What do you think Opening Ceremony of Beijing Olympics
Aug 12, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #62 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this fighting aside, I did not know that fireworks display was computer generated. Wow. It certainly convinced be it was the real thing!
Part of Olympic display altered in broadcast - Gadgets - MSNBC.com

It is real, just not those on your TV screen.

The firework did take place, but helicopter isn't allowed to near the area (not to mention actually flying over the firework) because of safety reason. Therefore the part was simulated in computer based on actual firework rehearsal. If a helicopter pilot was crazy enough to fly over those firework, you would have seen almost the same thing. If there is an actual helicopter pilot that crazy, he would have been put into a mental asylum instead.

I can clearly remember some scenes do not look to be real (smokeless firework and wired looking street, etc), but it doesn't bother me a bit. It is a great show, thus I enjoy it as a show and do not question why must flapping hands be interpreted as flying dove but not crow, or whether costumes used would actually match that of ancient time - it is all irrelevant.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's just silly.

Um, care to explain?

Quote:

Again, silly; and you're missing the point. As a spectacle, the opening ceremony was fantastic and in some cases awe-inspiring - something no amount of irrelevant comments will change.

First, it is subjective how good the opening ceremony is, if you really understand the Chinese culture, you would know that the hollywood style show that they put up was not authentic at all. Secondly, I did not say how enjoyable the show was, I was pointing out the fact that some people are taking ethnic pride in this are completely stupid, for that would mean collective showboating is more important than the actual well being of individuals in China.

Maybe you should check your knowledge first before using the words "silly" over and over, your unbased insults are an embarassment to yourself.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #65 of 89
With 300 mil invested, it was surely the biggest I've ever seen.

On a side note, a picture of blue screen of death was a little funny.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #66 of 89
Stop dragging this thread into another political debate. The actual well being of individuals in China is not what the OP is asking for and shall be kept off this thread and this forum.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop dragging this thread into another political debate. The actual well being of individuals in China is not what the OP is asking for and shall be kept off this thread and this forum.

I was NOT responding to the OP, but to squall343. Maybe you should ask him/her to not start this thing in the first place?

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was NOT responding to the OP, but to squall343. Maybe you should ask him/her to not start this thing in the first place?

What is wrong with his comment? Can't people be proud of who they are anymore? I hear comments like 'Proud to be an American' or 'Proud to be a British' all the time, does that offend you as well? Does American or British (or any country and ethnicity in that matter) never did anything wrong so only their people have earned the right to feel proud?

As far as I care, it is your post that drag this into a political discussion. It is unneeded and should not be encouraged. I'll stop at this.

Lets go back to the discussion of the opening ceremony now.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're just jealous the Chinese opening ceremony was better than yours.
biggrin.gif

I'm half Chinese. And I'm not even Australian! :p
So you can't say I'm jealous of anything

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #70 of 89
It was awesome!
But I did expect it to be, from reading how much money they had put into it.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm half Chinese. And I'm not even Australian! :p
So you can't say I'm jealous of anything

Rather,you can be proud of both.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #72 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is wrong with his comment? Can't people be proud of who they are anymore? I hear comments like 'Proud to be an American' or 'Proud to be a British' all the time, does that offend you as well? Does American or British (or any country and ethnicity in that matter) never did anything wrong so only their people have earned the right to feel proud?

As far as I care, it is your post that drag this into a political discussion. It is unneeded and should not be encouraged. I'll stop at this.

Lets go back to the discussion of the opening ceremony now.

So you can decide to close the issue before I get a chance to respond right?

I get to make my finishing remark too.

Olympic child singing star revealed as fake - Yahoo! News

I rest my case.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #73 of 89
I didn't expect to have such a explosive discussion here. But no matter what kind of standpoint you have, it's always welcome to have your opinion. Merci!

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #74 of 89
I think it was easily the largest and most elaborate live performance many people will ever see in their lifetime.. best fireworks too.

sorry to break the news there is nothing left to look forward to.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back