What do you think Opening Ceremony of Beijing Olympics
Aug 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 89
I have a prediction that this will also remain the most extravagant opening ceremony for a very long time to come. I loved every part of it but agree with the Washington Post when it wrote that no democracy could or should spend this amount of money on something like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, my uncle, who saw the ceremony live, said it was one of the best things he's ever experienced in life. Absolutely mind-blowing.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #36 of 89
Audio-visual spectacular, public-relations job for an oppressive government of a great people. An oppressive government that supports even more oppressive regimes in it's search for oil. Couldn't the money be better and more wisely spent? Why do I feel that the athletes are being used as pawns? I don't know, sorry, felt like I had to vent after all the news coverage, commercial promotion, and local conversation. I guess that similar criticism could be made of most modern sporting events no matter where they're held...no desire to start a debate or anything, not trying to stir-up trouble, apologies. Just my personal feelings...I'll go back to the "Music Game" now...

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 89
From what I understand, the Chinese people were very proud of this event. After being "shielded" from the world for so many years, I think they finally felt that they can showcase their abilities and talents.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #38 of 89
I watched from beginning to end and was completely blown away. I had no idea the ceremony would be so incredibly beautiful and sometimes powerful. Never once did I become bored. I was brought to tears when Yao Ming entered the stadium. Just incredibly emotional for the Chinese people and I could feel that. I think I'm going to buy a Yao Ming jersey just because of how well he handles himself and represents his country. (and I don't wear jersey's or sports crap) The opening ceremony will be a great memory for me. I could only imagine what it would have been like live. China absolutely triumphed and wowed the World.

I'm also seriously impressed with the Birds Nest Stadium and the Water Cube. Amazing venues!

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #40 of 89
Anyone know of a great site to watch all the available sporting events? If I want to watch an unpopular sports that will not be transmitted to normal tv, say the 2 round of womans badminton or the qualification round of mens air rifle or pistol, where do I go?

I use Joost and Zattoo for online TV but they offering seems to be limited.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #41 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved every part of it but agree with the Washington Post when it wrote that no democracy could or should spend this amount of money on something like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Democracies too, spend large amounts of money for something that isn't considered humanitarian/beneficial for everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-visual spectacular, public-relations job for an oppressive government of a great people. An oppressive government that supports even more oppressive regimes in it's search for oil. Couldn't the money be better and more wisely spent? Why do I feel that the athletes are being used as pawns? I don't know, sorry, felt like I had to vent after all the news coverage, commercial promotion, and local conversation. I guess that similar criticism could be made of most modern sporting events no matter where they're held...no desire to start a debate or anything, not trying to stir-up trouble, apologies. Just my personal feelings...

Of course athletes are being used as pawns, they represent their own nations; this isn't unique to China, and I don't think it's a necessarily bad thing. If the Olympics were only about sports, there wouldn't be any nationally sponsored Olympic level training facilities, and athletes would register themselves independently. No desire to start a debate or anything, not trying to stir-up trouble.

Especially seeing some replies here commenting on how they are "proud to be Chinese" after watching this event, it shouldn't be any surprise of how a large purpose of the Beijing Olympics is to internationally channel the previously regionally confined Chinese nationalism. This is anything but a pure "sporting event", but I should make it clear that I don't see anything wrong with that. What isn't commercial/political these days?

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #42 of 89
I was at Kathleen 5s in downtown Shanghai to watch the opening ceremony. It was exciting. This is huge event for China and a very positive moment for a country that has a come a long way from being the "sick man of Asia". People forget that China officially exited feudalsim just 97 years but actually only 58 years ago. An older Chinese person has three times seen a level of chaos in their lifetime that we can barely conceive of (1. WW2 occupation, civil war and revolution, 2. Great Leap Forward, 3. Cultural Revolution).

The Olympic may just be symbolic but it is very meaningful in this context. Pride matters in China and they are entitled. This country is booming and optimism abounds.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Democracies too, spend large amounts of money for something that isn't considered humanitarian/beneficial for everybody.

x2 what is everybody complaining about? $300 million is nothing for an event that has been viewed by more than 500 million people.

How much is $300 million anyways for a country like China or a democracy like the US? It is not even 0.1% of the cost of the war in Iraq, less than the price of 2 F-22 fighter jet ($150 million each), a fifth of a B2 bomber plane ($1.5 billion). The program to develop the F-22 is $62 billion.

If the world wasn't obsessed with an arms race we will be having gigantic fireworks every night and everyone out there is wearing a Sony R-10.
smily_headphones1.gif

The journalist from the washington post is an idiot.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #44 of 89
I hope they release a commentary-free HD version of the opening ceremony. I would be sure to buy that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But at least they tell you how much it cost (somewhat truthfully).
smily_headphones1.gif

Truth be told, I actually think most Chinese probably wouldn't have wanted the opening ceremony to be any less triumphant if given the choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)

One wrong doesn't make another wrong right.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #45 of 89
Considering that China is still a considerably large (largest?) monetary aid recipient, $300 million is a lot of money.

But, I would disagree with any previous posts stating to some extent that the money spent was particularly "unwise". The huge and growing middle class of China needs this kind of morale boost, like cooperpwc stated, since many of these people are very prideful of this event, all ready to embrace climbing back up to the top of the world. Afterall, that's the communist principle, the needs of the state outweighs the dirty human rights abuses, unaccounted for corruption, secret agendas etc
rolleyes.gif

Besides, it is doublespeak to suggest that the money should be spent in the interests of the less fortunate on a hi-fi forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back