most things I'm after are less than $100...and building my own speakers and amps, which leads to "I wonder if I can build that...I'm gonna try it!" I think I'm gonna be done when I make a Buffalo II and Bijou in regards to headphone DIY. Homemade ribbons in regards to full size stuff. Oh geez.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #85 of 139
I remember back when I had very little, or knew nothing about audio. I had a Sansa M230, and a pair of $5 Koss Portables from Wal-Mart. I absolutely loved music with those, because it wasn't the headphone I was listening to. I remember sitting outside on a lawn chair, with a thunderstorm looming a few miles away, while being swept away with beautiful soundtracks. I would listen to music all the time, and love every minute of it. It pretty much became a staple in my life, even with something as simple as a cheap Sansa player and Wal-Mart bought headphones.

With how much I loved music, I knew I had to try something new. I was on the search for a new pair, and came across these miracle things known as IEMs. "Wow! They isolate sound so you can hear your music better!", I thought. I had never seen or heard of them before, so I was amazed. Anyway, I found CNET's top 5 list of headphones, and found out the V-Moda Bass Freq's were on there. Compared to everything else on the list that was in the stratosphere (over $200), I decided to save up for a pair of these $30 beauties. Long story short, I loved them! I listened to music even more. But unfortunately, they broke about a year later, and I had to resort back to my Koss.

Later, came the PortaPro. In a word, I was disappointed by the sound compared to all the hype, yet of course I still used them. Then came the AD700, then disappointment. Headphone after headphone I bought, I listened to and though, "This isn't as good as I thought it would be". Thus, since then, I've been chasing my little "perfection", trying to get something I loved as much as my early headphones. I have found none I have enjoyed more. Now I have learned I need to listen to the music, and not the headphones. Maybe, just maybe then, will I enjoy music as much as I did back then.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #86 of 139

Quote:
I remember back when I had very little, or knew nothing about audio. I had a Sansa M230, and a pair of $5 Koss Portables from Wal-Mart. I absolutely loved music with those, because it wasn't the headphone I was listening to. I remember sitting outside on a lawn chair, with a thunderstorm looming a few miles away, while being swept away with beautiful soundtracks. I would listen to music all the time, and love every minute of it. It pretty much became a staple in my life, even with something as simple as a cheap Sansa player and Wal-Mart bought headphones.

With how much I loved music, I knew I had to try something new. I was on the search for a new pair, and came across these miracle things known as IEMs. "Wow! They isolate sound so you can hear your music better!", I thought. I had never seen or heard of them before, so I was amazed. Anyway, I found CNET's top 5 list of headphones, and found out the V-Moda Bass Freq's were on there. Compared to everything else on the list that was in the stratosphere (over $200), I decided to save up for a pair of these $30 beauties. Long story short, I loved them! I listened to music even more. But unfortunately, they broke about a year later, and I had to resort back to my Koss.

Later, came the PortaPro. In a word, I was disappointed by the sound compared to all the hype, yet of course I still used them. Then came the AD700, then disappointment. Headphone after headphone I bought, I listened to and though, "This isn't as good as I thought it would be". Thus, since then, I've been chasing my little "perfection", trying to get something I loved as much as my early headphones. I have found none I have enjoyed more. Now I have learned I need to listen to the music, and not the headphones. Maybe, just maybe then, will I enjoy music as much as I did back then.

Amen. The first and only "audiophile" headphones I've bought to date are the Sony XB500's that I bought a week back, and I don't plan  to go any higher. I even tried the Klipsch X5's a while back, and hated them. Hell, while I'm at it the Beats sound really good to me too, its just that my Sony's sound better and are 60 bucks. Stuff accurate sound, all I want is fun sound :D

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #87 of 139
You know what, I agree fully with Katun. I thought my Solo's were the best things in the world and the thrill I got with even them was greater than when I ordered the Shure's. Honestly, I forgot that the excitement I got from the Shure's was nowhere near what I got when I first tried on the Solos..., and it actually took me a little bit of time to settle into the sound of the Shures. You definitely hit the nail on the head, man.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #88 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit1010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amen. The first and only "audiophile" headphones I've bought to date are the Sony XB500's that I bought a week back, and I don't plan  to go any higher. I even tried the Klipsch X5's a while back, and hated them. Hell, while I'm at it the Beats sound really good to me too, its just that my Sony's sound better and are 60 bucks. screw accurate sound, all I want is fun sound :D

Easy with the language there, pal.

And hey, you like what you like.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #89 of 139

Quote:

Hahaha
L3000.gif
, i feel like going to try that it todays Michigan windy weather. 

Quote:
Quote:

Easy with the language there, pal.

And hey, you like what you like.

x2, that is offensive and prohibited on here. 

May 8, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #90 of 139
I still remember liking Skullcandy and thinking that my Apple buds had great sound quality. It wasn't until me purchasing the Shure SRH115's for their noise isolation did I discover the importance of sound quality. I was never actually persuaded or exposed to great sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back