What do you use to shave?
Jul 27, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 103
Quote:

while i was young, i used to play around with scissors and cut the fine hair on some part of my legs, and now im having this rough, longer-than-the-rest hair developing on the area where i used to cut when i was little...

Using scissors would have even less effect on potentially stimulating hair growth, as you don't even get low enough to touch the folicle. I hate to tell you that the difference in your hair growth is due to old age. Hormones & genes get triggered at various times in your life. Just wait until you spot hairs on the top of, or inside your ears! Man, the creator must have a cruel sense of humor
tongue.gif

I like the Norelco triple-blade rotary-head electric razors the best. Remington is a distant second. Braun razors just plain suck, and are over priced - stay away. Not sure what others are available where you are. I actually think there was a thread about this a long time ago. Try a search.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 103
Mach 3 Turbo.

Try to buy replacement blades at a wholesale club -- it saves.

I used to only use Gel but now I realize foam isn't that bad either.

Despite what Jpelg says (and I'm sure he's right) don't start shaving lower and lower down your neck. Just don't do it. Take it from me.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 103
yes, im using gillette excel too.
but i dont need to change razor so often cause i have very little facial hair.
one razor can last me months. i probably never change razor more than twice a year.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 103
I use one of the cheaper Norelco electric shavers. So far it has worked just fine. Slightly OT, but my dad has a Norelco from as far back as I can remember, and it still works perfectly. I hope mine lasts that long.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chan130
disposable razors = multi-billion-dollar industry

in the long run disposable razors cost a fortune.

electric razors generally do not require use of shaving cream, are low risk in terms of cutting your face, faster to use, convenient, etc...

In my experience, electric razors:
1) irritate the face
2) spread bacteria, particularly if you have pimples
3) require maintenance (moving parts)
4) make edging difficult (beard/mustache line)
5) the deal breaker for me: make an irritating noise at the time of day when I am most sensitive

My advice: Get a Gillette or Shick comfortable handle with replaceable blades, rinse face with very warm water, then apply a little King of Shaves gel. Shave, rinsing the blade frequently.

This little ritual becomes quite an enjoyable way to start the day.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #21 of 103
I would love to own a nice shaver,but they just don't give you a close enough shave.I had been lusting after the new Braun shaver,(nicest looking IMO)but thanks to your advice jpelg,guess I'll stick with my Mach 3 Turbo.Gary.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #22 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chan130
disposable razors = multi-billion-dollar industry

in the long run disposable razors cost a fortune.

electric razors generally do not require use of shaving cream, are low risk in terms of cutting your face, faster to use, convenient, etc...

one set of razor can last me months...and i don't need shaving cream
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 103
I've been using Remmington electric shavers for several years. They last for quite a while before they start to malfunction, but malfunction time has just arrived again... guess I'll need to read this thread carefully to decide on my next move as well.

Jul 27, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #24 of 103
Electric razors are easier to use, and gentler on your skin, as they just don't get as close as a blade. Still, eventually even their blades need to be replaced if your beard warrants it. Yeah, Braun's suck. I wanted to like them because they looked the best. What a waste of money. Eventually function ruled out over form, and I went back to Norelco.

For a blade, my current fav is the Gillette Mach 3. It's awesome, and gets me baby-smooth when I know I am going to have female contact. But it's not for amateurs
wink.gif
. Some people don't need that kind of power.

Shaving is a pain, but the exfoliation it provides is good for your skin. Just use clean, sharp blades. Don't skimp to use old blades for a long time. And take your time (or just use an electric). Your skin will thank you. Your SO will thank you.

Oh, and be careful with the cologne/after-shave on newly shaved parts
blink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #25 of 103
I recommend that you join the MSN group Wetshavers. groups.msn.com/wetshavers

These guys are as fanatical about proper shaving technique as head-fiers ae about good cans. You'll learn that you need a brush, good shaving soap and an old-fashioned double edge. You may as well learn proper shaving habits that will save your skin, and money. I buy my blades at Walmart, Schick double edge for about $.10 each. With practice, they'll give you a better, more comfortable shave than those cartridge things.

Also, take a look at www.classicshaving.com. Ray, the owner, is a terrific guy who is full of knowledge and he has some of the best prices.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #26 of 103
I use a Mach 3, but I'm going to encourage you to get an electric razor instead. Disposable razors do give you a cleaner shave, but the convenience of electric razors win out imo, especially when you're in a hurry. In addition, the closer you shave, the more risk there is of ingrown hairs.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 103
As a teen, I started with the two rotary knife Norelco - it did the job, was not too expensive, and was easy to clean and care for. You can sharpen your own blades with a good flat stone, and it is easy to clean it once a week (or whenever you remember). I had no problems with spreading germs/infections because I used a pre-shave that was oily and alcohol bearing...followed by an aftershave that had a light scent, but was basically alcohol/water. I still have it, and it still works well - I use it when we travel.

When I got to my late twenties, my beard had developed fully, and the shaver was no longer my favorite...I went totally traditional (after getting one of the Barbershop full-on razor knife hot foam shaves) and got a shaving brush and mug, the leather and canvas strops, etc. I bought several fair razors, but eventually settled on a really good german single edge razorknife from Solingen. I have a sensitive face, and found that Redken Men's soap (it is blue) was the best for me...I bought a case of it, and have just about run out. I am now over 50, and still shave only two or three times a week, using the razor only once each week- as a luxury. I use the triple blade commercial brands for the alternate shaves for less hassle, non-luxury quickie shaves.

I have never had any problems with ingrown hairs, I believe that it is because I use aftershaves that are slightly antiseptic - they sting a little.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 103
Quote:

after getting one of the Barbershop full-on razor knife hot foam shaves

That is a luxury that every man should experience at least once, and preferably indulge in once in a while. Find an 'old-school' shop in your city, sit back, and enjoy.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 103
I use the Gillette Sensor-Excel. Cheap razors are terrible, so this is best comprise without getting those pricey triple razors.

I tried electric shavers before and it made my skin look like raw hamburger meat.
frown.gif

I drink much too much coffee to try those Barbershop knives
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 103
I'm currently using a Panasonic Linear ES 8080 electric shaver. Had a Norelco once and it died. Don't have the time now days to shave with a razor. I do have one of those Barbershop razor blades but it's a vintage one and didn't originally belong to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back